Brass Napoleon Award Cockrell's 1st Missouri Brigade

I thought I'd add a bit more to this. Thanks to @MOBDEnut and his research on a different thread regarding the 6 MO (can't remember the name of thread now), but he lists a soldier named Edwin Hickman who was listed as being present at Champion Hill and who was an amputee (lost right arm at Corinth). So he has uncovered one primary source to verify one-armed Rebels at Champion Hill serving under Cockrell.

I hope his work from his other thread about the 6 Mo. (Co. B I think) is somehow incorporated here.
Yeah, I noticed that. Here's the thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/very-large-research-project-co-b-6th-mo-inf-csa.133938/

Here are the service cards of the three previously mentioned armless members of the 5th Missouri Infantry: Thomas Doyle, John T. Tipton, and William Henry Hicks, respectively:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/Images/Archives/Military/s00905/s00905_1114.pdf
http://www.sos.mo.gov/Images/Archives/Military/s00905/s00905_1780.pdf
http://www.sos.mo.gov/Images/Archives/Military/s00905/s00905_1268.pdf

@alan polk thanks! I was waiting to compile all the info in one post here when I am done to avoid clutter. I feel the other thread is starting to become piece meal. However I am posting stuff as I complete it. Also let it be known that several people have assisted me in compiling the information on Company B 6th MO Inf. As well.
Good deal. By the way I edited my post to reflect the help you have received on the other thread. Y'all are doing great work and I'm glad it will be compiled in one location!

Yeah, I noticed that. Here's the thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/very-large-research-project-co-b-6th-mo-inf-csa.133938/

Here are the service cards of the three previously mentioned armless members of the 5th Missouri Infantry: Thomas Doyle, John T. Tipton, and William Henry Hicks, respectively:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/Images/Archives/Military/s00905/s00905_1114.pdf
http://www.sos.mo.gov/Images/Archives/Military/s00905/s00905_1780.pdf
http://www.sos.mo.gov/Images/Archives/Military/s00905/s00905_1268.pdf
Thanks! If you already posted that and I missed it, I apologize.

The notion of disabled soldiers still serving is interesting. I know the Missouri brigade is unique, and I wonder how much of the disabled guys' reasons to remain (those disabled east of river) are because they couldn't reasonably return to Missouri or whether they were that dedicated or a combination of the two.

It's a topic I've never thought about or paid attention to until I read about it in reference to the Missouri brigade. For all I know, it was common for other units to have the same kind of men still serving.

Another interesting item would be to find out in what capacity they served after becoming disabled. It would be hard to Service a musket with one arm. But, hey, those guys were so tough, it wouldn't surprise me at all!

Thanks for all the threads!!

Last edited:
I wonder how much of the disabled guys' reasons to remain (those disabled east of river) are because they couldn't reasonably return to Missouri or whether they were that dedicated or a combination of the two.

The main reason stated in memoirs and accounts is because, MO was having their own Civil War, and mini war with Kansas still. (Wide awake films did a good documentary ). If they went back most were considered outlaws and would be taken up in the partisan fighting. Remember Kass and Missouri were already fighting in the 1850s over slavery and other politics. Many of the "wild west" stories come from the MO, KS, and OK areas. It was a very brutal war within a war to say the least!

Also every member left in the MO brigade that surrendered at Fort Blakeley AL. Was wounded from 1 to 9 times. They had fought in over 20 engagments and prized their reputation as a fighting unit. The 1st and 2nd then just the MO brigade, post Vicksburg is a very interesting and amazing story! One that normally is over shadowed by the eastern theater troops, which is typically what Americans associate with the Civil War.

To even dig deeper into its history you have to look into the Missouri State Guard prior to crossing the river. The battle of Wilson's Creek predated Bull Run/Manassas.

Another interesting item would be to find out in what capacity they served after becoming disabled.

Below you can see he was promoted to LT after he lost his arm. So he would not need to cary a rifle after that. After he was wounded in the hip he was moved to the Quarter Master of the Trans-Miss due to unfit for field service.

I can look more into the guys from the 5th. It would be interesting to see what was a common practice for guys with missing limbs and wounds that would limit there service.

