Col. Harry Gilmor, 2nd Maryland Cavalry (CSA)

51HDDMHG7EL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is not far from my house. Over by the Loch Raven reservoir and Peerce's Plantation restaurant. Took the photo today. Seems Gilmor's parents owned a large piece of land and a nice home.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 247
pp159-20.jpg

Col. Gilmore certainly had one of the most splendid uniforms anywhere in North America when this photo was taken. There are similar photos floating around on the net that show an extraordinary set of riding boots.

This photo, as indicated by the mark at the lower left, is from the Maryland Historical Society.

The Gilmor Camp of MD-SCV is scheduled to celebrate Confederate Memorial Day tomorrow June 4, 2016, at Loudon Park Cemetery in Baltimore, where Gilmor is buried.

image.jpg

Harry Gilmor grave site at Loudon Park Cemeteries "Confederate Hill". Gilmor is buried along with 700-800 former Rebels. Many of the dead were the wounded who died in Baltimore hospitals. In the decades following the war Veterans wishing to be buried with fallen comrades where buried on "Confederate Hill" into the 1900's.

Along side Gilmor's grave is that of fellow Maryland Rebel Bradly T. Johnston and his wife Jane. The obelisk pictured was dedicated by "Confederate soldiers in Maryland" and "In loving memory of a noble women."

From North Carolina she famously traveled to her native state early in the war to plead for uniforms & supplies for the Maryland Rebels. They (1st Maryland infantry) were thus armed with Mississippi Rifles & outfitted in North Carolina uniforms. They fought at Bull Run & throughout Jackson's Valley Campaign & Seven Days.

image.jpg

Wow, this is great, thanks.

It goes a long way to explaining Gilmor's terrible memoir "Four Years In The Saddle." He was trying to explain away a lot of criminal behavour.

Apparently Gilmor's memoir was ghost written and had a lot of inaccuracies. For years after he received correspondence from veterans challenging statements made in the memoir.

This is not far from my house. Over by the Loch Raven reservoir and Peerce's Plantation restaurant. Took the photo today. Seems Gilmor's parents owned a large piece of land and a nice home.

Gilmor's family was very wealthy.

Baltimore's super-rich favored the Westminster Burying Ground (519 West Fayette St. Baltimore, Md., 21201) in the ante-bellum era and a Gilmor family crypt is prominent in the small cemetery. A marker explains that the Gilmor's were early "merchant princes" of the city. It also states that the Gimor bodies were actually removed to the newer, grander Greenmount Cemetery in the post-war period.

The most famous resident of the Burying Ground is Edgar Allan Poe, but students of Maryland history will recognize many other prominent family names on the tombstones and memorials.

http://explore.baltimoreheritage.org/items/show/25#.V14RStQrJix

map-westminster-burying-ground-baltimore-md.jpg

Hard to read, I know, but the Gilmor family crypt is immediately on the left as you enter through the North Greene St. gate.

Nobody seemed to notice but the MHS photo appears to be phonied up...

I think the photos were taken at different times. In the second and third the floor and floor trim appear identical. They differ from those items in first photo...

I´d agree on the MHS-picture being shopped. Pictures 2 and 3 were definitely taken in one session, but the MHS one is shopped from number 2 ... same hand gesture and finger position, same empty glove, same folds around the chest, upper right arm and near the knees, same slightly displaced belt buckle. I´d say non-regulation as for a junior officer wearing a double-breasted coat, but who cares? Now we have a little change of angle, the lower coat part has received some ironing, overall flashier insignia, saber in full view etc. I´d still say shopped.

I´d agree on the MHS-picture being shopped. Pictures 2 and 3 were definitely taken in one session, but the MHS one is shopped from number 2 ... same hand gesture and finger position, same empty glove, same folds around the chest, upper right arm and near the knees, same slightly displaced belt buckle. I´d say non-regulation as for a junior officer wearing a double-breasted coat, but who cares? Now we have a little change of angle, the lower coat part has received some ironing, overall flashier insignia, saber in full view etc. I´d still say shopped.

Yes, that was my thought, although I have no special expertise in photo manipulation.

One factor in my opinion is that it seems extremely unlikely that there would be two photo sittings with an identical uniform (except the insignia of rank), identical haircut, etc.

Back