Miniatures Collecting Painting Figures

cool, are these figures by Streelets ?! how much is it cost a box in the US, an average ?!

becuase here in Italy summer has exploded in the last 2 days and the temperatures has started to rise drammatically, i ask you to suggest me if it's appropiate painting also with a so hot season and if i have to follow any rule about how mantain the open jars/vials of the colours !?

I forget the brand of figures I bought. I still have some in the package but they are in storage.

Heat and humidity? Should not be a problem. I lived in the hot, humid "South" and it wasn't that much of a problem. My bottle will begin to collect the pigment in the bottom which leads to drying out. Some years ago, my buddy gave me a paint stirrer for hobby paints. Just add 1 drop of thinner and stir with this and you will restore the paint to original condition.

This stirrer is smaller than it looks in this photo. The handle holds 1 AA battery, as I recall, and the handle is about twice the size of the battery.

Paint Sitrrer.JPG

@ariete
Humidity does cause problems if you are using a sprayer. That can easily be resolved by installing a filter/dryer in the air hose. I don't use my paint sprayer that much.

ahahah they look great, have you already gave the name to that unit of Blue Jackets ?!
(the variant Death Korps of Krieg of the Imperial Guards has a great stylish uniform on which have fun :D)

In reality i recovered this couple of that kind or they've would been throw out because lasts still intacts of that set of dishes !

i'm newbi so i talk you without experience but what i readed, and so plastic is reviewed as the best material to paint rathern than steel or lead. What's would make the difference could be the brands of the colours you use, if you wash the items before and dry for the night, how much primer you put on before, anyway, i fear the issue you mentioned is due to too small scale of the items we have to do rather than the composition of them. I had a similar issue recently, mounting singular pieces already painted of a gatling gun by HAT, when i assembled some elements, part of the paint pops off in certain areas, and i already wash the pieces with quickshade which should be also protective ...

cool, are these figures by Streelets ?! how much is it cost a box in the US, an average ?!

becuase here in Italy summer has exploded in the last 2 days and the temperatures has started to rise drammatically, i ask you to suggest me if it's appropiate painting also with a so hot season and if i have to follow any rule about how mantain the open jars/vials of the colours !?
For now I have been calling them the 1st Terran Mechanized Infantry (I have enough transports for all but 1 squad, those poor guys use grav shutes). I have also been thinking of calling them the 1st Union Mechanized or 1st Merica Mechanized. (Merica is what North America is called in 40k).

@DixieRifles like i said before, me too i don't use any sprayer, i prefer be sure to have covered evenly the item with the brush and don't waste product unnecessarily.
also here around Milano, summer is hot and too sultry .. so, 'i can sing' the same !? :D

i 'washed' the items with -the army painter- quickshade mid brown, sorry but i didn't take photos, anyway now i've to make the highlights, using a more clear tone of colour.
do you have any suggestion about, or a particular youtube video to watch, to understand, for the most, where exactly put the colour and where not ..

do you have any suggestion about, or a particular youtube video to watch

Ariete,
I do not. I don't paint much now. And I don't build many models. I built a 1/6 Scale of a Civil War cannon. I described my project on a post on this forum. I built a diorama for it and used a new product---- paint media that is applied dry.

Link to post: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/williams-10-ounce-artillery-gun.13171/page-5

I'm not clear as to exactly what you are asking about the color application. Sometimes you want to start with one base color and then add lighter highlights and darker shadows. A trained artist told me to add some color when I am painting GRAY. Normally Gray is mixed using Black and White---but add a drop of Blue or even Yellow. Anything will improve the result.
I also bought me a Color Wheel that shows how to mix colors to obtain the right shade of Green or Olive Drab. Feel free to post a Question here or message me with the Conversation.

Steve

BTW- - - 75 Years Ago, Today, my Father's 85th Division entered ROMA. Part of the US 85th Infantry Division entered Rome on 4th of June. The photo below was taken on 5th June. It is an official US Army photograph that identified the men of the 85th Division and General Mark Clark in the jeep on the left.

Entering Rome.JPG

@DixieRifles like i said before, me too i don't use any sprayer, i prefer be sure to have covered evenly the item with the brush and don't waste product unnecessarily.
also here around Milano, summer is hot and too sultry .. so, 'i can sing' the same !? :D

i 'washed' the items with -the army painter- quickshade mid brown, sorry but i didn't take photos, anyway now i've to make the highlights, using a more clear tone of colour.
do you have any suggestion about, or a particular youtube video to watch, to understand, for the most, where exactly put the colour and where not ..

I use the "dry brush" technique to put on highlights.
Load a brush with a lighter shade of the underlying color, then wipe off most of the color onto a rag or paper towel, then lightly wipe the brush back and forth over the area you want to lighten. First test the brush on something to make sure you have taken enough paint off the brush before you use it on the figure
Oh! By the way, I paint my figures with acrylic paint. I like how fast it dries, how you use water to clean the brush, and no nasty smelling thinner to stink up the house.

