Brass Napoleon Award Cockrell's 1st Missouri Brigade

Thank you, I'm not looking for any in particular. Other than my curiosity, I was thinking about doing some kind of narrative with the Missouri Brigade, with a character originally from Kentucky. Plenty of KY families settled in the Missouri River region, a company from there that was later included in the Missouri Brigade should work fine.
I have a book about the size of a large city phonebook, Sterling Prices Lieutenants, If someone was an officer from staff/administration, Regt commanders down to company commanders in MSG, I can usually find them and unit

I have a book about the size of a large city phonebook, Sterling Prices Lieutenants, If someone was an officer from staff/administration, Regt commanders down to company commanders in MSG, I can usually find them and unit
I won't keep on this subject much longer to avoid going off topic, but any unit from the Missouri River area should be fine.

The Atlanta Campaign, May-September, 1864 - Over the next several months the Missouri Brigade and French's Division see some of the harshest campaigning they would experience throughout the war. They aren't engaged in every major battle but they are under fire, marching or digging earthworks almost every day of the campaign. From the New Hope Church line, the Lattimer House, Kennesaw Mountain, Chattahoochee River line, Peachtree Creek, and in the Atlanta defenses, the Missourians see constant skirmishing and artillery fire. Like their experience at Vicksburg, the lines are often just yards apart and sharpshooting goes on day and night. One of the major battles they play a notable part in is Kennesaw Mountain, defending Pigeon Hill against Federal attacks on June 27. The Missouri Brigade numbered 1,630 men on May 6 and about 1,100 by September, losing 531 men throughout the campaign.
I swear I've inquired about this matter before on this thread, but it seems I have not.
For those not familiar, I have been working in the Atlanta Campaign subforum to compile as many strength & casualty returns for the Army of Tennessee during that campaign. In all my research, I have never found that "1630 men" figure. I wonder where it originates from. Is it from a report not present in the O.R.s? An internal report from the brigade?
If anyone has more information regarding this, please inform me.

Just so I can add to this thread beyond my question: I have been able to find in the National Archives (Record Group 109, M935, Roll 5, 8-H-15) the pfd strength for the brigade as of August 20th.
  • First Missouri Brigade (981 officers & men): BG Francis M. Cockrell
    • Field & Staff (9 officers)
    • 1st&4th MO IR (139 officers & men): Ltc. Hugh A. Garland
    • 2nd&6th MO IR (270 officers & men): Ltc. Stephen Cooper
    • 3rd&5th MO IR (282 officers & men): Col. James McCown
    • 1st&3rd MO DCR (281? officers & men): Col. Elijah Gates

Back