Confederate Brass Bands at Gettysburg

Tom Elmore

Captain
Member of the Year
1570190554977.png

photo from @CSA Today a few posts below

We do not have a precise number for the Confederate bands that accompanied the Army of Northern Virginia into Pennsylvania. What we do know is that each brigade in Rodes’ division had a band during a review that took place on May 29, 1863; 17 bands participated in a review of the Third Corps on September 11, 1863; and 47 bands surrendered at Appomattox. Based on those numbers, perhaps 40 or so bands accompanied the army to Gettysburg, or approximately one for each infantry brigade (like the Union army). There were some exceptions: Pettigrew’s brigade had two bands, and Robertson’s brigade possibly had more than one band. General Robert E. Lee evidently was an enthusiastic supporter of music for his army.

During the journey northward, the bands were often called upon to play as the soldiers marched through significant towns, lifting pride and morale. Nearing the battlefield, they would usually disperse to assist the Medical Department in some capacity. However, on a few occasions their music was heard upon the field: a band of Rodes’ division struck up a “soul-stirring strain” on the late afternoon of July 1 (according to John Warwick Daniel of Early’s staff); the 26th North Carolina band was ordered to reassemble on July 2 to help alleviate demoralization within the ranks; and an unidentified band even played as the July 3 attack got underway.

Some regiments, like the 15th Alabama, established a drum corps in lieu of a band when working brass instruments became scarcer over time. At this stage of the war, bands usually consisted of a dozen or fewer members, under the direction of a band leader bearing the title of Chief Musician.

------------------------------

Band of G. T. Anderson’s brigade. During the night march on July 1, one soldier recalled that “to drive drowsiness and weariness away our splendid brass band sent forth the stirring strains of martial airs ...” (Confederate Union (newspaper), Milledgeville, Georgia, August 11, 1863, “G,” 9th Georgia)

Band of the 4th Texas. Passing through Greencastle, Pennsylvania on the morning of June 27, Dan Collins’ band was out in front, playing “Dixie.” Collins was also chief bugler, and he woke the men with some crisp notes on the morning of July 1. Harold Simpson implies there was more than one band in the brigade: “The regimental bands of the Texas Brigade, which had forded the Potomac prior to the infantry, dumped the water from their horns and greeted their messmates with some stirring martial airs ...” (Harold B. Simpson, Waco and McLennan County in Hood’s Texas Brigade; J. B. Polley, Letters to Charming Nellie, 4 TX)

Band of the 7th Virginia. Sergeant George P. Clarke of Company I recorded that when the brigade was marching through Williamsport, Maryland on June 25, “our band played Dixie.” Chief Musician Richard Hughes along with 12 other musicians appear on the regimental rolls as being present at Gettysburg. Hughes was a native of England and taught music and dancing in New Market, Virginia before the war. (Diary of George P. Clarke, Virginia State Library and Archives, Richmond; Nothing But Glory, by Kathy Georg Harrison and John W. Busey; Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 22, p. 574)

Band of the 4th Georgia. Formed from the Americus Brass Band. On the morning of June 30, in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, the band of the 4th Georgia was directed to play for the men. Private Charles D. Grace recalled, “The music had a most exhilarating effect, and off the men marched, inspired by the presence of generals and the strains of ‘Tom, March On’ by the band. I never saw anything so magical in its effect.” In late August, Captain Robert E. Park of the 12th Alabama noted in his diary that Cullen Battle was serenaded by “a brass band from Doles’ Georgia brigade,” upon Battle’s promotion to Brigadier General. At the outset of the war the band had 13 members, with four cornets, two alto horns, two tenor horns, one baritone horn, one bass, one snare drum, one bass drum and a pair of cymbals. (C. D. Grace, Rodes’ Division, Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 5; Diary of Robert Emory Park, Southern Historical Society Papers, vol. 26; Voices from Company D, 5 AL; https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc798486/m2/1/high_res_d/1002715393-Ferguson.pdf)