Hickman, Edwin A. (Alfred)
Rank: PVT/ 1st Segeant (1SG) May 12 1862 / 1LT Nov 26 1862
Enlisted: March 24 1862, Frog Bayou AR
Battles: Elk Horn, Iuka, Corinth, Port Gibson, Baker's Creek, Vicksburg
Wounded: Oct 3 (4) 1862 Corinth Miss. lost right arm
Paid: for 26 Nov 62- 31 Jan 63 for $195.03
Reported: Back from hospital Feb 2 1863
Wounded: May 20 1863 Vicksburg Miss. Left Hip
Reported: Left at Vicksburg in hospital on Jul-Aug 1863 rolls
Reported: Nov-Dec rolls 1863 as offered leave of absence, unsuitable for field service
Assigned: QM of Trans-Miss Dep. went west of river.
Birth: Oct 10, 1819
Residence (Res): Independence MO.
Death: Dec. 8, 1887
Woodlawn Cemetery
Independence, Jackson County MO.
Find A Grave Memorial # 42262958
(Thanks George Martin for additional information)

Thanks! If you already posted that and I missed it, I apologize.

The notion of disabled soldiers still serving is interesting. I know the Missouri brigade is unique, and I wonder how much of the disabled guys' reasons to remain (those disabled east of river) are because they couldn't reasonably return to Missouri or whether they were that dedicated or a combination of the two.

It's a topic I've never thought about or paid attention to until I read about it in reference to the Missouri brigade. For all I know, it was common for other units to have the same kind of men still serving.

Another interesting item would be to find out in what capacity they served after becoming disabled. It would be hard to Service a musket with one arm. But, hey, those guys were so tough, it wouldn't surprise me at all!

Thanks for all the threads!!
The main reason stated in memoirs and accounts is because, MO was having their own Civil War, and mini war with Kansas still. (Wide awake films did a good documentary ). If they went back most were considered outlaws and would be taken up in the partisan fighting. Remember Kass and Missouri were already fighting in the 1850s over slavery and other politics. Many of the "wild west" stories come from the MO, KS, and OK areas. It was a very brutal war within a war to say the least!

Also every member left in the MO brigade that surrendered at Fort Blakeley AL. Was wounded from 1 to 9 times. They had fought in over 20 engagments and prized their reputation as a fighting unit. The 1st and 2nd then just the MO brigade, post Vicksburg is a very interesting and amazing story! One that normally is over shadowed by the eastern theater troops, which is typically what Americans associate with the Civil War.

To even dig deeper into its history you have to look into the Missouri State Guard prior to crossing the river. The battle of Wilson's Creek predated Bull Run/Manassas.
This is one reason why I find the Missouri troops of Price's Division fascinating.

I think a major reason those that stayed in the brigade until the end, or as long as they could physically do so, was largely due to unit pride. The 1st Missouri Brigade had a strong esprit de corps that was present in some of the best units. That was obviously reflected in the brigade's reputation not only on the battlefield but also on the parade ground - their knack for drill and discipline - and their overall cohesiveness as a unit. They knew they were the best. The troops that remained after Vicksburg through the end of the war were at the core of that organization. Of course camaraderie was another factor. Like in most units, after enduring so much together a tight bond was formed between fellow comrades and commanders.

I believe most members of the brigade would have preferred to fight in Missouri or at least in the Trans-Miss. Before he left, Price promised in 1862 that he would have them moved back across the Mississippi some day, but that promise was never fulfilled. Despite that, many were still willing to fight east of the river as long as the brigade was there. There were some men who crossed the Mississippi after Vicksburg, only to recross later and return to the brigade when they could have easily joined another unit closer to home.

Because of these unique aspects it would be interesting if someone did something like a demographic study of the Missouri Brigade to analyse their individual backgrounds, motivations for fighting and what kept them going.

Since today, May 22, is the anniversary, here is an excerpt from Cockrell's OR of the siege of Vicksburg describing the repulse of the Federal attacks on May 19 and 22. Bowen's Division being the reserve, the 1st Missouri Brigade moved to supported different sections of the line during the attacks, mainly around the Stockade Redan and surrounding works.

On May 18, 1863, began the siege of Vicksburg. On this evening I received an order from General Bowen to move out the Graveyard road to support Major-General Smith's division. Reporting to General Smith, in obedience to his order I occupied a line on the extreme left in advance of the main line, after occupied during the siege, and was fired upon by the enemy's skirmishers before gaining my position. Skirmishing continued till darkness closed in. This evening I had 1 man killed and 8 men wounded. During the night of the 18th instant, I withdrew in rear of our main line, and remained in reserve, in rear of the right of Brigadier-General Baldwin's brigade.

