Col. Henry L. Burnett

Hurdurburdur

Private
Found this one yesterday and I couldn't let him be untouched... Cleaned one of the 4 up and gave it some color.

Col. Henry L. Burnett 4.jpg

Very Nice, Hurd! Who is he?

What does your signature sentence say? I'm guessing, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the Kitchen." LOL
Major Henry L. Burnett, 2nd Ohio Cavalry was transferred from the cavalry to the Judge Advocate Corps and was assigned to the mid-west where he tried the Knights of the Golden Circle / Sons of Liberty case against those involved in a plot to liberate Confederate POWs from camps in that area. The conspirators were convicted. One of them was Lambdin P. Milligan whose name lives in legal history thru the Supreme Court case titled Ex Parte Milligan. In April, 1865, as reported in the May 3, 1865, edition of the New York Times, Burnett received the following orders:
Brevet-Col. H. L. Burnet, Judge-Advocate, will report to the Judge-Advocate General, Chief of the Bureau of Military Justice, and is specially assigned for duty in the investigation of the murder of President Lincoln, and the attempted assassination of Mr. Seward. A room will be assigned him in the War Department."​
Burnett's official army rank was Major. His promotions to Colonel and, subsequently, Brigadier General were by brevet. Burnett's own account of his involvement in the Lincoln Conspiracy Trial can be found in the attached link.
http://www.iment.com/maida/familytree/burnett/lincoln.htm

Just a quick question about Col Burnett, In the photograph he has three of his tunic buttons undone, his right sleeve looks a bit odd, was he missing an arm? did he tuck his right arm sleeve into his tunic?

Just a quick question about Col Burnett, In the photograph he has three of his tunic buttons undone, his right sleeve looks a bit odd, was he missing an arm? did he tuck his right arm sleeve into his tunic?
There is a Matthew Brady picture of him in 3Fold that has both arms but no date. just 1860-65. In his biography found, here, http://www.iment.com/maida/familytree/burnett/bioportrait.html, there is no mention of a lost arm. he was involved in the Lincoln assassination trials.
Colonel+Henry+L.+Burnett+-+Assistant+Judge+Advocate+General+02.jpg

This picture was taken at the same time, I would say. Two hands in this one.

Back