Band of the 4th North Carolina. At Carlisle, Pennsylvania, band members occupied a barn belonging to one of the local citizens. R. E. “Bob” Patterson amused himself by chasing after a chicken. He asked Charles “Charlie” Heyer to head it off. The chicken ran around the barn into a hog house, where Bob and a hog contested passage through the door. The band was formed initially by four members of a band from Salisbury, North Carolina, including Edward B. Neave. At one time the band had grown to 18 members, led by Neave. It served as litter bearers for the regiment’s assistant surgeon at Seven Pines and that same year played “Hail to the Chief” for Gen. Joe Johnston. Later in the war it played in Weir’s Cave. The band obtained furloughs twice during the war, once for 18 days and the other for 20 days, which included concerts given in Salisbury and at Statesville. James Columbus Steele of Company C began serving in the band on September 4, 1861, and he was still with the band when he was paroled at Appomattox on April 9, 1865. It’s not clear if he was present at Gettysburg, but during a fight Steele served as either a courier or litter bearer. (Sketches of the Civil War, 4th North Carolina; Dictionary of North Carolina Biography)

Band of Iverson’s Brigade. Although not specifically mentioned at Gettysburg, the band was in existence as of May 29, 1863, according to Samuel Pickens of the 5th Alabama, who described a division review held that day for General Lee: “Had bands music at head each brig. wh. played occasionally. Brass one in Iverson’s played very good music.” Incidentally, on July 7, Pickens wrote of an unidentified brass band on the side of the road near Hagerstown playing “Dixie” and “Maryland, My Maryland,” which “had the effect of enlivening and cheering us up very much.” (Voices from Company D, 5 AL)

Band of Smith’s brigade. Upon entering York, Pennsylvania on June 28, Brig. Gen. (and politician) William Smith told his aide/son Fred to “go back and look up those tooting fellows,” as he called his brigade band. They soon came up, their brass instruments looking bright, and played “Dixie” before “Yankee Doodle,” as requested by Smith. (Robert Stiles, Four Years Under Marse Robert)

Band of the 6th North Carolina. On June 11, Private Bartlett Yancey Malone scrawled in his diary: “we started about sun up and about 9 o’clock we got to a littel town called Woodwin [Woodville] and whilst we was a passen threw the 6th N.C. brass ban plaid the Bonnie Blew Flag.” (Diary of Bartlett Yancey Malone, H/6 NC)

Band of the 48th Virginia Infantry. In March 1862, members of the Valley Brass Band of Newton, Virginia enlisted as a group in the 48th Virginia, and they remained together until the end of the war. Although I can find no specific mention of their activities at Gettysburg, Hiram Edward “Hiley” Hatfield was a member and referred to the band in an August 12, 1863 letter from their camp near Orange, Virginia. (https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc798486/m2/1/high_res_d/1002715393-Ferguson.pdf; 12 August 1863 letter of Hiram E. Hatfield to sister, Swem Library, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia; Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 31 (1923), p. 226)

Band of the 10th Virginia. It was the only regiment in the brigade with a band, but some Federal instruments captured during the Gettysburg campaign were afterwards used to form a band in the 3rd North Carolina. The June 29 morning report of the 10th Virginia indicates 11 musicians were present – five from Company A, two from F and four from G. They included Calvin M. Borum (A), James O. A. Clary (G), John W. Clary (G), Jacob Elick (F) and Chief Musician Charles Eshman (G). (McHenry Howard, Recollections of a Maryland Confederate Soldier and Staff Officer; 29 June 1863 Morning Report, 10th Virginia; Compiled Service Records)

Band of the 5th Virginia/also known as the Stonewall Brigade Band. The band performed musical and hospital activities. Several musicians from the 5th were identified as being present at Gettysburg: James A. Armentrout, John M. Carroll, Alexander Grove, Charles E. Haines, David E. Strasburg and Robert A. Wilson. William H. Foley was detailed to the band on August 1, 1863. Band instruments were transported in a dedicated two-horse ambulance. (Compiled Service Records; https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc798486/m2/1/high_res_d/1002715393-Ferguson.pdf)

