Collection of Belt Plates

OldStuff1412

Cadet
Hi, I got these cartridge box and belt plates from a local Kansas estate. The family didn't know anything about them or how the person got them. Are any of them old? I usually collect the veterans badges and pins and have stayed away from the buckles and plates but figure I had better start learning about them. Thanks for any info you have.

IMG_4275.JPG

IMG_4276.JPG

What are the best indications that these are reproductions then? Is it mostly about the configuration of the backside elements?

What are the best indications that these are reproductions then? Is it mostly about the configuration of the backside elements?
The LA plates did not have lead filled backs and were rolled brass with brass loops soldered on the reverse. There are no known CSA oval cartridge box plates and only two belt plates (much different configurations). The star plate could signify TX or MS, but neither had a box plate, which leaves us the US Eagle plate. The plate could be real, but one would need to count dots and feathers......

Yep the CSA ovals jumped right out and are what I call fantasy pieces as there were none except in someones mind:D

Thanks so much for the info. Paid a couple hundred but went into it thinking good chance they were fake. I will clean them up and put them in a display. I will keep visiting this discussion and try to educate myself. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for the info. Paid a couple hundred but went into it thinking good chance they were fake. I will clean them up and put them in a display. I will keep visiting this discussion and try to educate myself. Thanks again.
Its like learning how to play Blackjack, you do it by reading the books not at the $100 table. Research Research Research.

Which dots and feathers do you count on the eagle plate? Gandycreek I did get the first book pictured and it is very good. Thanks again for everyone's info.

IMG_4279.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

I would not bother to count as in looking at the back of this one its a repop. The loops are off center and they should be deeper in the lead with nothing but the loops showing.
1563590925019.png

Back