Ammo Collecting Civil War Bullets From $2 to $2000

Very Nice I see some good ones in there. Burnside, Sharps, Spencer, Colt pistol bullets, CS Enfields and a few nice carved bullets. Thanks for sharing his finds.
If there is any specific item that anyone would like a more detailed picture of, or there are any pieces worth discussing, just let me know with a copy of the picture with the piece of interest circled or highlighted somehow.

If there is any specific item that anyone would like a more detailed picture of, or there are any pieces worth discussing, just let me know with a copy of the picture with the piece of interest circled or highlighted somehow.

Post #115, top photo, there is a large lead disc lookin' thingie, that almost looks like it has a face...

Post #115, top photo, there is a large lead disc lookin' thingie, that almost looks like it has a face...
I've heard from various uncle's that were into relic hunting, that soldiers would flatten lead bullets for use as poker chips. I'm not sure how valid that sentiment is, if it were me, I'm not sure I would waste my ammunition for that purpose, but I'm not a bored Civil War soldier, so....

Here are a few more detailed pics. The first is the piece you're talking about.

IMG_20191110_210943.jpg

Of course, the best bullets are the ones you find yourself.

View attachment 332440

My front yard, ten feet off of the front porch, lost by a member of Company M, 117th O.V.I.

View attachment 332441View attachment 332442View attachment 332444View attachment 332445View attachment 332446

Jeffersonton Virginia. I found four bullets, and four lead case shot there. I also found 12 iron case shot.

View attachment 332447

My first bullets. Found in the camp of the 77th N.Y. Vol. position overlooking the Rappahannock River.
What did you use to find them? And boy are you lucky to have them in your yard.

I had always heard that if you found something in Gettysburg that it was supposed to be left there. Am I mistaken?

This is for National Park Service property. It is against federal law to take artifacts from NPS property, and to carry metal detecting equipment on NPS land. The bullets I have were obtained from the park in the 1800s before it was a park, and from the outskirts.

It is nearly impossible to find a bullet at Gettysburg park land today, because if a ranger sees you even bend over to look for something, you're getting questioned and everything.

Back