Co B - 34th North Carolina - J.C. Byers

ncirish

Cadet
I am trying to track down some information on an ancestor - Capt J.C. Byers, Co B. 34th NC Infantry.

I have just finished my MA Thesis on Pender's Brigade, and am now wanting to track down some missing family info.

Floridaman1985, I need to get in touch with you in regards to your ancestor George Huntley. I do NOT have new info, but I have something in the works about Scales' Brigade on July 1, 1863 in front of the seminary that you may like.

I am trying to track down some information on an ancestor - Capt J.C. Byers, Co B. 34th NC Infantry.
I have just finished my MA Thesis on Pender's Brigade, and am now wanting to track down some missing family info.

What sort of info are you looking for; general info on his service and his unit, or more specific info on his life beyond the military?

Floridaman1985, I need to get in touch with you in regards to your ancestor George Huntley. I do NOT have new info, but I have something in the works about Scales' Brigade on July 1, 1863 in front of the seminary that you may like.

Joseph C. Byers

Residence Cleveland County NC; a 29 year-old Farmer. Enlisted on 9/2/1861 at Rutherford County, NC as a Private. On 10/25/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. NC 34th Infantry He Re-enlisted on 10/25/1863 (date and method of discharge not given) (Re-enlisted as Priv) He was listed as: * AWOL 10/24/1863 (place not stated) Promotions: * 1st Lieut 9/2/1861 * Capt 4/18/1862 Other Information: born in Cleveland County, NC Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.: - North Carolina Troops 1861-65, A Roster

I checked the Service Records in Fold3 and it is a little confusing as his rank went to Private in 1864. Could this be records on two people with same name? Hmm, not in same unit.

Here are a few notes that I jotted down.

Private Joseph C. Byers Co. B
Sept- Oct 1863
Jan-Feb 1864 Absent on Furlough
Mar-Apr Present
May-Jun Present
July-Aug Present
Sept-Oct Present

Roll of Honor Lt. Joseph C. Byers Age 29
Comments: Promoted to Capt. April 12, 1862. Deserted Sept 1. 1863

Capt J. B. Byers - Sick in Hospital in Virginia in June 1862

And a card with this info:
Court-martial Record G.O. No. 93-5
Dept of N. Va-Lee
Date: Oct 24/63

I'm all ears! I'm hoping to make it up there for the 1st since that was when George Job was mortally wounded. Both of our relatives were from Cleveland County, NC. Wonder if they knew each other? Impossible to know unfortunately. George Job didn't mention J.C. Byers in his letters, but that isn't necessarily definitive.

Actually, we found the information we were looking for regarding George Job Huntley because of a helpful ranger at Cold Harbor.

https://books.google.com/books?id=V...over&source=gbs_atb&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Volume 2

Roster of NC Troops In the War between the States during the Years 1861, 1862, 1863, and 1865

26th​ thru 36th​

Back