Who was the better General: Braxton Bragg versus Joseph E. Johnston?

Kentucky Derby Cavalier.

First Sergeant
As it stands, with all the samples available to judge their prowess of leading an army, who was the better General? I think their resume's are comparable, what are your thoughts?

Discuss.

Wheeler's poor performances in 1863 get overlooked due to the army maneuvers. If you read Dave Powell's books on the AoT actions in 1863 you will see just how poorly Wheeler performed. He did not want ot follow any orders, he wanted to do whatever he wanted to. I get the sensation that he wanted to upstage Forrest and Stuart.
I’ve read Powell. Walked around with him a good bit. They called Wheeler War Child For a reason.

Vote Here:
I’ve read Powell. Walked around with him a good bit. They called Wheeler War Child For a reason.
I'm not exactly what the connotation, 'War Child' means. Wheeler appears to have worked mainly upon his own objectives. He was not coordinating his own efforts with Forrest or Roddy, but responding to situations in his own front. His raid against the supply lines in late 1863 I thought were effective. Remnants of his command can be found up through Feb. 1865 in East Tennessee. So which Major General got the most out of him, performance wise; Johnston, Bragg, or Hood?
Lubliner.

Vote Here:
What Hood did was try to do what his Commander In Chief wanted, Actively defend Atlanta. That he failed was not as important to Davis as his trying. Something Hood and his Superiors could get no indication from Johnston, that he would actively defend any part of the Confederacy .... or ever would.
Well then let's try this. BOTH Johnston and Hood should have simply but firmly said, "Mr. President shut your @#$@#$#$%#$% mouth. I will not destroy my army to satisfy your delusional fantasies. If you desire, relieve me and come assume command. If not shut up."

Vote Here:
Well then let's try this. BOTH Johnston and Hood should have simply but firmly said, "Mr. President shut your @#$@#$#$%#$% mouth. I will not destroy my army to satisfy your delusional fantasies. If you desire, relieve me and come assume command. If not shut up."

That is an interesting view of the situation. I certainly would love to have been a fly on the wall of Davis room when he received those messages.

Vote Here:
Back