Ammo Collecting Civil War Bullets From $2 to $2000

1083735907.jpg

This bullet, was a part of the Iva Rosensteel collection. This particular piece came from the small wooded area, bordering the Wheatfield (Gettysburg) where the Irish Brigade monument now sits. It only cost me $25. Not bad for a beat up three ringer of this provenance

I love guessing games. VMM, OVM, SNY... I'm guessing VMM because that sounds rare.
I said it was CS, OVM & SNY arent CS and really not that rare.

Well, to back up a bit. Getting back to the tiny CW reenactment last weekend with the fellow who mixed up his canister shot with the Minie balls. He turned out to be very nice. And since I wasn't huffy and he didn't get huffy, we got talking. I joined the Manchester Historical Association and also talked about the beautiful Amoskeag Musket they had in the case. He said they don't show it very often. He found out I have sheep and can spin wool and suddenly I was introduced to other paid members of the museum and given a card. They want to keep in touch and want me to do demos in the coming year. I'm going to keep in touch with this fellow and somehow and in someway, I'm going to get to hold that Amoskeag Musket and get a picture of it!

I said it was CS, OVM & SNY arent CS and really not that rare.

Oh for petes sake, how did I overlook that detail. GMI? VMI? I give up. I'll wait. :smile:

Edit: rare, to me, is something that I cannot afford, and I cannot afford either an SNY or an OVM plate, and especially not from Gettysburg! But yeah, that CS detail? How did I not see that.

From the buyers perspective though, that's a lil' insane. I know the feeling of digging my own bullets (personally I would never sell them), and I'd sell them for that price too if it was me. I won't tell you how to sell your stuff, but a word of advice from one ebay seller to another, view it as the buyer views it.
This is how I look at it bro. if a person doesn't want to pay descent price for a nice minie ball from a certain area that I dug and I tell them where I dug it for their collection it's no big deal to me if it don't sell it don't sell.

This is how I look at it bro. if a person doesn't want to pay descent price for a nice minie ball from a certain area that I dug and I tell them where I dug it for their collection it's no big deal to me if it don't sell it don't sell.

Fair enough. I'm just a natural born cheapskate, son of a cheapskate, grandson of the father of all cheapskates, so it's bred into me, lol!

Patience, Grasshopper...
Your 17 who are you calling grasshopper. I know your pretty smart as you got me to send you some of your bullets want list for free and then you buy $25 bullets. You are surly destined to be either a lawyer or politician. :cold: :eek:

You payed $ 25 for the wheatfield bullet sounds like a fair price.
Why do you think there is such a difference is price between battles in VA etc bring more that the major battles here in the deep South. I have dug north of 3000 bullets in my 47 years and most are from Shiloh, Vburg, Stones River, Chickamauga. North Ga and South Alabama. I have never seen these go for that much.

Why do you think there is such a difference is price between battles in VA etc bring more that the major battles here in the deep South. I have dug north of 3000 bullets in my 47 years and most are from Shiloh, Vburg, Stones River, Chickamauga. North Ga and South Alabama. I have never seen these go for that much.
Not sure it must be the amount of publicity each battle has received since they were fought and maybe because of so few being fought up this way in Pa. and Md.

Not sure it must be the amount of publicity each battle has received since they were fought and maybe because of so few being fought up this way in Pa. and Md.

That kind of makes sense and there is also a mystique about Gettysburg or Antietam that lesser battle sites just don't get. Which is a shame because dead is dead wherever a soldier died but there you are.

Back