Uniforms Confederate Army of Tennessee Major's frock coat

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I went to the small museum in Fernandina Florida yesterday and thought might enjoy a look at this frock coat.
20190226_080848.jpg

Last edited:
I have often wondered how many Civil War uniforms and hats/cap are out there in smaller museums. To understand Civil War Confederate uniforms it is important to study as many as possible. With a kepi here, a frock coat there, in these smaller museums it complicates study.

I have often wondered how many Civil War uniforms and hats/cap are out there in smaller museums. To understand Civil War Confederate uniforms it is important to study as many as possible. With a kepi here, a frock coat there, in these smaller museums it complicates study.
Here is one from my site http://csa-railroads.com/Essays/Orignial Docs/MISC/MISC,_MMU.htm

Maj. Mason Morfit was a CSA QM who worked railroad issues until early 1864 when he was made commander of the guards at the Danville prison, the became the Post QM at the Salibury prison in late 8164.

A little late to the convo here, but if anyone is near Charleston SC there's a small (but incredible) museum downtown near the market: https://www.confederatemuseumcharlestonsc.com/. There's a cannon, tons of guns and swords, brogans, canteens, personal effects, flags that flew in Charleston during the early stages of the war (including the first Confederate flag to fly over Sumter), important documents, and - pertaining to this thread - probably 10-15 full uniforms. Some of the uniforms show bullet holes where the soldier was shot. Really an incredible museum, and it's only $5. It has kind of crazy hours... closed on Mondays and only open from like 11-3:30 other days - but it's a stunner.

I have often wondered how many Civil War uniforms and hats/cap are out there in smaller museums.
From my experience, quite a few examples remain.

The problem is . . . (for various reasons). . . it's the small museums that have been closing a rapid rate over the last couple of decades.
What happens to the displayed uniforms/artifacts is anyone's guess.

I can only hope the uniforms are being preserved.

Whether in a private collection, or even in the basement of a professional facility . . . as long as they are preserved.

As you've probably read in our Company of Military Historians quarterly magazine, our organization is facing an issue with the continued conservation/preservation of the many uniforms in the vast collection of the Society.

As with most anything, the common denominator is one word:

Money.

At The Company of Military Historians annual conventions we have discussed this. We had a women (I can not remember her name) at one convention who gave us an estimate of the cost of conserving two of our Civil War uniforms. Some of the uniforms have been brought to the conventions.

There was no doubt in my mind we, as a society, were trusted to care for the uniform collection entrusted to us. Our uniform collection needs some help, especially a couple of out Civil War uniform, and we are obliged to care for them. I do understand that no one wants to spend money, but there are times that being a part of a society that has obligations, will involve giving money.

Major Fairbanks frock coat pictured seems to be a campaign--daily and battle coat--without trim of any kind other than the single star of a major's rank. I like the practicality of that, and bet it was very common and leads to the assumption that most of the highly trimmed officers' frock coats in museums were their dress coats that were safely packed away during the rigors of campaign and battle.

Here is one from my site http://csa-railroads.com/Essays/Orignial Docs/MISC/MISC,_MMU.htm

Maj. Mason Morfit was a CSA QM who worked railroad issues until early 1864 when he was made commander of the guards at the Danville prison, the became the Post QM at the Salibury prison in late 8164.
I wonder if the uniform is still in Kevin's museum as I have the book displayed with the uniform in the picture. Sad that these things are broken up.

Back