Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Raiders (Indiana to Ohio)

Did my search, found answers, learned something, which happens frequently here.
Thanks for the thread.:smile coffee:

My pleasure!

I just returned home from completing Morgan's Raid into my home county of Hamilton (Cincinnati is in Hamilton County). I will post my adventure with photos tomorrow.

Great trip!!!

Bill

1500930629239-1518727968.jpg

While Morgan and his staff were planning their "Great Raid" into the states of Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio, the South believed they were winning this War Between the States. Yes or No? Sadly, this "Great Raid" into Indiana and Ohio started after the South's defeats at the Battle of Gettysburg and the Siege of Vicksburg.
We think it was 'all downhill' for the Confederacy after July 4, 1863. They didn't.

Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Raiders invaded Harrison, Ohio, from Dearborn County, Indiana, on July 13th, 1863. Morgan and his Raiders crossed the Whitewater River covered bridge and burned it to slow down pursuing Federal cavalry. Morgan and his Raiders spent the evening hours in the city of Harrison, Ohio, stealing food, horses, saddles, bridles and boots. Morgan and his Raiders would travel eastbound towards Federal Camp Dennison (Germany, Ohio) on July 14th, 1863.
My family encountered Morgan's Raiders "riding up the glen" further east. You might find this interesting....
Thomas and Catherine Healea and their family had a farm in Tuscarawas County. Catherine was known to her family as 'Moi". Her great Great Granddaughter recalled:
In the summer of 1863, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan led a daring raid through southern Indiana and Ohio. A small contingent of Morgan's Raiders, led by one of General Morgan's brothers, went through Pleasant Valley in Tuscarawas County, where the Healeas had their farm. When they heard gunshots and saw their neighbors' barns burning, the Healea boys went out with their rifles to defend their farm.
Moi Healea saw that the leader and his horse had been shot and were both wounded. She walked out into the melee and grabbed the horse's reins. She was less than 5 feet tall, but she ordered all the men to put their guns away and come in for supper. After supper, she dressed the soldiers' wounds, and they departed without burning the Healea barn, but they did confiscate one of the Healea horses to replace the wounded horse, which they were planning to take with them until Moi demanded that they leave the horse in trade for the one they were taking. When it recovered, it became Moi's personal mount.
Moi was a Quaker, and did not believe in music. One day, when she was riding side-saddle, carrying several dozen eggs to sell to the grocer in town, she encountered a medicine wagon heading into town. When the musicians on the medicine wagon began to play, the horse stepped behind the wagon and waltzed and bowed all the way down Main Street, until the grocer (who needed the eggs) ran out, grabbed the reins, and saved Moi from further humiliation from her dancing horse.

I'd appreciate any more information on who these Confederates were and what unit of Morgan's they might have been with.

I have checked a couple of my John Hunt Morgan's Raids books and I can not find any information on his troopers raiding any towns in Tuscarawas County, Ohio.

Ironically, William Clarke Quantrill was born in this county in Ohio.

Bill

In Lester Horwitz's book, "The Longest Raid of the Civil War", there is mention of some residents of Tuscarawas County, James Nichols and John McGown had horses and items taken during Morgan's raid. They were actually reimbursed by the state of Ohio at sum of $65 a horse.

I will check out book, as have it. I found this information on Horwitz site.

In Lester Horwitz's book, "The Longest Raid of the Civil War", there is mention of some residents of Tuscarawas County, James Nichols and John McGown had horses and items taken during Morgan's raid. They were actually reimbursed by the state of Ohio at sum of $65 a horse.

Great detective work, Donna!

Bill

My family encountered Morgan's Raiders "riding up the glen" further east. You might find this interesting....
Thomas and Catherine Healea and their family had a farm in Tuscarawas County. Catherine was known to her family as 'Moi". Her great Great Granddaughter recalled:
In the summer of 1863, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan led a daring raid through southern Indiana and Ohio. A small contingent of Morgan's Raiders, led by one of General Morgan's brothers, went through Pleasant Valley in Tuscarawas County, where the Healeas had their farm. When they heard gunshots and saw their neighbors' barns burning, the Healea boys went out with their rifles to defend their farm.
Moi Healea saw that the leader and his horse had been shot and were both wounded. She walked out into the melee and grabbed the horse's reins. She was less than 5 feet tall, but she ordered all the men to put their guns away and come in for supper. After supper, she dressed the soldiers' wounds, and they departed without burning the Healea barn, but they did confiscate one of the Healea horses to replace the wounded horse, which they were planning to take with them until Moi demanded that they leave the horse in trade for the one they were taking. When it recovered, it became Moi's personal mount.
Moi was a Quaker, and did not believe in music. One day, when she was riding side-saddle, carrying several dozen eggs to sell to the grocer in town, she encountered a medicine wagon heading into town. When the musicians on the medicine wagon began to play, the horse stepped behind the wagon and waltzed and bowed all the way down Main Street, until the grocer (who needed the eggs) ran out, grabbed the reins, and saved Moi from further humiliation from her dancing horse.

