Colt Army with Shoulder stock. Some advice please.

Waterloo50

Major
Hi all,
I’m still trying to learn about the various revolvers used during the CW and the 1860 colt army with shoulder stock has peaked my interest, Ive searched on the CWT forum for pictures and info but I’d like a little more information. Can anyone recommend a good book on Colt revolvers, I’m looking for something with photos or diagrams along with a good explanation on working parts.
I keep seeing the words fluted cylinder revolvers and to be honest I’m not sure what that means so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

The model 1860 Army Colt original had a fluted cylinder to try and make it lighter. Only the first 5000 were made with fluted cylinders.
1557783713734.png

Non Fluted
1557783768455.png

with stock
1557783851943.png

Great Book on the 1860 Army I have in my library.
1557783936478.png

On some Colt revolver models there were long indents -- "flutes" -- around the exterior of the cylinder, interspersing the bullet chambers within the cylinder (there were smaller indents at the back of the cylinder for the nipples). Flutes have a pleasing appearance as far as industrial design goes. Colt's 5-shot police model had them. Sweet.

1557784321905.png

Charles Pates book supposed to be the definitive book on the 1860 Army, although I don't have a copy. I had emailed Charles Pate about 2 years ago after buying an original Army in the 40,xxx serial range. I had read an article of his, and it invited people to e-mail him the serial# and identifying marks of 1860s.. He replied back that he already had seen my gun, in Richmond, back in 2008. Somehow between 2008 and 2017, the gun had made its way up into Canada.

I recall that he said he had literally inspected hundreds and hundreds of 1860 Army's, from which he compiled the information for his book. I am hoping to pick up a copy some day.

I concur with the others about Pate's book. Excellent! He also has much information about Colt's development of various shoulder stocks. The design Colt decided to patent and produce for the 1860 Army is known as the Type 3 stock. EMF has a replica for $275. Just be aware that the stock yoke is not particularly friendly to the portion of the revolver grip near the frame. Also, the primary reason Colt used a steel backstrap on the 1860 Army is that the brass 1851 Navy backstrap did not hold up well at the bottom attachment point.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1860-ARMY-SHOULDER-STOCK-229p1198.htm

1860-ARMY-SHOULDER-STOCK-EMF.jpg

1860-Navy-Arms-Pietta-Shoulder-Stock.jpg

I don't have the money for an original 1860 Army so I have gone to Plan B and I collect Italian replicas. I have an Armi San Marco 1860 Army 4-screw frame cut for shoulder stock (manufactured in 1993) with both the regular round engraved cylinder and the full-fluted cylinder. The latter is an Uberti that has the same dimensions as the ASM cylinder, and I have less than $300 invested in this revolver. I am not a re-enactor but I shoot this one quite a bit.

ASM-1860-Army-Fluted-Cylinder-007.jpg

To me, I have no idea why a re-enactor would shoot an original 150+ year-old Colt that should be treated as a treasure. Do their uniforms look 150 years old? :smile:

Regards,

Jim

Back