Color of Confederate Cannons and Caissons

Leigh Cole

Private
First, I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am rather new here...anyways, I have recently gain interest in the Artillery branch and am painting up some 28MM cannons and crews. These will be Confederates in the Atlanta campaign.

I have learned the light OD and black for Union cannons. Two makes of barrels are brass, two iron and painted black. I chose 12lb Napoleons so I am going brass. I am aware the copper lid on the caisson was replaced later in the south by a tarred lid. Like a rubberized black, I assume?

But I have seen references stating captured US cannon were preferred for their workmanship. However, CSA made cannons had different colors, including some with red spoked wheels? Is this correct and am I tracking on my knowledge so far? I just develped this passion for the cannon cocker branch! I am trying to come up to speed. Thank you in advance for you help and knowledge.

Here is a perfect example of a CS Columbus made cannon, carriage, caisson and limber.
1618094178752.png

photo courtesy RIA

My Osprey books arrived today. American Civil War Artillery, Volumes one and two. Excellent starter source and very helpful painting guide...except all guns look like Union regulation. I really enjoy the heavy mortars and Naval guns in volume two. Those would be great models to build!

This is an interesting post. When I see Confederate cannon and such in museums I have often wondered if the museum had gotten the paint color for the carriage, caisson and limber correct. I guess some one at the museum decided which color to paint the reproduction carriage, caisson and limber, but museums do make mistakes.

This is an interesting post. When I see Confederate cannon and such in museums I have often wondered if the museum had gotten the paint color for the carriage, caisson and limber correct. I guess some one at the museum decided which color to paint the reproduction carriage, caisson and limber, but museums do make mistakes.
Exactly. Look what they do to tanks at museums. Horrifying...

Yes. Sometimes well-meaning but ill-informed painters do some strange work indeed. there is a WWI-era "dazzle camouflage" scheme that was applied to a gun at the Camp Mary Texas Military Forces Museum in Austin, Travis Co. for instance. The museum curator and staff are well aware that it is fantasy, but there it is.

One thing to remember: For a lot of people, there is a vivid image in their minds derived from films and television and whatnot. If reality is at odds with that image, they'd prefer the Hollywood version!

U.S. army artillery had adopted the OD paint as far back as the Mexican War.

Yes. Sometimes well-meaning but ill-informed painters do some strange work indeed. there is a WWI-era "dazzle camouflage" scheme that was applied to a gun at the Camp Mary Texas Military Forces Museum in Austin, Travis Co. for instance. The museum curator and staff are well aware that it is fantasy, but there it is.

One thing to remember: For a lot of people, there is a vivid image in their minds derived from films and television and whatnot. If reality is at odds with that image, they'd prefer the Hollywood version!

U.S. army artillery had adopted the OD paint as far back as the Mexican War.
I did not know that about the artillery until I bought these Perry figures and now have aquired this intent on learning all things arty. Amazon is happy with me. More books to go with my college studies! Glad I am a prime member...but yes, the topic of the tank painting at Aberdeen and now Ft. Lee is a non-ending source of consternation. In fact, they are rendered pretty much useless as a source for reference. But then again, what is Dunklegelb or Russian green? Marine Corps green vs OD? So I really give civil war paint some slack. We really cannot figure out 1940's era paints. Like dinosaurs! Were they blue? Who knows???

I did not know that about the artillery until I bought these Perry figures and now have aquired this intent on learning all things arty. Amazon is happy with me. More books to go with my college studies! Glad I am a prime member...but yes, the topic of the tank painting at Aberdeen and now Ft. Lee is a non-ending source of consternation. In fact, they are rendered pretty much useless as a source for reference. But then again, what is Dunklegelb or Russian green? Marine Corps green vs OD? So I really give civil war paint some slack. We really cannot figure out 1940's era paints. Like dinosaurs! Were they blue? Who knows???
If you want to really get confused look into the controversy about some Luftwaffe RLM colors . When I painted small scale Union artillery I used Vallejo WW2 German field gray . It gave it a scale effect green color . These were Perry figures , but I've got some 54mm stuff sitting around and I would probably modify the color slightly. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an exact color .

Several years ago, the Field Artillery Museum at Ft. Sill, OK, had a Confederate carriage. If I remember correctly, the curators at the time - while doing restoration work - found paint remnants under the iron work. I think it was a grey color, but I'm old and remember a lot of things that never happened. Anyway, it might be worth contacting Ft. Sill and ask them this question.

I raised this question in relation to the cannon that was on display INSIDE the Interpretive Center at Shiloh National Park. I'm not sure if the carriage is still painted this color. This photo was taken during 150th Anniversary.
To me it looks Yellow/Tan. The photo accurately represents the color as it is seen in the light.
Some have said that the Green paint was mixed in the field and so it could vary in shades. Someone had some explanation as to why the Confederate paint came out more Tan or Yellow.

Shiloh150 063-B.jpg

I raised this question in relation to the cannon that was on display INSIDE the Interpretive Center at Shiloh National Park. I'm not sure if the carriage is still painted this color. This photo was taken during 150th Anniversary.
Wow, that brings back memories. That carriage has since been repainted to better reflect the olive color used in the field. This carriage now holds a replica 6-pounder that is used for live-fire events on the park.

The attached photo is of the cannon and carriage on display at the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center, a unit of Shiloh NMP. This carriage was built for this barrel and has been on display since 2017. I took the photo a few minutes ago and it allows you to see the color in sunlight and shade. This is the same color that all carriages are painted at Shiloh: the two wooden carriages and the 200 + metal carriages in the field.

thumbnail_IMG_2495.jpg

Several years ago, the Field Artillery Museum at Ft. Sill, OK, had a Confederate carriage. If I remember correctly, the curators at the time - while doing restoration work - found paint remnants under the iron work. I think it was a grey color, but I'm old and remember a lot of things that never happened. Anyway, it might be worth contacting Ft. Sill and ask them this question.
Yes, as mentioned, when it comes to the Confederacy, who knows? I have read of wood (unpainted) to red...suffice to say, I believe most caisson box covers were not the Union copper but "tarred" wood, so I think black would be correct...semi-gloss?

Wow, that brings back memories. That carriage has since been repainted to better reflect the olive color used in the field. This carriage now holds a replica 6-pounder that is used for live-fire events on the park.
I was going to link you in on this as I recall you making a similar reply to my same photo that I posted years ago.

Are you saying the tube and the carriage were both moved from Shiloh Interpretive Center to the Corinth Interpretive Center?

I was going to link you in on this as I recall you making a similar reply to my same photo that I posted years ago.

Are you saying the tube and the carriage were both moved from Shiloh Interpretive Center to the Corinth Interpretive Center?
Yes it has as you saw it when we were there for the muster.
when it comes to the Confederacy
The photo I posted is an original cannon carriage and caisson and has NOT been touched.

so I think black would be correct...semi-gloss?
No flat black. I build full scale cannons and have the exact color of OD and the flat black. Back then there was no flat, semi etc.

No flat black. I build full scale cannons and have the exact color of OD and the flat black. Back then there was no flat, semi etc.
Interesting. Here was my train of thought. When I read tarred, I immediately thought of my tarred backpack. It looks semi-gloss, even after much has worn off under use. I would be interested in knowing if you can recommend the closest OD for modeling? I was thinking Russian Uniform from Vallejo. It looks quite similar. Of course, it will receive washes and weathering...I don't know if you model as well, but I thought I would take a chance. I thank you for your reply and flat black it shall be.

Back