Handguns Colt 1851 Navy

Here are some of the cased. engraved, Colt Navies in my collection of Colts when it didn't cost a fortune to buy and sell antique guns. After Colt Navies, I got into Colt SAA....too many forgeries...got out mostly but still like to see the old beauties.

DSCF0196.JPG

DSCF0127.JPG

DSCF0099.JPG

DSCF0164.JPG

DSCF0088.JPG

Does anyone have the phone number? I can't imagine they will talk to me free of charge, but I'm willing to try. Sending in a written request for info costs $250. OUCH!!
Yeah I remember when it was about $25-50 then shot up to $300 overnight. No gradual increase. Didn't order anymore. Not worth it if your Colt is worth $1000 but for those that have a $25,000 + Colt have at it.

Yeah I remember when it was about $25-50 then shot up to $300 overnight. No gradual increase. Didn't order anymore. Not worth it if your Colt is worth $1000 but for those that have a $25,000 + Colt have at it.

There is more reason to consider spending the money to letter a Colt single action than a Colt percussion revolver.
Colt SAAs often have switched barrels, changed calibers, different grips. So your 1888 Colt single action in .45 and with 4-3/4 inch barrel might have left the factory as a .32-20 caliber SAA with 7-12 barrel. A Colt Navy will be in .36 caliber and with 7-1/2 barrel only, and so you won't need a factory letter to confirm that.

There is more reason to consider spending the money to letter a Colt single action than a Colt percussion revolver.
Colt SAAs often have switched barrels, changed calibers, different grips. So your 1888 Colt single action in .45 and with 4-3/4 inch barrel might have left the factory as a .32-20 caliber SAA with 7-12 barrel. A Colt Navy will be in .36 caliber and with 7-1/2 barrel only, and so you won't need a factory letter to confirm that.
The only interesting part of the document was where they shipped it to during the War and the date. It was nice to have to add value to the gun. Other than that it any worth the cost anymore unless you got money to burn.

One thing to understand about Clint Eastwood movies, all of his open top Colts were cartridge conversion. Even on Josey wales, you can see metal cartridge if you look close. Clint said in an interview that he had a bad accident on the set with a pistol loaded with loose powder. He said he made it a policy that all pistols must be cartridge conversion for safety reasons. The average viewer would never notice.

Back