Band of the 33rd North Carolina. Also known as the Lane Band. Musician Oliver J. Lehman from Company I was present at Gettysburg; he also composed music. A flugelhorn he played from 1863 to 1865 is displayed in the Museum of North Carolina History. Lehman later wrote that during a battle the band conveyed the wounded to field hospitals, and cared for them. A drum from the band was recently highlighted in Civil War News; it was captured later in the war by a soldier of the 48th Pennsylvania. (Michael Pikunas, Tale of Two Eagles, Civil War News, October 2019, pp. 28-29, citing Reminiscences of O. J. Lehman; Compiled Service Records of O. J. Lehman; https://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/session-2-soldiers-life)

Band of Scales’ Brigade. On June 24, Brig. Gen. Alfred M. Scales arrived and assumed command of the brigade. That night the band serenaded him. (38th North Carolina, Supplement to the Official Report)

Band of the 14th South Carolina. Upon returning from Gettysburg to a camp established at Orange Court House, Virginia, Col. John N. Brown had his brass band, reputed to be one of the finest in the army, play for perhaps an hour. In the audience were several colonels and one or two generals with their wives. Chief Musician Charles Siegel played and arranged music for the band. (A Colonel at Gettysburg and Spotsylvania, Col. John N. Brown, 14 SC)

Band of the 16th Mississippi. One of the best bands in the army, according to the respected band of the 26th North Carolina, it was led by Chief Musician William Henry Hartwell, who was present at Gettysburg. Hartwell could play any instrument, and his musical arrangements were popular among military bands. Sergeant James J. Kirkpatrick of Company C recalled how well the bands played as they passed through Charlestown, (West) Virginia on June 23, and also in Chambersburg on June 27. Private Frank Foote of the 48th Mississippi recalled a lively piece known as “Dixie Doodle” that was played during the retreat. The band was one of those that participated in the review of A. P. Hill’s corps on September 11. (Compiled Service Record of William H. Hartwell; Diary of James J. Kirkpatrick; Frank Foote, Marching in Clover)

Band/Drum Corps of the Florida brigade. On July 22, back in Virginia, the band played for religious services. A number of musicians were present during the battle: Newton P. Bassett (G/2 FL), W. J. Bell (D/2 FL), Philip J. Bennett (H/2 FL), David W. Core (M/2 FL), E. C. C. Curtis (A/2 FL), John M. Fagett (G/5 FL), Jesse R. Griffin (B/8 FL), Joseph R. Joyner (K/5 FL), John C. Paine (H/2 FL), Adolphus A. Ross (B/5 FL) and John F. Stewart (G/2 FL). (James Nixon letters, B/8 FL; Compiled Service Records)

Band of the 11th Mississippi. Upon crossing the Potomac into Maryland, Private Gabriel N. “Gabe” Smither of the Lamar Rifles (Company G) called out to the leader of the band, “Stewart, by blood, play Dixie.” It was followed be the rebel yell. William W. Stewart was Chief Musician. Another member of the band who was present was Robert H. Hicks, detailed from Company K. (William A. Love, Mississippi at Gettysburg, Publications of the Mississippi Historical Society, ed. by Franklin L. Riley, no. 9, Oxford, MS: 1906, p. 50; Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Mississippi; Compiled Service Records of Stewart and Hicks.)

