What is this? Cohorn cannon original?

AllanB

Cadet
Can anyone tell me if this is an original cannon? I suspect it is a reproduction, but I’m not knowledgeable enough to know the difference.

403365FB-1012-4DC0-BAB6-468C03933F91.jpeg

0717C130-4C2F-48F7-96C0-9B72C1E9DDE9.jpeg

97F27F44-D65A-46E4-B5ED-391A4A91B134.jpeg

3A4BAA7A-6E41-4675-8A84-3FE2577E7D8F.jpeg

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I don't know if this an authentic Cohorn or not but I know we have many members who are knowledgeable about all artillery matters. I would suggest contacting the following members directly: @redbob, @StarkvilleCivilWarArsenal, @major bill, @ucvrelics and @Pea Shooter are just a few that I know of.
I have listed 2 threads below which will get you started on your quest.

Now that we have gotten over the trival here is the important part of this post:

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! The Shiloh/Pittsburg has many threads dealing with artillery used at the Battle of Shiloh, so come join us!
Regards
David

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ceohorn-type-motar.17706/

https://civilwartalk.com/forums/cannons-artillery-crew-served-weapons.141/

bayonet

Corporal
Yeah - definitely a fake. Best to just send it to me and continue to look for the real thing.
Nah send it to my Brother. That Knucklehead wanted to take my 300 year old 130 pound swivel cannon (yes swivel attached) that was under fresh water for about 250-300 years out into the yard and fire it. Told the Bonehead he will do no such thing. Had to instruct the Wife and kids if Daddy ain't around don't let Numnuts take the Cannon into the yard and fire it. Send it to him, he might enjoy a hospital stay or a early meeting with Saint Peter.

bayonet

Corporal
@bayonet you a little harsh about your brother! Sounds like you are nominating him as a Darwin Award candidate?
Regards
David
We Irish tend to be harsh on each other (and others :bounce:). He would of been up for a Darwin if he went thru with it and an injury occurred and I would of beat him like a red headed step child if he destroyed my $6000 (or more) cannon.