Col. Henry P. Thomas; Ga. 16th, Killed on Nov. 29th 1863 Knoxville

fltelman

Private
I found this article in the SAVANNAH MORNING NEWS: SATURDAY. MAY 15, 1886

I'm not sure how accurate it is but it is very interesting. It states that he was in the Ga. 9th & Cobb's Legion.
The coat he was wearing had 19 bullet holes in it.
https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/lccn/sn82015137/1886-05-15/ed-1/seq-5.pdf

It tells about the relics that Henry Thomas has that were from his father, Col. Henry P. Thomas, killed on Nov. 29th 1863 in Knoxville, Tn.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.34.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.34.59 PM.png

Edward Loyd Thomas, the Brigadier General, was the brother of Col. Henry Philip Thomas, 16th Georgia, who was killed at Knoxville on November 29, 1863. The article in the OP describes relics in possession of the younger Henry Thomas, including the coat his father was wearing at the time he was killed. Another of Col Henry P Thomas' sons, Lieut Ed B Thomas (I/16th GA) was present at Knoxville when his father was killed.
November 30, 1863 - "I went with Lieut Ed Thomas while the flag of truce was up to get his fathers body which was brought to us by four Yankees in a litter we were not allow’d to go near the fort which they had surrounded by a strong line of pickets..."​
December 1, 1863 - "This morning Ed Thomas caused his fathers remains to be disinterred from field Infirmary & buried at the private graveyard of a Mrs Crawford about a mile from our Camp & 3 m fr[om]: Knoxville. Col Ruff was buried along side Col Thomas. I marked both of the graves with head boards & cut their names on there...." (Myers, pp. 24-25)​

Back