Handguns Colt Model 1860 Army

Wamp

Cadet
This had been on display/for sale at a local antique dealer for a year or so. I recently pulled the trigger (pun intended) and acquired this numbers matching Colt Model 1860. I think it’s in excellent condition with a smooth and tight action. While researching Colt Model 1860 information I came upon a thread on this site, and wouldn’t you know that this Colt is only 300 or so units older than the one previously discussed. The Colt archive letter will more likely than not be verbatim as they were within the 1000 units (by serial number, anyway) sent to the Arsenal in Washington DC.

The Colt will be gifted away in a few years, but for now it’ll be cherished and well cared for.

1C0AEDC9-5393-46CF-8A87-45FA1B4DC59E.jpeg

Very nice Colt. Below is the serial # range of yours. Are there cartouchs on the grips. I would not spend the money on the Colt letter as all they can tell you is where it was shipped if even that.
4726160A 64CO I 1ST MD VOL CAV
4741460A 62CO I 1ST MAINE VOL CAV
4753560A 05 62CO B 1ST NJ VOL CAV

Very nice Colt. Below is the serial # range of yours. Are there cartouchs on the grips. I would not spend the money on the Colt letter as all they can tell you is where it was shipped if even that.
4726160A 64CO I 1ST MD VOL CAV
4741460A 62CO I 1ST MAINE VOL CAV
4753560A 05 62CO B 1ST NJ VOL CAV

Wow! Thanks!
Yes, there are cartouche markings on both sides of the grip. PB is easily read on the left, still having trouble identifying the right.
I’ll be buying the latest book regarding the Colt, although I can’t remember the author offhand.
Can I ask, is the 60A at the end of the serial number indicative of something particular? EDIT; Der... 1860 Army

The 60A is for the model 1860 Army as the Navy is listed as the 61N.

Wow! Thanks!
Yes, there are cartouche markings on both sides of the grip. PB is easily read on the left, still having trouble identifying the right.
I’ll be buying the latest book regarding the Colt, although I can’t remember the author offhand.
Can I ask, is the 60A at the end of the serial number indicative of something particular? EDIT; Der... 1860 Army

Check to see if the other cartouche is JT. It's the most common found in conjunction with the PB cartouche. You will find the JT cartouche with both a left lean and a right lean.

20190916_230018.jpg
20190916_225524.jpg

The basic reason for the flat hammer screw head was so that a shoulder stock yoke would fit easily upon that part of the frame. Even the 3-screw civilian models not cut for a shoulder stock had them. Sam Colt was a scrupulous miser!

Jim

There's nothing unusual about the hammer screw, it's original. Flat (not a rounded crown) and slightly recessed into the frame is correct for the M1860).

Look at all four of your own - even while slightly recessed, the blueing on all of them is not as bright as the OP's.

Back