A picture of a MO bushwhacker and a confederate flag bearer I painted a little over a year ago. These busts are about 90mm, as I like the larger size figures as they normally have more detail, plus I think they're easier to paint with these 66 year old eyes. One of these days I think I'll paint some flowers on the blue collar of the bushwhacker to show that his mother, sister, or girlfriend made the guerrilla shirt for him.
The picture is a little washed out so it doesn't show much of the shading or highlights, but I tend to be conservative in that area on larger figures.
IMG_20180227_143945.jpg

Last edited:
Great painting Dan , I especially like the Missouri guerrilla :thumbsup: :wink:

And there's a good reason why you should, Ken!

Ladies and Gentlemen, our fellow forum member, the very humble Mr. Rebel Brit was the gentleman who sculpted the Missouri Guerrilla. I didn't know that when I purchased and painted it, but after I showed a picture of it here, he PM'ed me and informed me the figure was his sculpture.

Not only is Mr. R. Brit a most excellent painter, but I think he's one of the best sculptors' of miniature figures I seen, and I've been painting these things since the late 70's. And I'm pleased to call him "friend."

oh! btw, he has a website which features his flat figures: http://www.milmartminiatures.com/

this is the final result of my very first time experience about this too relaxing hobby !
after wash the items with quickshade mid-brown and made the highlights, i cured again some details and i adjusted the colour of the skin which now is no more pink.

a4le39bavkh1ymozg.jpg

hcnbsamrpgnw4c7zg.jpg

pkkoo4y4a49bqu6zg.jpg

h3xm43o9xf6h5u0zg.jpg

qjdze87bj5hy193zg.jpg

oe91ph04rmxr4hazg.jpg

v91glo3zq5oxayozg.jpg

738n2420lhk8tq6zg.jpg

i'll post other works as soon as i'm going to complete them (a couple in few days)

i tried to paint also horses with HAT 8206 FRONTIER LIGHT HORSE
cool of this set, as reviewed, we can use them, over for the wars in South Africa like the anglo zulu war and the boer wars, for american configurations like the american civil war or the conquest of west)
l6ik52q43m0px56zg.jpg

ypom8dy0b0oc2tgzg.jpg

i know @Cdoug96 , but at that price i would buy 5 boxes of Revell 2528
also these below by Strelets are very well done
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2217
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2141

So @Booner James N. any comment ? my style is too inaccurate or the photos are too zoomed ?
They look good to be as small as they are, but their size also prevents much in the way of detail, making them look basically alike. The nicest touch I think is the use of different colors for some of the DAK figures: reed greens, khaki, feldgrau, washed-out almost white tans, etc. The British gun crews, etc. are maybe a little too uniform.

James N. because i see works around in the same scale and i think the painters are much more accurate !
here below, for example, from facebook, a last work i saw
CceyPBbeLfguq1-XwCMUukwayzs&_nc_ht=scontent-mxp1-1.jpg

there is no smudging ! (yes, me too i would have done the buttons on the coats)
this is the reason why i asked if i zoomed to much my photos

i know @Cdoug96
So @Booner James N. any comment ? my style is too inaccurate or the photos are too zoomed ?

Ariete, I think you've done a very nice job.
These are small figures, so they don't have a lot of detail, but you can try two techniques that will enhance their look: "dry brushing" and "washes.

I paint with acrylics so all I have to do is add water to make a "wash" of my paint. On small figures that lack detail, I would use a brown wash and paint that over the flesh to reduce the pink color. The wash will go into the areas around the eyes and nose and give them some detail. I would use a wash of black or dark blue where the belts go over their jackets to help bring out that detail.

Dry Brushing is something I use to bring on highlights on clothing, and areas like the forehead, nose and cheeks of the figure's face. Take your base color and add some white to it, mix it real well and put a lot of this color on the brush. Then wipe almost all of it off on a towel to the point that there is almost no color left on the brush, then lightly wipe the brush on the area you want to lighten.

Here's a You Tube link that does a good job of explaining "dry brushing" --
This guy has a whole series of video's on painting miniatures.

And another You Tube video regarding "washes" --

Again, I think you're off to a good start-keep it up! It's a very relaxing hobby. Sorry It's taken me so long to reply, I've been busy, but I have enjoyed seeing your progress!

Ariete,
I do not. I don't paint much now. And I don't build many models. I built a 1/6 Scale of a Civil War cannon. I described my project on a post on this forum. I built a diorama for it and used a new product---- paint media that is applied dry.

Link to post: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/williams-10-ounce-artillery-gun.13171/page-5

Maybe it is due to your inspiration but I decided it is time to do some repairs and maybe upgrades to my 1/6 scale cannon. I'm also trying to obtain uniforms that are more accurate to to Western Theater cavalry operations. Hope I will have something to post either here or at my original thread.

"Good trade"

photo (12).jpeg

talking again about plastic soldiers 1:72, i'm planning to purchase this product
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1883
i consider it the best one for the subject

Looks similar to some painted war gaming figures that I purchased. My figures were Virginia Cavalry wearing uniforms trimmed in Black and a black plume in their hat. I can't remember what size these are. Don't think they are 25mm; smaller. I really want to sale or trade them but mailing lead figures can't be easy.

Last edited:
Back