Confederate Army of the South Regiment/Brigade/Division strengths, April 1865

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I was wondering if there were similar statistics as the Appomattox surrender numbers to the surrender strength of the Army of the South later that month. I only know of a few units. For example, from Lundberg brigade history, the 1st Texas Consolidated surrendered 501 men on their rolls. I was wondering if similar statistics are available

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Mark L. Bradley's The Battle of Bentonville: Last Stand in the Carolinas has a pretty concise list in it if I recall correctly. I can't find my copy right now, but it has great numbers as far as I know.
Good to know, may look it up later, though it is not in my possession

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I should note I just contacted a friend of mine who owns Bradley's Bentonville book. He says there are NO tables or numbers available for what I ask for. He did mention he had a book on Wyse Fork by another author which contained numbers.
Apparently, H. R. Jackson's Brigade numbered just 76 men.

Luke Freet

First Sergeant
Forum Host
From the Wyse Fork Book, detailing Confederate troops in the engagement there:
1621611935357.png
1621612020641.png

1621612077627.png

1621612141067.png

1621612157738.png

RedRover

Corporal
I was wondering if there were similar statistics as the Appomattox surrender numbers to the surrender strength of the Army of the South later that month. I only know of a few units. For example, from Lundberg brigade history, the 1st Texas Consolidated surrendered 501 men on their rolls. I was wondering if similar statistics are available
A general return of Confederate Military Forces prior to April, 1865, showed less than 50% of officers and personnel were yet present in the ranks, so far as the data received went.
1622473400760.png

This is taken from Charles W. Wesley's interesting, and mercifully concise, "The Collapse of the Confederacy" (1937)
Wesley, Collapse of the Confederacy, Hathi Trust

Jesse Marshall,
Hernando, FL