Confederate $10 bill

FrankN

Corporal
Hello,
I wanted to add a few small confederate items to my humble ACW collection. I know Confederate pieces are rare and often faked and my hands on experience with them is limited, so I’m just adding a couple of relatively inexpensive relics. I like the look of this $10 bill. I like the ”flying artillery”. I also added a couple of buttons that I’ll post in a separate Thread. Any comments welcome and thanks for looking!

Regards,
Frank
6DADA9EA-42A9-446C-B925-8022C0AEA324.jpeg
1FF82AB8-C918-4F04-87A8-8D6D8391F632.jpeg

Read that this particular $10.00 had over 120 varieties with over 9,000,000 notes printed and is the most commonly available.
That's absolutely correct. It's a very nice 1864 note. Congratulations on adding it to your collection! If you want to collect Confederate currency, a good way to start is to collect the 1864 type notes. There is a 500, 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2, 1, 0.50. You can get the 20 and lower denominations for less than 100 dollars in VF condition. Confederate paper money collecting is in my opinion, the greatest hobby out there! It's very rewarding when you come across a rare variety or when you find a nice vignette on your note like this one!

Hello,
I wanted to add a few small confederate items to my humble ACW collection. I know Confederate pieces are rare and often faked and my hands on experience with them is limited, so I’m just adding a couple of relatively inexpensive relics. I like the look of this $10 bill. I like the ”flying artillery”. I also added a couple of buttons that I’ll post in a separate Thread. Any comments welcome and thanks for looking!

Regards,
FrankView attachment 422998View attachment 422999
What some might think interesting about this note is that your signature on the left is also the one Abraham Lincoln had on his Confederate note that he got from Petersburg. He carried that note in his wallet until he was assassinated.

Thank you all. My personal interest is in the choices made by both governments in their finance. I started reading in this subject a very long time ago (I am now almost 77), and I have finally come to the beginnings of wisdom by studying the flows of the actual money - the coinage and currency issued by the Federal and Confederate governments and the IOUs printed by the States and authorized banks. As people are now realizing about modern finance, the prices are set not by the information they contain (the Fama perfect market hypothesis) but by the volume and breadth of the transactions. The financial decline and fall of the Confederacy is described in almost all financial histories of the period as inevitable; it was not. Confederate paper was heavily discounted from par just as Greenbacks were; but it was not comparable to the Congressional IOUs of the Revolutionary War. The Confederate dollar did not as "worthless as a Continental" until the spring of 1865.

Thanks for all the comments and interesting insight! For now I just wanted to have a few confederate items in my ACW display case. But as collectors we always seem to find another space to fill with more interesting history! Confederate currency is very interesting!

Frank

I use to work as a guide at the Shaker Village in Canterbury NH. After the last Shaker resident passed away, the main living house was open for tours. In one room the Shakers had created a small museum filled with interesting artifacts. Many were used in the Shaker classroom as hands on examples. In a glass case was a stack (15 or 20) Confederate bills of different currency. They are the real deal. When I first saw them I explained to the head curator what he had. He just smiled and nodded.

Back