About 2 p. m. (19 instant), the enemy massed a large force in front of Brigadier-General Shoup's brigade and the left of Brigadier-General Hebert and the right of Brigadier-general Baldwin's, and made a most furious and determined assault. Seeing this concentration of the enemy's force, I immediately moved the Fifth Missouri Infantry, under Colonel McCown, to the support of General Hebert's left, and the First Missouri Infantry, under Colonel A. C. Riley, to the support of line at the stockade between General Hebert's left and Shoup's right, and the Second Missouri Infantry, under Lieutenant Colonel P. S. Senteny, to the support of the Twenty-seventh Louisiana Regiment, on Shoup's right, and the Sixth Missouri Infantry, under Col. Eugene Erwin, to the support of Brigadier-General Vaughn's brigade, on the extreme left (then threatened), and held the Third Missouri Infantry, under Col. W. R. Gause, in readiness to re-enforce any point. The enemy in large masses, without any regular lines, pressed forward very close to our works, but were soon severely repulsed and driven back in disorder; and every subsequent effort was likewise repulsed.

This brigade, with General Shoup's brave Louisianians, had the honor of receiving the first assault of the enemy and repulsing them--suffering, too, the dangers, incident to such clash in arms, losing 8 killed and 62 wounded in this engagement.

The brave and gallant William F. Luckett, ordnance sergeant Second Missouri Infantry, acting with me as aide, while bringing us ammunition, was mortally wounded and afterward died.

The brigade remained near this line up to the 22nd instant. On this day, about 2 p. m., the enemy, preparatory to a charge, moved his whole force as near our lines as could be done, and then made a most desperate and protracted effort to carry our lines by assault. This assault was preceded by a most furious fire from the enemy's numerous batteries, of shell, grape, and canister. The air was literally burdened with hissing missiles of death. During the terrific clash of arms, the Fifth Missouri Infantry occupied a line to the right of the Thirty-sixth Mississippi Regiment, in Hebert's brigade; the Third Missouri occupied the stockade and the redan to its right; five companies of the Second Missouri occupied a portion of the line of the Twenty-seventh Louisiana Infantry, and the other five companies in reserve; six companies of First Missouri Infantry were placed in the trenches with the Thirty-sixth Mississippi Regiment, and one company occupied the redan to the right of the Thirty-sixth Mississippi Regiment, and the remaining three companies were moved from point to point; and the Sixth Missouri Infantry was sent to re-enforce Brigadier-General Moore's line, and then General Hebert's line north of the Jackson road. Nobly did the officers and soldiers of this brigade greet every assault of the enemy with defiant shouts and a deliberately aimed fire, and herded them back in disorder. The enemy gained the ditch around the redan to the right to the stockade and occupied it for some time. Colonel Gause, of the Third Missouri Infantry, procured some fuse-shell, and, using them as hand-grenades, threw them into the ditch, where they exploded, killing and wounding some 22 of the enemy.

This day the brigade lost 28 killed and 95 wounded, the Third Missouri suffering fearfully, losing 12 killed and 52 wounded, having been exposed during the assault to an enfilading and rear fire in the redan, against which there was then no protection or defense.

In the CV article by W. J. Ervin on Lt. K. H. Faulkner of Co. E, 3rd Missouri Inf. (see post #37) it is stated that it was Faulkner's idea to use the shells as hand-grenades at the Stockade Redan.

It was at Vicksburg, on May 22, that my dear friend Faulkner came to the front. During the fearful onslaught of that day by General Grant on our fortifications, our regiment, the Third Missouri Infantry, occupied "The Stockade" or what was afterwards known as the "slaughter pen." It was erected at a salient point of our works and played upon by forty pieces of the enemy's artillery, and being subjected to a cross fire of both artillery and small arms, together with three terrific charges and onslaughts made in succession by infantry columns upon our works led by Gen. Frank P. Blair, of Missouri, who was afterwards United States Senator and candidate for Vice President.

