Colt model 1849 pocket pistol

T Boyer

Cadet
I have a Colt model 1849 pocket pistol owned by Col. Frederick Morisey of the 10th Mo. Malitia. It is in great condition with original holster and powder flask. I am curious about its value. Any ideas?

I have a Colt model 1849 pocket pistol owned by Col. Frederick Morisey of the 10th Mo. Malitia. It is in great condition with original holster and powder flask. I am curious about its value. Any ideas?

Despite your assurances, photographs would be necessary to give much of an idea as to value. Although firearms have taken a tumble lately along with most other collectibles, sound examples of items like Colts haven't been affected as much.

How about some photos. The Colt pocket was the most numerous of their percussion line. It could run from three to four figures. As far as I recollect, none were military issued. They were private purchase arms. However, it was the most common of back up weapons. Easy to carry and conceal. The value of any antique arm is dependent on rarity and condition. Any extra feature such as engraving and ivory grips escalate the value. If you have some digital photos, hit the "upload a file."
There is a good book out on the Colt 1849 Pocket by Jordan. Get us some photos and we can go from there. We can tell from the photos tghe approximate value of pistol, flask and holster. It is good to have you with us.

I, too, would love to see photos of your revolver. I'm no expert on them, but I do like to study the features in photos and compare them against the opinions of the experts who chime in. I think this is a good way to learn basic information about some of these items.

Despite your assurances, photographs would be necessary to give much of an idea as to value. Although firearms have taken a tumble lately along with most other collectibles, sound examples of items like Colts haven't been affected as much.
I can't upload photos with my so called smart phone. I would be glad to email photos to anyone who can help.

Here are the photos: I can't tell too much about the pistol. It looks in above average condition . The holster is real nice. It looks to have been with the pistol for a long time. The flask has seen hard use. I can't really put a value upon these items.
I would have to handle them in person. But you have a nice period collection.

Attachments

• WP_000477.jpg
    WP_000477.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 218
  • WP_000476.jpg
    WP_000476.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 225
  • WP_000305.jpg
    WP_000305.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 264
Looks nice. It is likely well beyond what I can get away with buying.

Nevermind my opinion. We have members who will know what you ought to ask for it. The neat thing about this board is that there are experts in almost every aspect of any question one can ask.

It might take a week or so, but someone will help you place a value on it.

Meanwhile, how did you come by it?

And thanks, Hank, for forwarding the pictures and advancing the thread. Meanwhile, I have to back off as I'm drooling too much to continue.

My
Looks nice. It is likely well beyond what I can get away with buying.

Nevermind my opinion. We have members who will know what you ought to ask for it. The neat thing about this board is that there are experts in almost every aspect of any question one can ask.

It might take a week or so, but someone will help you place a value on it.

Meanwhile, how did you come by it?
My friend inherited a large collection when his mother was I'll and the power of attorney kicked in. He had no idea what he had stumbled on. But I was lucky enough to dive in and bought a Spencer repeater from Wilders brigade and a European rifle the had "35 Tenn" scratched into the stock. I have too many stories about what I say in the collection including a Henry rifle and a rare Springfield musket with original ram rod.

Sounds fascinating. Apparently the Mom just didn't leave them lay in a box in the garage. I would love to have that Colt. Unfortunately, I am constrained to carefully look at what I can spend, and that is worth far more than my limit.A hundred here and a hundred there I can manage. Bur a $2000 dump would wake up Dear One and I'd get stomped. Severiously.

But thanks for the post which left several of us to back away from the keyboard due to excessive drooling.

Really stupid nephew-in-law inherited about eight CW era long guns. They were stored carelessly and amounted to only wall hangers. One was a tiger-maple stocked Kentucky rifle. There were a couple of Sharps and a Spencer.

He sold the lot of them for $800.

He is the only person I've ever wanted to kill. (I'd have given him $12oo.)

I saw a Henry repeater and lots of Civil War rifles and muskets but could only fork out 1200 for the Spencer, pistol, and two muskets. My friend made a grave error in undervaluing his find. He sold the lot for around $25,000.

Here are the new photos from T Boyer:
Most of these could stand a good cleaning. Some real nice pieces ! And quite a variety to say the least.

Attachments

• V__853C.jpg
    V__853C.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 193
  • V__AE18.jpg
    V__AE18.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 152
  • V__6141.jpg
    V__6141.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 152
  • V__ECE0.jpg
    V__ECE0.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 199
  • V__6AD9.jpg
    V__6AD9.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 181
I saw a Henry repeater and lots of Civil War rifles and muskets but could only fork out 1200 for the Spencer, pistol, and two muskets. My friend made a grave error in undervaluing his find. He sold the lot for around $25,000.
If it were me, I would have gone to the bank and borrowed enough to buy them all!

Back