Band of the 11th North Carolina. Formerly known as the Fayetteville Brass Band, they occasionally performed together with the band of the 26th North Carolina, although complaints were voiced that they did not perform up to the latter’s standards. Three musicians of the 11th were captured at Greencastle, Pennsylvania on the retreat, probably with the wagon train, all from Company I: William A. Cline, Adolphus S. Coon and Charles Motz. (My Dearest Friend, 11 NC; North Carolina Troops, vol. V; https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc798486/m2/1/high_res_d/1002715393-Ferguson.pdf)

Band of the 26th North Carolina. The band is one of the most famous and best documented in the army. Formed from the Salem Brass Band in the Moravian colony of Salem, North Carolina, its earliest roots trace back to 1786. It was led by Samuel T. Mickey, who played an E-flat small saxhorn that he called a cornet. J. E. Leinbach, who played an E-flat tuba, detailed the band’s activities at Gettysburg. The musicians, less than a dozen altogether, were initially ordered to remain with the wagons to guard the haversacks of those engaged and to await the wounded. They assisted the surgeons throughout the night on July 1, but the next day they were directed by the brigade commander, Col. James K. Marshall, to play for the battered survivors. A protest was lodged that they were needed in the hospitals, but it was overruled. The weary musicians played under an artillery fire and were “cheered lustily.” They returned to the hospitals after dark, having stopped by the wagons to collect cooked food for the wounded. On July 4 they helped load the wagons with the less dangerously wounded for the return to Virginia. (https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc798486/m2/1/high_res_d/1002715393-Ferguson.pdf; A Johnny Reb Band from Salem, by Henry H. Hall, p. 47; North Carolina Troops, ed. By Walter Clark, 26th Regiment)

Other sources:
-Arthur Fremantle, Three Months in the Southern States.
-Reminiscences, James Hodges Walker, 9 VA: “marched off to the attack [July 3], a band on the extreme right was playing and continued to play until infantry fire drowned them out.”
-William C. Oates, 15 AL, The War Between the Union and the Confederacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. I have no experience in researching civil war bands. The link below has two issues that I would love to hear more on.

1) Link refers to a confederate band that was ordered to play during the battle. They claim it was heard by both armies but no other details were given. Could that confederate band possible be the Salem Brass Band discussed above?

2) That same link talks about an 1862 act of congress to muster out Union regimental bands. Was that act initiated thus eliminating Union regimental bands?

I amended my text because British observer Arthur Fremantle heard the polkas and waltzes on July 2, not July 3, and it has been attributed to the Salem Brass Band of the 26th North Carolina, which is a reasonable assumption because they were playing on that day and they could well have had polkas and waltzes in their repertoire.

On the afternoon of July 3, as the infantry charge was underway, another band was heard by James H. Walker of the 9th Virginia to his far right, that is, south of Pickett's division. That one is a mystery. Given the location, one possibility is the band of the Florida brigade.

As for the Federal switch from regimental to brigade bands, some pertinent sources:

(History of the 88th Pennsylvania Volunteers in the War for the Union, 1861-1865, by John T. Vautier) On 21 June 1862, in conformity with an order from the War Department, the band departed.

(One Surgeon’s Private War, Dr. Wm. W. Potter, 57 NY) October 1862, the 3rd brigade has a brass band again, which is the only one in the division at present. The bands were all mustered out on 1 August and we have had no music since them until now, excepting such as the fife and drum furnished.

(Letters of Capt. Charles R. Johnson, 16 MA) January 1863. Our brigade has been bothered by the band, which has been recently organized out of wretched material. The tune they played was good enough, but one part was played at quick time and another at slow time which put the men out.

(Diary of George DeVoe, 122 NY) May 28, 1863. Col. Titus expecting a brigade band soon. The instruments coming soon. Will be a great benefit to us as a brigade. Brass instruments are the kind anticipated.

(Edmund R. Brown, Twenty-Seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry) Early in war, brass band arrived, 25 men, recruited after our departure from Indiana – never well received by regiment – all regiment bands and drum majors mustered out after the first year of war.

(Darwin D. Cody letters, Battery I, 1st Ohio Light Artillery, The Ohio Historical Quarterly) June 10, 1863. We have a splendid brigade brass band, just organized, about 30 members in all taken from different regiments. All old players. Plenty music now.

Thanks for posting this information! I have long been skeptical of films invariably showing rebel forces marching to Dixie: it seems at least some did.