In defeat the Federal troops took refuge in an immense excavation made around the base of the hill upon which our stockade was built. In an attempt to dislodge the Federal troops just below us, King Hiram Faulkner went to the magazine of a battery that had been silenced and disabled, calling for the six-pound shells left, and ordered the fuses on them cut to three seconds. Thereupon the sergeant refused a notice so short. He then called the writer to his aid, to perform this work unknown to the average infantryman; but, being a private, I obeyed orders. Time and excitement did the balance. Upon the throwing of each of the forty or more of these shells a demand was made by Lieutenant Faulkner for surrender. From General Blair's men came back the sad refrain: "Go to h—."

On the following morning twenty-seven dead were counted in the works around our base, General Blair and his men escaping under the cover of darkness. This was the beginning of hand grenade throwing, which became so annoying and destructive during this siege. On May 25, when a truce was made for the burial of the dead, General Blair asked General Cockrell for the name of the man who threw those shells. When informed who he was, he sought an introduction to him, stating that he admired a genius in war. Colonel Faulkner and myself were in retirement just then, but upon the call dear old Frank went to the front, where he was introduced to General Blair. I will never forget that scene—a Federal major general eulogizing a Confederate lieutenant for his bravery and perseverance.
siegevicksurg1-jpg.104552.jpg

Here's a diorama located in the Missouri State Museum at the Missouri State Capitol depicting the attack on the Stockade Redan and surrounding works at Vicksburg. The Stockade Redan can be seen in the background with Missouri battle flag flying, and I believe that is the Federal "forlorn hope" detachment charging down the Graveyard Road.
https://friendsofmsm.org/civil-war/

Last edited:
This Saturday May 27, the Vicksburg National Military Park will be holding rededication ceremonies for the Missouri monument. I hope to attend.

This past weekend they were supposed to unveil a new marker on the Champion Hill battlefield memorializing Bowen's counter attack. However, weather caused that to be postponed (or at least that's what the web site indicated).

Just thought I'd pass the info along to you guys.

This Saturday May 27, the Vicksburg National Military Park will be holding rededication ceremonies for the Missouri monument. I hope to attend.

This past weekend they were supposed to unveil a new marker on the Champion Hill battlefield memorializing Bowen's counter attack. However, weather caused that to be postponed (or at least that's what the web site indicated).

Just thought I'd pass the info along to you guys.
Thanks for heads up. Nice to hear that the Missourians' actions at Champion Hill and Vicksburg have not been forgotten.

Lately I've been searching through Reminiscences of the Boys in Gray, a compilation of accounts from Confederate veterans living in Texas, and ran across this good one by a veteran of the 6th Missouri Infantry. @MOBDEnut I think you'd be interested in seeing this if you haven't already.

When he says he joined the 6th Missouri at Springfield I think he means one of the Confederate battalions that later formed the 6th Missouri Infantry, as the Sixth wasn't organized until fall of 1862 in Mississippi.

J. F. Smith 1.jpg

J. F. Smith 2.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to add that this was in volume 2. Here are the links to both on Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/stream/reminiscencesofbv1year#page/n5/mode/2up
https://archive.org/stream/reminiscencesofb00year#page/n5/mode/2up

It really is a goldmine. Of course there are some small discrepancies here and there but its fun to read through.

Last edited:
@AUG351 I found a:

Smith, James F. (Not jimmy)
Enlisted: Jan 1,1862 Springfield MO, Capt. Pitcher's CO. MSG.
Shown on rolls for CO A 6th MO Inf. CSA.
From Charl. SC
Res: KC, MO
Battles: Lexington, iuka, corinth, grand gulf, Port Gibson
POW: Port Gobson, "Now with the VA. Army"

Now that's just me skimming through. It seams though it matches up with his discription.

Last edited:
It is interesting to note: James, Smith also talks about the rumor of Price's men drinking gunpowder and whiskey. That is the Second account I have read regarding this at 2nd Corinth.
Yeah, I've read that myth a number of times as an explanation/excuse for the ferocity of a certain attack by the enemy and why their own lines were broken, of course. Must have been a popular rumor among the ranks.

Courtesy of Scott George:

"The prototype of the Missouri Battle Flag had 15 stars.

Belle Edmondson, who created the flag and presented it to Gen. Price, said the stars were for the 15 southern Christian states.

We were always puzzled about who the 15th state was. Belle never said in her diary.

In 1862, Lloyd’s map of the southern states was created. Virginia is shown before West Virginia was split off.

Note that Lloyd’s definition of southern states includes Delaware. There is the 15th state.

