Company G 35th Missouri Infantry Ancestor

JPChurch

First Sergeant
I'm trying to nail down this CDV of one of my ancestors that has the caption "Lt. D Lamb." This image is of the original CDV that I have here that's part of my grandmother's collection of old family photos. She lived in the little town of Marietta Ohio. My research has indicated that "David Lamb," born in Ohio in 1836, was the son of "Alvin Lamb," a colonel in the Mass. militia during the War of 1812. Alvin died in Noble County Ohio in 1846, so I'm pretty sure these two are father and son.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find a complete roster of Company G 35th MO. I do know that the 35th MO was at Vicksburg during the siege/surrender. David Lamb died of disease in Memphis in 1863, I'm assuming from getting sick in some fashion, his body was returned to Missouri and interred. The 35th Missouri Company G hailed from Gentry County.

Any help with my endeavor to identify my CDV of "Lt. D Lamb" and his association with Company G 35th MO would be greatly appreciated!! I found another "David A. Lamb" that was with the 73rd Ohio, but I don't think it's the same person because the birth and death dates don't match.
img20170106_22135951 (2).jpg
88912107_1476053252.jpg

I'm trying to nail down this CDV of one of my ancestors that has the caption "Lt. D Lamb." This image is of the original CDV that I have here that's part of my grandmother's collection of old family photos. She lived in the little town of Marietta Ohio. My research has indicated that "David Lamb," born in Ohio in 1836, was the son of "Alvin Lamb," a colonel in the Mass. militia during the War of 1812. Alvin died in Noble County Ohio in 1846, so I'm pretty sure these two are father and son.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find a complete roster of Company G 35th MO. I do know that the 35th MO was at Vicksburg during the siege/surrender. David Lamb died of disease in Memphis in 1863, I'm assuming from getting sick in some fashion, his body was returned to Missouri and interred. The 35th Missouri Company G hailed from Gentry County.

Any help with my endeavor to identify my CDV of "Lt. D Lamb" and his association with Company G 35th MO would be greatly appreciated!! I found another "David A. Lamb" that was with the 73rd Ohio, but I don't think it's the same person because the birth and death dates don't match. View attachment 156343 View attachment 156344

Lieutenant David Lamb is indeed on the roster of Company G Union 35th MO. He enlisted on 9/1/1862 at Benton Barracks, MO as a 1st Lieutenant. Died of disease in Memphis 10/3/1863. This brief history has them in Arkansas in July, 1863.

Thirty-fifth Infantry
MISSOURI
(3-YEARS)
Thirty-fifth Infantry. -- Col., Samuel A. Foster, Lieut.-
Cols., Thomas F.. Kimball, James A. Greason, Horace Fitch;
Maj., Thomas H. Penny.

The regiment was organized on Dec. 3, 1862, and on Jan. 10,
following the muster in, arrived at Helena, Ark., where it
remained for the greater part of that year. In the battle of
Helena on July 4, 1863, it lost heavily.

At Trenton, Ark., July 25, a detachment of the regiment was
surrounded by some of Shelby's men, but Col. Brooks, who was
in command, cut his way out three times before finally
succeeding in getting out of his perilous position. In the
last attempt Brooks was killed.

In the latter part of the year the regiment was engaged in
scouting the country about Helena and on the Mississippi side
of the river, capturing a number of prisoners horses, etc. It
continued in this line of duty until April 3, 1865, when it
embarked for Little Rock, where it was engaged in picket and
camp duty until June 28, when it was mustered out.

The men arrived at Benton barracks, St. Louis, July 12,
received their final pay and returned to their homes.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 4, p. 268

1850 Waterford, Washington, Ohio
Lucy Lamb............F......53......Massachusetts
Jane Emerson......F.......21......Massachusetts
Mary S Lamb........F.......19......Massachusetts
Suzan B Lamb.......F.......16......Connecticut
David Lamb..........M......14......Ohio
Nathan Lamb.......M.......11......Ohio

1860 Lotts Creek Township, Ringgold, Iowa
David Lamb.............M......23......Ohio
Nathan Lamb...........M......21.....Ohio
William L Stephns.....M......23.....Ohio

Amazing!!! Thanks so much for the feedback 57th Indiana and East TN Roots!!! Everything seems to fit in with CDV I have of "Lt. D Lamb." Now I need to figure out where the CDV may have been taken and by what studio. Sadly, the original CDV was glued onto a paper page and the reverse side is not readable.

The 1850 census listing of Washington County above shows a "Mary S. Lamb." That would be Mary Stone Lamb, brother of David Lamb. My grandmother was Mary Stone Newton. So my grandmother's grandmother was Mary S. Lamb. Neat stuff.

There are still some members of the Lamb family in the area. One of my cousins is a Lamb from the King City area. Oddly, Gentry County, like Grundy County in northwestern Missouri was the destination of a good number of migrants from northern States. Believe their are actual GAR monuments in both Counties. Gentry County was named for one of my ancestor's, who was a Kentuckian.

Back