Coloumbus-Belmont

PartywithArty

Sergeant Major
My artillery company will be partaking in the battle of Columbus-Belmont,Kentucky this weekend. This will mark the end of our 2012 season. Its been a great season. Ive made friends ill not soon forget and seen some of the most beautiful of places. Learned a great deal and made memories that will last a life time. It is a sad moment when a unit assembles for the last time for the year. A band of brothers who fight and survive the weather side by side shakes hands for the last time and says "untill next year my dear ol' pard" its a sad moment indeed when the tents get cleaned up and stowed away,the weapons get cleaned and put away,uniforms get put in the closet,boots get cleaned and slid under the bed. Its sad but abit exciting for the fact that in a few short months were gonna be back out there like a band of brothers.Together in the fight. So as I may shead a tear this weekend as I stoll that park,and as our cannon sings to the hills,but I wont be able to hold back the smiles when I think of all the children that grinned ear to ear when they saw me in my uniform,the men who yelled " git em Jonney Reb" and the women who clapped and waved as we took the battle field,Yes I will surley laugh when I think of all the smiling happy people who came to shake my hand at this years past reenactments to tell me that they enjoyed it and that they would never forget it. That is what this whole thing is about,its about fueling the fire inside the spectaters to make their love for history greater. To gie them a better understanding of what the civil war was about. To carry on the memory of the yanks and the rebs who fought so fiercley in the war betwean the states. So this is to you my brothers in arms,my fellow civil war reenactors,a proud buch we are,and i am proud to say I am a reenactor and a host of a forum that includes some of the best reenactors out there! GOD BLESS YOU FELLOW REENACTORS AND MUCH LOVE FROM THIS OL REBEL IN TENNESSEE!

My artillery company will be partaking in the battle of Columbus-Belmont,Kentucky this weekend. This will mark the end of our 2012 season. Its been a great season. Ive made friends ill not soon forget and seen some of the most beautiful of places. Learned a great deal and made memories that will last a life time. It is a sad moment when a unit assembles for the last time for the year. A band of brothers who fight and survive the weather side by side shakes hands for the last time and says "untill next year my dear ol' pard" its a sad moment indeed when the tents get cleaned up and stowed away,the weapons get cleaned and put away,uniforms get put in the closet,boots get cleaned and slid under the bed. Its sad but abit exciting for the fact that in a few short months were gonna be back out there like a band of brothers.Together in the fight. So as I may shead a tear this weekend as I stoll that park,and as our cannon sings to the hills,but I wont be able to hold back the smiles when I think of all the children that grinned ear to ear when they saw me in my uniform,the men who yelled " git em Jonney Reb" and the women who clapped and waved as we took the battle field,Yes I will surley laugh when I think of all the smiling happy people who came to shake my hand at this years past reenactments to tell me that they enjoyed it and that they would never forget it. That is what this whole thing is about,its about fueling the fire inside the spectaters to make their love for history greater. To gie them a better understanding of what the civil war was about. To carry on the memory of the yanks and the rebs who fought so fiercley in the war betwean the states. So this is to you my brothers in arms,my fellow civil war reenactors,a proud buch we are,and i am proud to say I am a reenactor and a host of a forum that includes some of the best reenactors out there! GOD BLESS YOU FELLOW REENACTORS AND MUCH LOVE FROM THIS OL REBEL IN TENNESSEE!
I hope to make it to one of your reeanctments next season J P. Don't forget you said I might get to shoot the gun.:D

Never been to Columbus Ky. It is on my to do list. Have a great time. My season is over. Perryville was the last event for me. Nice way to end the year with a very good event like Perryville on the original Battlefield. Now to strip down my weapons, clean them lock, stock, and barrel. Sending one out to get some repair work done, and having another sent to me for next season. Cleaning and storing blankets. Cleaning and brushing uniforms. Washing socks, drawers, and shirts. Mending tears. Making authentic shotgun, buck and ball, ball, and elongated ball rounds for next season. Cleaning, waxing and oiling leathers, and shoes. Spending the winter reading, and taking care of my wife, and looking forward to doing all over again. Love to do a winter event, but I need to be home. This year I got to be a part of some good events. 150th BGA Shiloh, 150th Mills Spring, 150th Richmond Ky., 150th Perryville, Hale Farm, OH. and I got to make one day of the 150th Middle Creek (Friday). Plus a few small town events. (my only regret was Maryland my Maryland, which due to a family emergency I had to miss).