This would have been contemporary knowledge for Ms. Edmondson. We thank her for her prototype flag leading to the Missouri Battle Flag.

References:
“The Flags of Civil War Missouri,” Glenn Dedmondt, Pelican Publishing company, 2009, pg. 79-83. http://books.google.com/books?id=9Dx3AAAAMAAJ&q=cross+flag

“A Lost Heroine of the Confederacy: The Diaries and Letters of Belle Edmondson,” ed. Loretta and William Galbraith, Jackson and London, University of Mississippi, 1990

Edmondson Collection, University of Mississippi, Oxford

This incident was also discussed in ” Women in the American Civil War, Volume 1” By Lisa Tendrich Frank. Ms. Frank describes the presentation to Gen. Price. Then, she states that the flag was issued, minus the stars, to the troops. And, that the flag became known as the “Bowen” pattern."

General Price MO Battle Flag.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0683.PNG
IMG_0682.PNG

Photo of new markers at Champion Hill memorializing the Crossroads and Bowen's counter attack, May 16, 1863.

Cockrell's brigade was instrumental in the attack.

It was also their first engagement in the Vicksburg Campaign where they were able to use their newly issued Enfield muskets. At Port Gibson, they carried .69 caliber muskets. When they ran out of ammo at Port Gibson, they were unable to use ammo from dead Yankees who littered the ground all around them.

At Champion Hill, the men, once again, found themselves out of ammo in the middle of a deadly fight with no means of resupply. This time, however, they were able to utilize .58 caliber ammunition gathered from their dead and wounded foe who carried Springfield muskets. They remained on the field and in the fight until even this source of ammo was eventually exhausted.

The markers are located at the original crossroads of Jackson Road, Ratliff Road and Middle Road. The crossroads changed hands 3 times - a bloodied spot, indeed.

The peaceful isolation and remoteness of the place today belies the violence and bloodletting that occurred there so many years ago.

Last edited:
At Port Gibson, they carried .69 caliber muskets. When they ran out of ammo at Port Gibson, they were unable to use ammo from dead Yankees who littered the ground all around them.

What is the source for this? I am very interested as I am trying to document Ordnance used at 2ND Corinth by the 1st and 2nd MO brigades.

Phillip Tucker, Westerners In Gray: The Men and Missions of the Elite Fifth Missouri Infantry Regiment, p. 168.

I have a diary account that is being mailed to me from a museum that states Enfields were issued May 7,1863

Was looking up reports of a particular skirmish that occurred south of Atlanta around Lovejoy's Station and Jonesboro. French's Division withdrew from Atlanta the night of Sept. 1-2 and took up position at Lovejoy's Station on Sept. 3. From then through Sept. 5 they were under heavy artillery fire and, due to the flat nature of the ground and hastily prepared earthworks, suffered a number of losses from shells alone. On Sept. 6, with the withdrawal of the Federals to his front (consisting of the XIV and XV Corps), Cockrell attacked the Federal rear guard, driving them back for several miles.

Cockrell's OR:

Major D. W. SANDERS,

Assistant Adjutant-General.

HEADQUARTERS MISSOURI BRIGADE,

September 6, 1864-7 p. m.

MAJOR: I have just returned with my brigade from the front, and have the honor to report that, in obedience to the permission granted me by Major-General French, I moved with my brigade along the Jonesborough road, and first encountered the rear of the enemy's army about two miles this side of Jonesborough, and at once began to skirmish with and drive them back. This was about 10 a. m. My skirmishers drove them back steadily and slowly about one mile, and here encountered the enemy posted in strong skirmish pits. The enemy's skirmishers held their position in their pits with much stubbornness, and the skirmishing was quite heavy for about one hour, and the enemy fired two pieces of artillery some ten or twelve times on my skirmishers. I did not use my section of Captain Guibor's battery. Having fully developed the skirmish line of the enemy, my skirmishers charges and drove them from their pits, and they retreated into Jonesborough, and thence to the line of works built by Lieutenant-General Hardee, just north of the town. My skirmishers then advanced into the north part of the town and drove the Yankee skirmishers from our old works back to the line occupied by them when attacked by General Hardee.

In these skirmishes we captured 6 prisoners—5 belonging to Fourteenth Army Corps, and 1 from Fifteenth Army Corps, captured in our old line westward of Jonesborough. From these prisoners, and also from citizens, I learn that the Fourteenth Army Corps has been stationed at Jonesborough since its occupation by the Yankees, and that the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Corps were both in their old works, north of Jonesborough, and probably two other corps, when my skirmishers advanced. The Fourteenth Corps marched through Jonesborough as rear guard.