Over time I have compiled the number of times specific tunes are mentioned by southern primary sources in connection with the Gettysburg campaign, per below. As you can see, Dixie overwhelmingly heads the list, followed by Bonnie Blue Flag.

Dixie: 9
Bonnie Blue Flag: 6
Maryland, My Maryland: 2
The Girl (Gal) I Left Behind Me: 1
Tom, March On: 1
The Sunny South Forever: 1
Yankee Doodle: 1
Her Bright Smile Haunts Me Still: 1
Massa’s in the Cold, Cold Ground: 1
Dixie Doodle: 1

@Tom Elmore. Have you compiled a similar list for Northern bands at Gettysburg? I was curious as to what songs they would have played.

Star-Spangled Banner: 2
Maryland, My Maryland: 2
Home, Sweet Home: 1
Red, White and Blue: 1
Old John Brown: 1
Yankee Doodle: 1
My Love, She’s but a Lassie Yet: 1
Home Again: 1
Ain’t You Glad to Get Out of the Wilderness: 1
Battle Hymn of the Republic: 1
Bully for You!: 1
The Girl I Left Behind Me: 1
Granny, Will Your Dog Bite? (12 NJ band, as of 17 Feb ’63): 1
In the Old Virginia Lowlands: 1
(unidentified polka; 12 NJ band): 1

@Tom Elmore Thank you very much!! I have seen a reference to the Iron Brigade matching onto the battlefield to the tune of "The Campbell's Are Coming" however it has been my impression that that was just drums and fifes, not a band really.

@Tom Elmore Thank you very much!! I have seen a reference to the Iron Brigade matching onto the battlefield to the tune of "The Campbell's Are Coming" however it has been my impression that that was just drums and fifes, not a band really.

Mentions of the Iron Brigade band:

1 July, with Gettysburg in sight, the brigade band struck up the “Red, White and Blue” ... [fire opened in front] band swung out to one side and began “Yankee Doodle” in double quick time [troops ordered on the double quick]. The band men were nurses later in day. (An Irishman in the Iron Brigade, James P. Sullivan, 6th Wisconsin)

After the battle the Iron Brigade Band remained in the town, led by Prof. Gundrum, who later married a Miss Herr from Gettysburg. Gettysburg citizen Jacob Welsh Gilbert played with the band from July 6-29, when he was sworn into the band as it was departing, serving until the end of the war. (Mrs. Gilbert’s Story, newspaper, https://civilwartalk.com/threads/another-lady-of-gettysburg-speaks-elizabeth-gilbert.133545/)

During the journey northward,
2nd Georgia, Benning's brigade. "The Second Georgia band played 'Dixie' as the long column with flying banners marched through Greencastle." (about 6pm June 27, 1863) [The Savannah Republican. (Savannah, Ga.), July 20, 1863, page 2.]

Nicholl's brigade, Col Jesse M Williams commanding. "On Friday, the 26th, we took up the line of march through Chambersburg, on the Harrisburg road. The splendid band in the 4th Louisiana brigade, Colonel Williams, preceded the column, playing 'Dixie' and the Marseillaise, whilst our redcross banners flaunted proudly over the dark columns of our gallant troops." [The Confederate Union. (Milledgeville, Ga.), July 28, 1863, page 1.]

Rodes' Division. "On the 24th of June, our division - Major General Rodes' - marched from Greencastle, Penn., where I last wrote you, to Chambersburg. Here we saw the old camps of the Pennsylvania 'Melish," but the militia had fled and we took the town. We marched through in perfect order; not a man allowed to leave his place in ranks; our colors flying and our bands playing Southern airs." [Southern Recorder. (Milledgeville, Ga.), September 15, 1863, page 1.]

