Member Review Columbiad A Quarterly Review of the War Between the States.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today I stopped by an antique store and they had a fair number of copies of Columbiad A Quarterly Review of the War Between the States. This is not a magazine I am overly familiar with. The issues I was interested in were from the 1997s and 1998s. I was wondering what other forum members think about this magazine.

The quarterly magazine seems to cover a verity of Civil War topics. I think I will start with Custer vs. Stuart: The Clash at Gettysburg by Thom Hatch in the summer 1998 issue to see what I think.

The article by Thom Hatch was fairly good. I am not sure I learned too much. An author can only cover so much in a 15 page quarterly magazine article. Many Civil War magazines are so colorful that this more scholarly looking Quarterly magazine format is interesting.

Perhaps I should inform forum members about this Quarterly. It was aimed at readers who wanted articles written by more academic authors than your common Civil War magazine. All articles are footnoted and overall this Quarterly has a scholarly look to it. It only published 13 magazines before it folded. It appears the publishers tried to reach people with deeper Civil War interests than people buying the more popular Civil War magazines. It seems the public was not receptive.

Back