Colonel Land and the Deserter

Page 3 James Calvin Land & the deserter.jpg
I've posted several times in the past about my 4 x 1st cousin, Confederate Lieut Thomas Charles Land of the 1st & 53rd NC Regiments. This is about his brother, Lt.Colonel James Calvin Land of the 93rd ( Wilkes County ) regiment NC Militia. He was commissioned in March 1862. At the outbreak of the Civil War the NC Militia units were absorbed into the home & railroad guards. While his brother, Thomas served from the Seven Days to Five Forks and was twice severally wounded, James never left North Carolina, and I expect was hardly ever out of Wilkes County. A lot of his duties consisted of bringing in conscripts to the various Camps of Instruction ( Camp Vance, Camp Holmes, etc. ) I've one document showing he delivered " 21 slaves " to the Confederate base and hospital at Salisbury, NC. I assume for a construction project of some kind. This document tells of his delivery " of a deserter, " Private John McDaniel Loggins, Company F, 37th Virginia. Private Loggins deserted on December 10, 1862. James returns him on April 7, 1863. He's apparently given a second chance and returns to his regiment. He's captured May 12, 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House. Sent to Fort Delaware, he's exchanged, Feb.27, 1865. He's admitted to Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond with
chronic diarrhea. He died March 8, 1865. One more tragic story from a tragic conflict.

His record from the
- The Virginia Regimental Histories Series

John Mc Loggins

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 4/25/1861 at Glade Spring as a Private.

On 4/25/1861 he mustered into "F" Co. VA 37th Infantry
He Re-enlisted on 2/18/1862
He died of disease on 3/8/1865 at Howard's Grove Hospl, VA
(Died of acute diarrhoea)
He was listed as:
* Furlough 2/18/1862 (place not stated)
* Received pay 2/18/1862 Camp Mason, NC
* On rolls 10/15/1862 (place not stated)
* Deserted 12/10/1862 (place not stated)
* Received clothing 5/1/1864 (place not stated) (Estimated day)
* POW 5/12/1864 Spotsylvania Court House, VA
* Confined 5/14/1864 Belle Plain, VA
* Transferred 5/20/1864 Fort Delaware, DE
* Exchanged 2/27/1865 (place not stated)
* Hospitalized 3/4/1865 Chimborazo Hospl, Richmond, VA (With acute diarrhoea)
* Transferred 5/15/1865 City Point, VA (Estimated day)

Last edited:
Civil War conditions created a perfect environment for dysentery and diarrhea to thrive. Men lived crowded together; ate poor diets of fried meat, bread, and coffee; used the same pan to cook their meal that they used to wash up; and went to the latrine upstream from their camp. Bowel disorders were the most prevalent illnesses on both sides of the Civil War and they killed more men than battle. Dysentery and diarrhea, called "quickstep" by soldiers, and "alvine flux" by the doctors, with dysentery being distinguished by blood in the stool. Doctors knew neither how soldiers contracted the condition nor how the diseases should be treated.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/civilwar/dysentery.html

thank you for this information. It is a big help. I think I had an ancestor who belonged to a Home Guard unit near Ahoskie, N.C.

Back