Color Guard of the 30th Ohio Infantry

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
56835v.jpg

56836v.jpg

Ran across this image on LoC. Description:

Title: Five unidentified soldiers of the last Color Guard of the 30th Ohio Infantry Regiment in uniforms with rifles and tattered flags.

Creator(s): The Louisville Gallery of Photography, No. 85 Fourth Street, Louisville, Kentucky.

Date Created/Published: 1865

Medium: 1 photograph: albumen print on card mount; mount 11 x 7 cm (carte de visite format)​

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2018652242/

Written on the back is "Wm. J.J. Edwards, Zanesville, O." There was a Pvt. William J. Edwards who enlisted in Co. A of the 30th Ohio at age 18, May 9, 1864, and mustered out with company August 13, 1865, so Edwards could be one of the men in the photo.

As to Louisville, Ky., after participating in the Grand Review in Washington, D.C., the 30th Ohio did proceed to Louisville, arriving there on June 17, 1865, so it's possible the photo was taken then.

The soldiers seated at center and standing at left are wearing a "40 Rounds" XV Corps badge. Not sure what the other, round-shaped medals are though. Anyone have an idea?

220px-XVcorpsbadge.png

National and Regimental colors of the 30th Ohio. These could be the same flags as in the photo, although I'm not certain, as regiments usually went through more than one flag throughout the war.

30th Ohio Infantry 1.jpg

30th Ohio Infantry 2.jpg

Overview of the 30th Ohio's service:
Organized August 28th, 1861, under Colonel John Groesbeck, who was soon succeeded by Colonel Hugh Ewing, it served in West Virginia, in detachments, until August, 1862, when it was transferred to the Army of the Potomac and participated in the battles of Centerville, South Mountain and Antietam. In January, 1863, the Regiment joined Grant's Army near Vicksburg, and took part in the investment of that stronghold. After the surrender it pursued Johnston to Jackson; returning went into camp at Black River. The 30th moved with Sherman to Tennessee and assaulted Mission Ridge. In January, 1864, it re-enlisted, and after a furlough to Ohio, joined Sherman's Atlanta campaign, and participated the battles of Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Ezra Chapel, Jonesboro and Lovejoy's Station. It followed Sherman to the sea and took part in the successful assault on Fort McAllister, and after the fall of Savannah marched through the Carolinas on to Washington. It proceeded to Louisville in June, and to Arkansas in July, 1865, when it soon after returned to Ohio, and was mustered out August 22nd, 1865.
http://www.ohiocivilwar.com/cw30.html

Great Photo. Thanks for posting. Ive seen that medal before but it is not the one issued by the State of Ohio to soldiers who completed there term of enlistment and then signed up for duty with the Veteran's Volunteer Corp. These we issued in 1866. These might be campaign medals, I will check my books and see it it turns up. The one in the photo appears to have an Eagle on top.

post-60-1299549804.jpg

post-60-1299549824.jpg

Wow that is a powerful image...... I wouldn’t want to cross those boys..... photography of this era is simply amazing thanks for posting

Reactions: AUG
Very solemn faces. These men look as if they are related, perhaps cousins. Interesting, that they were in some of the battles with my gr-gr-grandfather of my book, on the opposing side of course.

Reactions: AUG
My grandpa's stepmother was Nelle Hawk and I believe her father was John Hawk who I found in the state of Ohio's roster of soldiers. We have his GAR ribbon with 'Company C 30th Ohio Infantry' and it looks like he was in for the entire war and mustered out a 1st Sergeant. It'd be fascinating if he were possibly one in the picture. Interestingly enough buried near our family farm is another Company C veteran, Joseph D. Baker. They had to have known each other and perhaps settled in our area after the war.

It'd be fascinating if he were possibly one in the picture.
This photograph was taken around the time the men mustered out. 1st Sergeants were not assigned to the color guard, so it's unlikely that he's in this picture. Each of the ten companies in a regiment had one 1st Sergeant as its senior enlisted man, while the color guard had two Color Sergeants to carry the colors and a number of corporals to support them. It's wonderful that you have his GAR ribbon.

Back