Died: November 7, 1887

Place of Death: Savannah, Georgia

Age at time of Death: 57 years old

Burial Place: Bonaventure Cemetery, Savannah, Georgia

Last edited by a moderator:
Born: September 29, 1830
Birthplace: Manchester Virginia
Father: George W. Cole 1790 – 1846

Interesting. I wonder if he is related to my Virginia ancestor. I would have to go back 2 or 3 generations at least.

{Edited}

Can't find a match. One Ancestry tree has him as a descendant of:

Robert Cole Sr. (1667–1718)
BIRTH 1667 • Henrico, Virginia
DEATH 7 APR 1718 • Henrico, Virginia

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder if he is related to my Virginia ancestor. I would have to go back 2 or 3 generations at least.

{Edited}

Can't find a match. One Ancestry tree has him as a descendant of:

Robert Cole Sr. (1667–1718)
BIRTH 1667 • Henrico, Virginia
DEATH 7 APR 1718 • Henrico, Virginia
I put his information into ancestry and found the parents very little on him

I have read alot about Lee but havnt heard a Cole mentioned on his staff so far, and the resume you cite doesnt mention him being on Lee staff, I am thick.....

I have read alot about Lee but havnt heard a Cole mentioned on his staff so far, and the resume you cite doesnt mention him being on Lee staff, I am thick.....

He was the Chief Commissary of Subsistence of the Army of Northern Virginia. A vital but according to circumstances frustratingly difficult and rather unglamerous and unappreciated job.

Last edited:

As Commander of the Army of Northern Virginia he would have been on Lee's staff. Lt. Colonel Cole was the Chief Commissary of Subsistence for the Army of Northern Virginia. You would be surprised how many people served on Lee's staff. The book Staff Officers in Gray by Author Robert E. L. Krick has a great listing of the officers.

He is one of my ancestors. He is brother to my gggrandmother, Caroline Cole Rozelle. His parents mentioned above are correct, but very little is found on his father Geo. W. Cole. RG Cole's grandfather was Revolution Patriot Hamlin Cole. Years ago I found where Cole hosted RELee at his grapefruit plantation in FL as Lee was taking his last tour shortly before his death. RG Cole never married.

Throughout the summer of 1863, Cole was deeply involved in the reorganization of the army's commissary department in response to General Orders #70, issued on May 29:

Back