From citizens and prisoners I learn that the enemy lost from 20 to 30 killed and wounded in my skirmish with them, including 1 lieutenant killed. I lost 10 wounded—7 slightly wounded, including Lieutenant B. F. Welch, Second and Sixth Missouri Infantry, and 3 severely, and I fear mortally, including Lieutenant Strong, of the First and Third Missouri Cavalry (dismounted). My aide-de-camp, N. M. Young, had his horse killed under him.

After finding the enemy in so large force in a fortified position, I withdrew from Jonesborough and marched back from one and a half to two miles, and here found General Gist's division. General Gist and staff were in person present with me during a part of the skirmishing.

After meeting General Gist's division on my return I received orders from him to remain with him during the night, and after halting and remaining till sundown I then received authority from him to return. When near our present line I received Lieutenant-General Stewart's order to return. The enemy evinced no disposition to advance, and acted entirely on the defensive, and the stubborn resistance of the skirmishers was, I think, owing to the fact that their train had not arrived inside their fortifications just north of the town. When I withdrew they did not pursue. The railroad track is torn up in places and the ties burned and the rails bent in other places. Near Jonesborough it is completely destroyed. From what I have seen and learned from prisoners and citizens, Sherman is falling back to Atlanta with his main army.

Most respectfully, your obedient servant,

F. M. COCKRELL,

Brigadier-General.​

An excerpt from Cockrell's OR of operations from July 17 to September 7, 1864:

September 6 the enemy had withdrawn from our front, and as soon as it was known I at once asked permission of Major-General French to follow up the enemy, which was granted, and about 8 a. m. I moved on the road leading to Jonesborough, along the railroad, with my brigade; passed Cheatham's division, commanded by Brigadier-General Gist, just outside of our works, and continued to advance and engage the enemy's skirmishers some distance south of Jonesborough; drove them back steadily to a strong line of skirmish works just south of Jonesborough, and with two companies, commanded, respectively, by Lieutenants Strong and Mahan, from First and Third Cavalry, two companies from Second and Sixth Infantry, commanded, respectively, by Captain Alford and Hickey, and one company from Third and Fifth Infantry, commanded by Captain P. Canniff, all commanded by Captain Canniff, a fearless and skillful officer, charged these works, drove the enemy from them, capturing several prisoners after a very spirited engagement, and pursued them to their main line of works just north of Jonesborough, where the enemy were found in very large force behind their old line of works occupied by them August 31.

In this skirmish Lieutenants Benjamin F. Welch. Company G., Second and Sixth; A. J. Strong, Company B, First and Third Regiment, in the fearless discharge of duty, were wounded, the latter very severely; 1 sergeant and 4 men from Second and Sixth and 2 men from First and Third were wounded.

In this little engagement both officers and men bore themselves with conspicuous gallantry, and drove at least three times their own number from strong skirmish works. A detailed report of this day's operations has been heretofore made.

Late in the afternoon we returned to our old position, meeting and passing Gist's command about one mile and a half south of Jonesborough.

In both Joseph Boyce's memoirs and Lt. George W. Warren's diary they state that a number of Indians serving in a Minnesota regiment were captured. That was either the 2nd Minnesota Infantry in the XIV Corps or 4th Minnesota Infantry in the XV Corps. Boyce only gives a passing mention to the skirmish; it sounds like Warren went a bit more in detail but I don't have access to his diary. Also no surprise that the skirmishers were commanded by Capt. Canniff who seems to have been the Missouri Brigade's designated skirmish and outpost officer.

Lieutenant George Warren of the 3rd-5th Missouri and his squad of nine men now constituted one-third the strength of Company A. He described the Jonesboro skirmish as his men, "raised a ringing yell and went at them." Warren captured a "bluecoated gent" and relieved him of "a splendid Enfield rifle" and "the rest of the day took special pleasure in fighting the Devil with fire, or in other words using against the Federals their own powder and ball." His prisoner was an Indian belonging to a Minnesota regiment who at first pretended he could not speak English but later told Warren, "we were fighting four companies of his regiment."
- Gottschalk, In Deadly Earnest, p. 401.

Last edited:
Back