Confederate $100,000 Bond

It's the same Heritage that was in operation almost 30 years ago?
I believe they've been in business since the early 1980s. Over the years I've bid and won a few of the harder to find in high grade condition Confederate state issued notes and never had any issues with their descriptions or grading of what I've won.

Is there a good reference book that gives the serial numbers of the real bonds?
The Comprehensive Catalog and History of Confederate Bonds (Second Edition) by Douglas B. Ball and Henry F. Simmons, Jr.

This is the primo source for Confederate bonds, their serial numbers and the correct signatures on them. Make sure you get the second edition and I've found that Ebay sellers have the most inexpensive price on this book compared to other sources.

20210916_210337.jpg

I also have the $1000 Jackson bond. When I purchased it, I honestly had no idea what I was buying, except that I liked it. It came framed, so I never knew anything about what was printed on the back, signatures, or any other details regarding serial numbers, etc. It was with the help and expertise of @Copperhead-mi that I learned it is known as a Ball #241 bond and is most likely authentic.

View attachment 414319

I also have the $1000 Jackson bond. When I purchased it, I honestly had no idea what I was buying, except that I liked it. It came framed, so I never knew anything about what was printed on the back, signatures, or any other details regarding serial numbers, etc. It was with the help and expertise of @Copperhead-mi that I learned it is known as a Ball #241 bond and is most likely authentic.

Here is the Ball #241 from his book. Notice the bond serial numbers are from #71 through #34,891(the actual photo in the book is the same tone of pink as yours. Also, prices are out of date.):

Ball241.jpg

It's the same Heritage that was in operation almost 30 years ago?
I believe they've been in business since the early 1980s. Over the years I've bid and won a few of the harder to find in high grade condition Confederate state issued notes and never had any issues with their descriptions or grading of what I've won.
I think it is... Heritage is a “gold standard” so if they say the item is legit, it’s legit.
My experiences with Heritage - by then located in the *new* office building - were somewhat less-than-satisfactory, but for reasons more-or-less outside their control: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/my-adventures-consigning-my-sword-collection.114828/

My experiences with Heritage - by then located in the *new* office building - were somewhat less-than-satisfactory, but for reasons more-or-less outside their control: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/my-adventures-consigning-my-sword-collection.114828/
I would think that with items like currency or bonds they do a much better job. With relics like swords or firearms, there is less of a standard to look to.

How does one authenticate then price a one of a kind item?

Back