Concerning the Navy

purplesmurf

Cadet
I am looking for any information about the Navy's involvment during the war. I accidentally found some information that told me the sailors fought on land. They also had a specially made howitzer. I would love any other information anyone has to share.

THere is a lot of info out there, Sailors & Marines were often better armed than soildiers in the small arms department and the gun you refer to was refered to as a Boat Howitzer. Though the Brown Water Navy had some that were considerably larger...

Big BOOM! Marines and sailors were active in taking key ports such as New Orleans early in the conflict to tighten Lincoln's blockade. You might want to look up General Burnside's operation on the Carolina islands.

Or the Navy in the Red River campaign, one of my favorite campaigns to read up on. Not exactly the Navy command's finest moment...the damp sand boast and all...

Respectfully

I have a book in my collection called "Civil War Navies". I'll get the complete title and author and post it later. It lists every vessel of the Union and Confederate navies.

Back