Band of the 7th Virginia.
7th Virginia. Excerpt from letter from General George E Pickett to fiance LaSalle Corbell dated Greencastle, PA, June 24, 1863: ...Yesterday my men were marching victoriously through the little town of Greencastle, the bands all playing our glorious, soul inspiring, southern airs: "The Bonny Blue Flag," "My Maryland," "Her Bright Smile Haunts Me Still," and the soldiers all happy, hopeful, joyously keeping time to the music, many following it with their voices and making up for the want of the welcome they were not receiving in the enemy's country by cheering themselves and giving themselves a welcome. As Floweree's band [Colonel Charles C Flowerree, 7th Virginia] playing "Dixie," was passing a vine-bowered home, a young girl rushed out on the porch and waved a United States flag. Then, either fearing that it might be taken from her or finding it too large and unwieldy, she fastened it around her as an apron, and taking hold of it on each side and waving it in defiance, called out with all the strength of her girlish voice and all the courage of her brave young heart: "Traitors—traitors—traitors, come and take this flag, the man of you who dares!"

Knowing that many of my men were from a section of the country which had been within the enemy's lines, and fearing lest some might forget their manhood, I took off my hat and bowed to her, saluted her flag and then turned, facing the men who felt and saw my unspoken order. And don't you know that they were all Virginians and didn't forget it, and that almost every man lifted his cap and cheered the little maiden who, though she kept on waving her flag, ceased calling us traitors, till letting it drop in front of her she cried out: "Oh, I wish I wish I had a rebel flag; I'd wave that, too." [The Heart of a Soldier: As Revealed in the Intimate Letters of Genl. George E. Pickett, George Edward Pickett, La Salle Corbell Pickett, S. Moyle, 1913, page 82.]

2nd Georgia, Benning's brigade. "The Second Georgia band played 'Dixie' as the long column with flying banners marched through Greencastle." (about 6pm June 27, 1863) [The Savannah Republican. (Savannah, Ga.), July 20, 1863, page 2.]

Nicholl's brigade, Col Jesse M Williams commanding. "On Friday, the 26th, we took up the line of march through Chambersburg, on the Harrisburg road. The splendid band in the 4th Louisiana brigade, Colonel Williams, preceded the column, playing 'Dixie' and the Marseillaise, whilst our redcross banners flaunted proudly over the dark columns of our gallant troops." [The Confederate Union. (Milledgeville, Ga.), July 28, 1863, page 1.]

Rodes' Division. "On the 24th of June, our division - Major General Rodes' - marched from Greencastle, Penn., where I last wrote you, to Chambersburg. Here we saw the old camps of the Pennsylvania 'Melish," but the militia had fled and we took the town. We marched through in perfect order; not a man allowed to leave his place in ranks; our colors flying and our bands playing Southern airs." [Southern Recorder. (Milledgeville, Ga.), September 15, 1863, page 1.]

7th Virginia. Excerpt from letter from General George E Pickett to fiance LaSalle Corbell dated Greencastle, PA, June 24, 1863: ...Yesterday my men were marching victoriously through the little town of Greencastle, the bands all playing our glorious, soul inspiring, southern airs: "The Bonny Blue Flag," "My Maryland," "Her Bright Smile Haunts Me Still," and the soldiers all happy, hopeful, joyously keeping time to the music, many following it with their voices and making up for the want of the welcome they were not receiving in the enemy's country by cheering themselves and giving themselves a welcome. As Floweree's band [Colonel Charles C Flowerree, 7th Virginia] playing "Dixie," was passing a vine-bowered home, a young girl rushed out on the porch and waved a United States flag. Then, either fearing that it might be taken from her or finding it too large and unwieldy, she fastened it around her as an apron, and taking hold of it on each side and waving it in defiance, called out with all the strength of her girlish voice and all the courage of her brave young heart: "Traitors—traitors—traitors, come and take this flag, the man of you who dares!"

Knowing that many of my men were from a section of the country which had been within the enemy's lines, and fearing lest some might forget their manhood, I took off my hat and bowed to her, saluted her flag and then turned, facing the men who felt and saw my unspoken order. And don't you know that they were all Virginians and didn't forget it, and that almost every man lifted his cap and cheered the little maiden who, though she kept on waving her flag, ceased calling us traitors, till letting it drop in front of her she cried out: "Oh, I wish I wish I had a rebel flag; I'd wave that, too." [The Heart of a Soldier: As Revealed in the Intimate Letters of Genl. George E. Pickett, George Edward Pickett, La Salle Corbell Pickett, S. Moyle, 1913, page 82.]

