Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Raiders (Indiana to Ohio)

* On this day in 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan’s troopers encountered a small earthwork defended by Ohio militiamen guarding the Buffington Island ford of the Ohio River. Severely outnumbered, the militiamen retreated under the cover of darkness. However, their presence, combined with an unusual flood of the Ohio River, delayed Morgan enough to allow Federal cavalry to catch up to the Confederates. Federal Brigadier General Edward H. Hobson and his cavalry (division of 2,800 men) had closely pursued Morgan from Kentucky. Federal Major General Ambrose Burnside also had sent a cavalry brigade of 1,100 men under the command of Brigadier General Henry M. Judah. Several Federal gunboats under the command of Lieutenant Commander LeRoy Fitch traveled up the Ohio River from Cincinnati toward Portsmouth. The Battle of Buffington Island would commence on the following day. * This battle actually took place in and around Portland, Ohio. Buffington Island is part of West Virginia.

View attachment 196929

View attachment 196930

View attachment 196931

View attachment 196932
What are the 2 buildings in the 2nd picture?

What are the 2 buildings in the 2nd picture?

The Old Meigs County Courthouse and Schoolhouse. The oldest standing courthouse in the state of Ohio. Morgan and troopers spent some time near this venue hunting for supplies before they headed east towards Portland, Ohio (Battle of Buffington Island).

Don't forget about the female spy Sarah Thompson! When Morgan and his men spent the night in Greeneville, Sarah managed to slip away and alert Union forces to his whereabouts. Union troops invaded the area and by her accounts, she personally pointed out Morgan hiding behind a garden fence to a Union soldier who proceeded to kill Morgan.

First of all, Morgan disobeyed orders not to cross the Ohio River into the states of Indiana and Ohio. Morgan was authorized by General Braxton Bragg to conduct raids in the state of Kentucky "Only." Bragg tried to disband Morgan and his Raiders but he was denied by higher command. As I recall, Morgan's "Great Raid of 1863" was an attempt to divert troop movement from the east and south and to wreak havoc on northern ground.

Bill
What was accomplished by this RAID ? His force was captured. He provided the South with no material,he did not distract from Northern strategy (just a flea that had free range on the dog till it was swatted by the dog.) He would have more essential in the Western theater with Forrest.Other than his own mythological raid which brought him fame was there really any benefit of same? Did Davis or Beauregard over rule Bragg? (the one good thing that Bragg would have been noted for.)That would explain the strategy for the raid ,

* On this day in 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan’s troopers encountered a small earthwork defended by Ohio militiamen guarding the Buffington Island ford of the Ohio River. Severely outnumbered, the militiamen retreated under the cover of darkness. However, their presence, combined with an unusual flood of the Ohio River, delayed Morgan enough to allow Federal cavalry to catch up to the Confederates. Federal Brigadier General Edward H. Hobson and his cavalry (division of 2,800 men) had closely pursued Morgan from Kentucky. Federal Major General Ambrose Burnside also had sent a cavalry brigade of 1,100 men under the command of Brigadier General Henry M. Judah. Several Federal gunboats under the command of Lieutenant Commander LeRoy Fitch traveled up the Ohio River from Cincinnati toward Portsmouth. The Battle of Buffington Island would commence on the following day. * This battle actually took place in and around Portland, Ohio. Buffington Island is part of West Virginia.

View attachment 196929

View attachment 196930

View attachment 196931

View attachment 196932
Great job Bill with your pictures, thanks again for posting. My family was from Cincinnati and moved down to Texas in 1859, it is a great town.

What was accomplished by this RAID ? His force was captured. He provided the South with no material,he did not distract from Northern strategy (just a flea that had free range on the dog till it was swatted by the dog.) He would have more essential in the Western theater with Forrest.Other than his own mythological raid which brought him fame was there really any benefit of same? Did Davis or Beauregard over rule Bragg? (the one good thing that Bragg would have been noted for.)That would explain the strategy for the raid ,

The key word in my paragraph which you highlighted is "attempt." Morgan and his Raiders attempted to divert.....

Bill

Great job Bill with your pictures, thanks again for posting. My family was from Cincinnati and moved down to Texas in 1859, it is a great town.

Thanks a ton! There is a ton of American Civil War history in and surrounding the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. I will be visiting John Hunt Morgan's grave and statue at the Lexington Cemetery (Kentucky) on Monday.

Bill

Look forward to your pictures from Lexington Cemetery. Wish we could go but Florida too far for now.

I will also capture photos of the Breckinridge statue, the Confederate soldiers section and the Federal soldiers section. I will place all of them in a "Lexington Cemetery" thread.

Bill

I read a great book on this raid when I was in college. Wish I could recall the title or author. It's a story worth a movie.

I read a great book on this raid when I was in college. Wish I could recall the title or author. It's a story worth a movie.

This book?

15331443657911393107159.jpg

Thanks a ton! There is a ton of American Civil War history in and surrounding the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. I will be visiting John Hunt Morgan's grave and statue at the Lexington Cemetery (Kentucky) on Monday.

Bill
Bill: When you go see the John Hunt Morgan statue can you find out ( from whoever is calling the shots) why it was not put on a proper base like it was previously on? And incidentally, if you are into trees, check out the American Basswood (Linden) tree there at the Lexington Cemetery, it is the largest in the United States! And be sure to put a Buckeye on Old Morgan's grave! General_john_h_morgan.jpg

Bill: When you go see the John Hunt Morgan statue can you find out ( from whoever is calling the shots) why it was not put on a proper base like it was previously on? And incidentally, if you are into trees, check out the American Basswood (Linden) tree there at the Lexington Cemetery, it is the largest in the United States! And be sure to put a Buckeye on Old Morgan's grave! View attachment 199054

I sent the secretary at the Lexington Cemetery an email last week. I wanted to know the exact locations of the Morgan/Breckinridge statues and the Confederate soldiers sections. She responded quickly with my answers. I will ask her about the Morgan statue base on Monday.

I am not a big tree guy but I will place a Buckeye on Morgan's grave.

Bill

I remember seeing this book in bookstores, but never got it, it looked good however, anyone read it and is it good?

This book is outstanding! The author is from my hometown and I had him autograph my copy. This book is filled with photos, maps and wonderful concise information on his raids.

Bill

I sent the secretary at the Lexington Cemetery an email last week. I wanted to know the exact locations of the Morgan/Breckinridge statues and the Confederate soldiers sections. She responded quickly with my answers. I will ask her about the Morgan statue base on Monday.

I am not a big tree guy but I will place a Buckeye on Morgan's grave.

Bill

I talked with the main secretary at the Lexington Cemetery about the two statue's bases. They did not use the original bases because they were too big for the cemetery's grounds.

Bill

Back