I'd appreciate any more information on who these Confederates were and what unit of Morgan's they might have been with.
What a great story!

What a great story!

These types of stories are the same types of stories which occurred in the states of Missouri and Kansas during the American Civil War. As I study the John Hunt Morgan raids, I can see the comparisons to the Confederate raids (bushwacking) west of St. Louis, Missouri. The only difference is the bloodshed. Morgan's raids were not as bloody as the scenarios involving William C. Quantrill and Bloody Bill Anderson.

Just my .02 cents......

Bill

Thanks, @donna
Some time ago there was a lot of a dozen or so Harrison County, Ohio court papers, etc., concerning filings for reimbursement of Raid damages offered on EBay. Don't know why I didn't buy them, as they were probably quite interesting....

Thanks, @donna
Some time ago there was a lot of a dozen or so Harrison County, Ohio court papers, etc., concerning filings for reimbursement of Raid damages offered on EBay. Don't know why I didn't buy them, as they were probably quite interesting....

I am not sure on why Tuscarawas County was not included on the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail tour,

Bill

I have the book, The Longest Raid, which recounts the routes taken by Morgan's columns. The book would serve well as a guide book on a driving tour of Morgan's raid. What I really found interesting was Morgan's escape from prison. Halleck hated Morgan and considered him more of a horse thief than a fighting general. But that's Halleck, the man who held Grant back.

BTW, it's somewhat amusing that once Morgan was feared and hated and today he's seen as a way of generating revenue. Can the same be said of Sherman and his march through Georgia or the Carolinas?

I have checked a couple of my John Hunt Morgan's Raids books and I can not find any information on his troopers raiding any towns in Tuscarawas County, Ohio.
Ironically, William Clarke Quantrill was born in this county in Ohio.
Bill
Thanks for your response.
So far as I know, they didn't "raid any towns". My understanding is that the Raiders did not necessarily follow the major roads. The main body of Morgan's force went through neighboring Harrison County, into Jefferson then Carroll Counties, finally into Columbiana County, where they were captured at Salineville July 26, 1863.
But outliers did ride through both Tuscarawas and neighboring counties and cause damages to farmers.

Last edited:
... At the age of 16, John entered Transylvania College in Lexington, Ky. He would then come to live with his grandfather at the Hunt house, Hopemont, which is now known as the Hunt-Morgan House...

On my recent vacation to Kentucky I visited both the Mary Todd Lincoln Home and the Hunt-Morgan House, though it was technically closed for some kind of an art event using the house as a temporary gallery. My friend Mike and I found a couple of ladies also waiting to take the tour at the specified time, but nobody else seemed to be there. Fortunately, before we gave up a couple of ladies from the foundation that runs the house came for another purpose and because they had a ready-to-go group they gave us what was ostensibly an abbreviated tour but one that still showed us the entire house and all its rooms with a pretty full description of the occupants. I was disappointed to find that this wasn't the home of the adult John H. Morgan and that fact, combined with the supposedly "artistic" displays in the main rooms discouraged me from taking any photos.

I am not sure on why Tuscarawas County was not included on the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail tour,

Bill
Probably because the main body of Morgan's troops traveled further south and east through Harrison, Jefferson, Carroll and-ultimately- Columbiana County.

BTW, it's somewhat amusing that once Morgan was feared and hated and today he's seen as a way of generating revenue. Can the same be said of Sherman and his march through Georgia or the Carolinas?
Yes, judging from the number of books and films about Sherman's march to the sea and northward. My guess is that, even if not adjusted for inflation, it will be hard for any Morgan tours or books to equal the financial success of just the film Gone With the Wind....

Yes, judging from the number of books and films about Sherman's march to the sea and northward. My guess is that, even if not adjusted for inflation, it will be hard for any Morgan tours or books to equal the financial success of just the film Gone With the Wind....

But do recall that Morgan's Raid was the subject of Gary Cooper's 1950's film Friendly Persuasion concerning a family of Quakers caught in its path!

But do recall that Morgan's Raid was the subject of Gary Cooper's 1950's film Friendly Persuasion concerning a family of Quakers caught in its path!
No, I wasn't aware of that. It may make interesting, Civil War-related watching one night soon....

No, I wasn't aware of that. It may make interesting, Civil War-related watching one night soon....

I probably haven't seen it since it came out, but as I recall it was good and may have been the debut of a then-new actor, Tony Perkins (of later Psycho fame!) as Cooper's son who against his father's wishes goes out to join the local militia against the raiders. Be aware, though, that it's NOT about Morgan and you barely even see the raiders and then not until the very end of the film. It's really a fairly typical story of inter-generational conflict based around the Quakers and their pacifism.

Back