Laura,

Thanks for confirming the band of the 2nd Georgia was present during the campaign. Two other references: (The Climactic Struggle of the 2nd and 20th Georgia, by Phillip T. Tucker) Fine brass band from Columbus under Chief Musician Willis Cox in 2nd Georgia, active as of mid-1862 but eventually disbanded. Benning’s favorite tune was “The Gal I left Behind Me.” ... (Diary of Thomas Ware, G/15 GA) June 24, marched through Berryville with music. Marched past Middleway with music.

Also Nicholls' (Williams) band. (Compiled Service Record) Charles B. Harrison of the 2nd Louisiana, who was present at Gettysburg, was transferred to the regimental band according to Harrison's March/April 1863 muster roll.

Another citation pertaining to the band of the 7th Virginia: (David E. Johnston, The Story of a Confederate Boy in the Civil War) June 27, Chambersburg, some ladies appeared and volunteered to deliver a sharp, spicy address, which was responded to by the band of our regiment, with “Dixie.”

Image (12).jpg

… Band of the 4th Georgia. Formed from the Americus Brass Band. On the morning of June 30, in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, the band of the 4th Georgia was directed to play for the men. Private Charles D. Grace recalled, “The music had a most exhilarating effect, and off the men marched, inspired by the presence of generals and the strains of ‘Tom, March On’ by the band. I never saw anything so magical in its effect.” In late August, Captain Robert E. Park of the 12th Alabama noted in his diary that Cullen Battle was serenaded by “a brass band from Doles’ Georgia brigade,” upon Battle’s promotion to Brigadier General. At the outset of the war the band had 13 members, with four cornets, two alto horns, two tenor horns, one baritone horn, one bass, one snare drum, one bass drum and a pair of cymbals. (C. D. Grace, Rodes’ Division, Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 5; Diary of Robert Emory Park, Southern Historical Society Papers, vol. 26; Voices from Company D, 5 AL; https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc798486/m2/1/high_res_d/1002715393-Ferguson.pdf)
Back in the 1980's there was a reenactment group formed in California that represented the Americus, Georgia band (for civilian appearances) and the Fourth Georgia Regimental Band at reenactments like First Manassas below and living history events like Vicksburg above. Using both original and reproduction instruments, they were a fine group and I'm happy to own one of the recordings of period music they made!

Image (15).jpg

26th North Carolina Regimental Band.

View attachment 327421

From left to right: Samuel T. Mickey, A. P. Gibson, J. O. Hall, W. H. Hall, A. L. Hauser, Daniel T. Crouse, Julius A. Leinbach and James M. Fisher. The image was reportedly taken in July or August 1862 when the musicians were in Salem. Fisher had served in the band prior to the war but did not serve in the regiment. Alexander C. Meinung was also a member of the band, but was not in this image. (Moravians in North Carolina, by Jennifer Jean Bower, Arcadia Publishing, 2006, p. 49)

As noted above, Mickey and Leinbach were at Gettysburg. So was William H. Hall, although he was captured at Greencastle on July 5, probably while accompanying the wagon train of wounded. Likewise, Dan Crouse was at Gettysburg; he is mentioned in Mickey's diary.

From the image, presumably we now know what Leinbach's E-flat tuba and Mickey's saxhorn/cornet looked like.

Last edited:
Wonderful Thread..

The sound of Fife and Drum always stirred my soul when reenacting... But this is different...

This is about Gettysburg and but would like to note Bands North and south playing on the eve of the Battle of Murfreesboro/ Stones River in 1862 and Bands going in to Battle at the Battle of Franklin in 1864.

Carry on look forward to more Band Talk

Back