Company I 67th Regiment New York

lassdm442

Cadet
My great, great, great grandfather is listed in the 1890 Veterans Schedules in St. Louis, Mo as being in this regiment and company. I do not find his name on the roster.

John Ritter, Private, mustered in 1861 and mustered out in 1864. Company I 67th Regiment New York

If you have access to Ancestry.com you should be able to view the page.
[/URL]

BUT, He was also a member of Hassendeubel Post, No. 13, G.A.R., Department of Missouri and is listed as being in:
E, 1st L.I. Inf.
E, 2nd N.Y. Inf.

Source: Roster of the Department of Missouri, Grand Army of the Republic, and Its Auxiliaries, 1895 (Kansas City, Mo.: Western Veteran, 1895)

Any help appreciated to find him listed on an actual roster. Thanks!

I found a John Ritter in the 2nd New York Heavy Artillery who enlisted in 1864. I also found John Ritters in the 29th, 42nd, 45th, 59th, 82nd, 136th, and 158th New York Infantries.

Ryan

I'm thinking with that 1861 enlistment and 1864 discharge years, you might be able to do process of elimination on a lot of the folks who've been found. :smile:

Might help to give us Birth / Death dates as well as a Spouse, place of residence etc.

I second this suggestion. Sometimes you can narrow down the right soldier on the pension index cards by having this information. If you can tell us that information, maybe we can help you find the right soldier and regiment.

Actually, is this him? Looks like the same name in the same regiment. This card means that not only was he in that regiment, but he was also in Co A of the 7th NY Heavy Artillery. This card also means that he has a complete pension file at the National Archives!
Ritter, John pension card.jpg

My great, great, great grandfather is listed in the 1890 Veterans Schedules in St. Louis, Mo as being in this regiment and company. I do not find his name on the roster.

John Ritter, Private, mustered in 1861 and mustered out in 1864. Company I 67th Regiment New York

If you have access to Ancestry.com you should be able to view the page.
[/URL]

BUT, He was also a member of Hassendeubel Post, No. 13, G.A.R., Department of Missouri and is listed as being in:
E, 1st L.I. Inf.
E, 2nd N.Y. Inf.

Source: Roster of the Department of Missouri, Grand Army of the Republic, and Its Auxiliaries, 1895 (Kansas City, Mo.: Western Veteran, 1895)

Any help appreciated to find him listed on an actual roster. Thanks!

Found a John Reeder in Company I of the 67th. Discharged for disability 7/1/1862.

(New York: Report of the Adjutant-General 1893-1906)

Actually, is this him? Looks like the same name in the same regiment. This card means that not only was he in that regiment, but he was also in Co A of the 7th NY Heavy Artillery.

Follow me on this -
7th Battalion Of Artillery (Heavy)
Civil War
Fourth Battalion, Black River Artillery
This battalion, four companies, A, B, C and D, was organized at Sackett's Harbor; received its numerical designation September 16, 1862; was ordered in the field September 17, 1862; Companies A, B and C served near Washington, D. C, and Company D at Fort Schuyler, New York harbor; the battalion was discontinued December 31, 1862, its companies being transferred to the 10th Artillery as Companies H, I, K and L, respectively.

Yet, when you make the jump to the 10th NY HA's Muster Roll, there's no Ritter/Reeder on Co A's pages (see p.252).

What we know -
John Ritter/Reeder was confirmed for pension purposes as serving in Co I 67th NY Inf (and from the Regimental records, that's May 1st 1861 to July 21st 1862, when he was discharged for disability).

He's also confirmed for pension purposes as having served in Co A 7th NY HA (which existed from September 16th 1862 to December 31st 1862). Co A 7th NY HA was stationed at Washington DC, close enough to Harrison's Landing VA (where Ritter/Reeder was discharged for disability). So, playing detective he can be placed in the vicinity and within a logical timeline to have gone from the 67th NY I to the 7th NY HA.

I suspect Ritter/Reeder signed up with Co A 7th NY HA without telling them he was on disability. I'll bet a cold beer it turns out he served in the 7th NY HA under a slightly different name. Anyone know what the enlistment bonus was in September 1862?

Get his pension record pulled. There's probably a written explanation in there that'd make good reading ["Well, Sir, you see what happened was..."] since actual documented service trumped wartime fibbing & associated shenanigans when it came to getting pension benefits.

