Comprehensive list of Civil War artillery?

What would be the common name of artillery that fired a 3.3" projectile? Perhaps @John Winn knows? I probably missed it above. If so, I apologize.

You rang ?

Those were Parrott rifles and they fired Dyer and Archer bolts (maybe others too - too lazy to go look it up just now). I think the 3.3 inch rifles were Confederate only (again, going from memory), small in number, and manufactured early in the war.

Last edited:
You rang ?

Those were Parrott rifles and they fired Dyer and Archer bolts (maybe others too - too lazy to go look it up just now). I think the 3.3 inch rifles were Confederate only (again, going from memory), small in number, and manufactured early in the war.
Thanks John! The bore diameter of a 20-pounder Parrott - that I could find- is 3.67. Clearly, a 3.3" would fit. I just didn't know if 3.3" was too small.

Thanks John! The bore diameter of a 20-pounder Parrott - that I could find- is 3.67. Clearly, a 3.3" would fit. I just didn't know if 3.3" was too small.

The ones I'm talking about were not 20 pounders but, instead, very close to the 3 inch Parrott rifles. Seems that early on some were made with 3.3 inch bores and the Archer bolts were made to fit. Not common.

The ones I'm talking about were not 20 pounders but, instead, very close to the 3 inch Parrott rifles. Seems that early on some were made with 3.3 inch bores and the Archer bolts were made to fit. Not common.
Thanks. I found a 3.3" Disk-Saboted Selma bolt a few years back. My brother found a 3.3" Read bolt about 6 feet away. They were fired by Confederates and I'm sure the artillery unit eventually made it into Vicksburg but I'm not 100% sure. I want to go through the Vicksburg Park web site and look for known Confederate guns that served there and that they have listed and thought I'd get some idea of what to look for before I waded into it. Unless the park lists something like such-and-such unit served a 3.3" gun here on June 7th or something, I probably won't know what to look for. Even if the unit I'm looking for was captured before retreating into Vicksburg, it would be nice to just know if there were any 3.3" guns there. I just don't know what they might be called.

Back