Never been to Columbus Ky. It is on my to do list. Have a great time. My season is over. Perryville was the last event for me. Nice way to end the year with a very good event like Perryville on the original Battlefield. Now to strip down my weapons, clean them lock, stock, and barrel. Sending one out to get some repair work done, and having another sent to me for next season. Cleaning and storing blankets. Cleaning and brushing uniforms. Washing socks, drawers, and shirts. Mending tears. Making authentic shotgun, buck and ball, ball, and elongated ball rounds for next season. Cleaning, waxing and oiling leathers, and shoes. Spending the winter reading, and taking care of my wife, and looking forward to doing all over again. Love to do a winter event, but I need to be home. This year I got to be a part of some good events. 150th BGA Shiloh, 150th Mills Spring, 150th Richmond Ky., 150th Perryville, Hale Farm, OH. and I got to make one day of the 150th Middle Creek (Friday). Plus a few small town events. (my only regret was Maryland my Maryland, which due to a family emergency I had to miss).
that is a wonderful way to end a season. We started off the season at Ft.Pillow,then to the battle of Johnsonville,Tennessee,then to Randolph,Tennessee and ended at Columbus,Ky. All the reenactmnts this year was on original battle fields. Nothing like standing on a real battle field in a uniform and carying a weapon.. Really makes you stop and think..

Very nice post, thanks for sharing. Since you will be over in Western Kentucky. try to get by the Jefferson Davis Monument in Fairview? My husband and I stopped there this year (August) , as had never been to Western Kentucky. Have wanted to see it for awhile. It was well worth the stop.

The western part of Kentucky is very beautiful Love the land between the lakes. Kentucky and Barkley Lakes are so pristine. Let's hope they stay that way.

Well the good news about the off season is all the stuff you can get done till next season! :D Case in point. Today I finished cleaning, oiling and general maintence of my new (old), M1816 Wickham drum conversion. A original weapon that is stronger and cleaner than many reproductions I have seen this year. Just finished burnishing the barrel, bands, and lock. Also found a 1816 bayonet and cleaned it up nice and shiny. Fits like a glove. Plan on saving up and picking up a original M1816 Flintlock that was recently offered to me. And having my 1860 London Twist long double barrel shotgun worked on and dolled up by Lodgewood. Finished cleaning also the Miruko 61 defarb Springfield (the only reproduction I own. :smile:

Now on to the blankets, clothing, leathers, ect. Plenty to keep me busy. :smile: New heels on the civilian shoes for sure is needed. Wore them out. Naval Uniform being made over the winter. Gentleman's suit in the works. Got a think for dark browns. Also April's Living History and semi immersion event is still being worked on for April if I can get enough folks to commit. Lots of things to keep me busy other than just the normal ones.... :bounce:

Well the good news about the off season is all the stuff you can get done till next season! :D Case in point. Today I finished cleaning, oiling and general maintence of my new (old), M1816 Wickham drum conversion. A original weapon that is stronger and cleaner than many reproductions I have seen this year. Just finished burnishing the barrel, bands, and lock. Also found a 1816 bayonet and cleaned it up nice and shiny. Fits like a glove. Plan on saving up and picking up a original M1816 Flintlock that was recently offered to me. And having my 1860 London Twist long double barrel shotgun worked on and dolled up by Lodgewood. Finished cleaning also the Miruko 61 defarb Springfield (the only reproduction I own. :smile:

Now on to the blankets, clothing, leathers, ect. Plenty to keep me busy. :smile: New heels on the civilian shoes for sure is needed. Wore them out. Naval Uniform being made over the winter. Gentleman's suit in the works. Got a think for dark browns. Also April's Living History and semi immersion event is still being worked on for April if I can get enough folks to commit. Lots of things to keep me busy other than just the normal ones.... :bounce:
sounds like your gonna have a buisey winter my pard. I only carry 3 weapons, double barrel coach gun for my volunteer infantry impression, 58 remington and a J.H.Dance bros. revolvers. All 3 weapons are cleaned,oiled and ready for next season. My D-Guard will be uner the knife to defarb it a bit. Its fairly authentic looking,but it does not have the wear a battle used d guard would have. Im getting new pistol holsters,cap pouch and belt made this winter,my boots need a good cleaning as well,got horribly muddy at the battle of the Loosahatchie. It was worse than Shiloh. lol other than all of that,ill be bored untill next season.

Back