PS: Since the roster & muster rolls of the 7th NY HA aren't published by New York's DMNA, Ritter/Reeder might have simply served under his own name until December 31st 1862 and then been told "you're a broken toy, go home".

Either way, check the 1865 New York State Census to see if he shows up in some small Long Island town.

Last edited:
Wow! I must have my notifications off for my account, because I just happened to log in today and see that many people responded! I assumed that no one had yet because I hadn't received any email notifications... I will look into all of the info and add more after work. Thank you all so much!

With a common name like John Ritter it has been hard to figure out who is actually my ancestor.
This is what I KNOW to be true-

BIRTH APR 1831 • Baden, Germany
DEATH St. Louis, Missouri sometime after 1900. Died Before 1910
Lived in St. Louis, Mo from 1870's to 1900.
Always listed as a blacksmith in the census records.

Was married to Elizabeth (possible maiden name-BUHRMANN) Married about 1855, possibly in New York, Maryland or New Jersey. I have never found their marriage record-again with the name John Ritter...

In a birth record that I found in Carlsbad, N.J. that I think MAY (most likely) to be my gg grandfather's (Louis Ritter), John Ritter is listed as Jacob Johann Ritter. This was in 1863. BUT...if he was enlisted in the military, would he have been around at all to have fathered my gg grandfather (Louis Ritter) during that time? Louis was born in October 1863 in New Jersey.

Thank you again for any help!

Follow me on this -
7th Battalion Of Artillery (Heavy)
Civil War
Fourth Battalion, Black River Artillery
This battalion, four companies, A, B, C and D, was organized at Sackett's Harbor; received its numerical designation September 16, 1862; was ordered in the field September 17, 1862; Companies A, B and C served near Washington, D. C, and Company D at Fort Schuyler, New York harbor; the battalion was discontinued December 31, 1862, its companies being transferred to the 10th Artillery as Companies H, I, K and L, respectively.

Yet, when you make the jump to the 10th NY HA's Muster Roll, there's no Ritter/Reeder on Co A's pages (see p.252).

What we know -
John Ritter/Reeder was confirmed for pension purposes as serving in Co I 67th NY Inf (and from the Regimental records, that's May 1st 1861 to July 21st 1862, when he was discharged for disability).

He's also confirmed for pension purposes as having served in Co A 7th NY HA (which existed from September 16th 1862 to December 31st 1862). Co A 7th NY HA was stationed at Washington DC, close enough to Harrison's Landing VA (where Ritter/Reeder was discharged for disability). So, playing detective he can be placed in the vicinity and within a logical timeline to have gone from the 67th NY I to the 7th NY HA.

I suspect Ritter/Reeder signed up with Co A 7th NY HA without telling them he was on disability. I'll bet a cold beer it turns out he served in the 7th NY HA under a slightly different name. Anyone know what the enlistment bonus was in September 1862?

Get his pension record pulled. There's probably a written explanation in there that'd make good reading ["Well, Sir, you see what happened was..."] since actual documented service trumped wartime fibbing & associated shenanigans when it came to getting pension benefits.

PS: Since the roster & muster rolls of the 7th NY HA aren't published by New York's DMNA, Ritter/Reeder might have simply served under his own name until December 31st 1862 and then been told "you're a broken toy, go home".

Either way, check the 1865 New York State Census to see if he shows up in some small Long Island town.
I will definitely take this info and look more into it. You sure have a lot there. Thanks so much!

*How* do you know this to be true?
Thanks for your question-
Well, I have been researching the Ritter family for almost 20 years. My research using census records and directory information all points to the information that I stated above. I try to be careful of facts when researching and with a name like this, it's difficult to pinpoint the RIGHT John Ritter. The Ritter family lived at the same addresses for many years, so I have used this info to base what is the truth as to WHICH John Ritter I find as MINE.

John Ritter is living with his son in 1905 at the same address together. All census records report that he was born in 1830, 31 or 32. I know his wife was Elizabeth from census records and her death record shows the address of which he lived.

So, drawing from all of that I know to be true-
Born in Germany April 1831 (Per 1900 census) give or take a year
Died sometime after 1905 (he is not in the 1910 census, so assumption is that he is most likely deceased) Have yet to find a death cert, obit, burial in a cemetery with other family members or death record in St. Louis that matches his info and/or family.
Lived in St. Louis from 1870's to 1905 using census records and directory information
Always listed as a blacksmith

Back