Comprehensive list of Civil War artillery?

Billy1977

Sergeant
Hello everybody, I was wondering if for quick reference purposes we could compile a comprehensive list of the various types of artillery pieces used in the war. In researching Civil War artillery lately I'm amazed at the variety of pieces in use, way more than I had thought previously. Here's a list of what pieces I've found so far in service with Union forces:

6-pdr. field gun Model 1841
12-pdr. field gun Model 1857 ("Napoleon" gun)
10-pdr. Parrott Rifle
20-pdr. Parrott Rifle
30-pdr. Parrott Rifle
14-pdr. James Rifles (three types)
3-in. Ordnance Rifle
12-pdr. howitzer Model 1841
12-pdr. mountain howitzer Model 1841
24-pdr. howitzer
24-pdr. Coehorn mortar Model 1841
24-pdr. Model 1839 siege rifle (rifled with James method)
32-pdr. Model 1829 siege rifle (rifled with James method)
42-pdr. Model 1841 siege rifle (rifled with James method)
4.5-in. Siege Rifle
8-in. Rodman Columbiad
10-in. Rodman Columbiad
15-in. Rodman Columbiad
100-pdr. Parrott Rifle
200-pdr. Parrott Rifle
300-pdr. Parrott Rifle
8-in. siege mortar Model 1841
10-in. siege mortar Model 1841
10-in. seacoast mortar Model 1841
13-in. seacoast mortar Model 1861

Am I missing any? Surely I must have forgotten one or two here or there.

I posted a thread about a breech loader called the Williams Gun that was 1.57 caliber. There are 2 threads that talk about it. Im not sure which thread has it, but someone posted a very comprehensive list of Confederate artillery--- as I recall the list was 3x longer than your list.
Try a search.

I posted a thread about a breech loader called the Williams Gun that was 1.57 caliber. There are 2 threads that talk about it. Im not sure which thread has it, but someone posted a very comprehensive list of Confederate artillery--- as I recall the list was 3x longer than your list.
Try a search.

Thanks DixieRifles, I haven't even begun to list the C.S. artillery yet and I hadn't even heard of the Williams Gun. I'll search. Thanks a lot!

Thanks DixieRifles, I haven't even begun to list the C.S. artillery yet and I hadn't even heard of the Williams Gun. I'll search. Thanks a lot!

Williams Gun
Largest thread started by me.
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/williams-10-ounce-artillery-gun.13171/

Page 3 begins the List of Confederate guns.
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/williams-10-ounce-artillery-gun.13171/page-3

Other threads with video liks of replicas:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/williams-breech-loading-cannon.128430/

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-williams-gun.96236/

Wow DixieRifles that sure was one heck of a list of Confederate artillery! There's no way I could top that so if it's alright with the moderators I'm thinking let's make this thread into as comprehensive a list as possible of Union artillery, strictly U.S. Army artillery, as naval artillery is a subject unto itself.

Was the Wiard 12-pdr. a smoothbore or rifled? I've found different references to it being a smoothbore gun, a howitzer and a rifled gun. I know the Wiard 6-pdr. was a rifle but I thought the 12-pdr. was smoothbore. In a good photo showing inside the muzzle of a 12-pdr. Wiard it certainly appears smooth as a baby's bottom but I have no way of knowing if it was a one-off test piece and the main production model may have been rifled. Here's the photo:
Civil War; Union.artillery.12-pdr.Wiard.smoothbore.field.gun..jpg

Thanks, I had thought it was a smoothbore. Mainly what threw me off was this photo here of a Wiard 12-pdr. gun tube and the plaque next to it claims it's a "12-pounder Wiard Rifle" but I can't see into the muzzle to confirm or disprove it.
Civil War; Union.artillery.12-pdr.Wiard.smoothbore.field.gun......jpg

But there again, this itself here could be some one-off test piece that was rifled by Norman Wiard as an experiment to see how his 12-pdr. would work as a rifled piece or something, just a guess. I would want something more substantial than that movie theater divider thing holding it up against the wall though! Who thought that was a good idea? Looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen!

Was the Wiard 12-pdr. a smoothbore or rifled? I've found different references to it being a smoothbore gun, a howitzer and a rifled gun. I know the Wiard 6-pdr. was a rifle but I thought the 12-pdr. was smoothbore. In a good photo showing inside the muzzle of a 12-pdr. Wiard it certainly appears smooth as a baby's bottom but I have no way of knowing if it was a one-off test piece and the main production model may have been rifled. Here's the photo:
View attachment 140492

This piece is indeed a 3.67 inch (12 pounder) puddle semi-steel Wiard Rifle. For unknown reasons the mouth of the bore was machined to appear smooth though it is still rifled further into the bore. This particular rifle is part of the Shiloh collection and was formerly located adjacent to the monument to Silversparre's Illinois Battery near the visitor center. It has since been moved to a new location at Bartlett's Battery monument on the north end of the Eastern Corinth Road (just north of the Hornet's Nest).
Norman Wiard manufactured rifles. At one point he proposed to replace his original 3.67 inch (12 pounder) with a 4.62 (12 pounder) smoothbore howitzer. There are no contract records of any smoothbores cast by Wiard. All of the Wiard cannon were cast at Tugnot, Dally & Company in Manhattan and finished out a few blocks away at the nearby Carpenter & Plass.

Tom

There are many great books here is my go too.

index.jpeg

This book lists over 270 types of artillery used during the Civil War. Not all were Union, but I am sorry that I don't care to look up all 270 types to see if they were Union or Confederate.

art 2.jpg

What would be the common name of artillery that fired a 3.3" projectile? Perhaps @John Winn knows? I probably missed it above. If so, I apologize.

Back