Clintonville, WI-cancelled

jenna

Cadet
:noway: Oh it is a sad day when an event gets cancelled. For those in this neck of the woods that know about this event, I just thought I would share what I have recently received from the event organizer:

Regretfully, we have cancelled the Civil War Encampment in Clintonville.
We have been unable to generate enough of a crowd to pay the expenses, and
have had difficulty in getting people to work.

We are most grateful for the help and support of people over the years. We
have had a great deal of fun, and have made many wonderful friends. Thanks
to all of you.

It has been fun. Hope to get to other reenactments this year.

Thanks,

Rich Beggs
Chair, Civil War Committee
Clintonville Historical Society.

It was such a nice event, set in a real pretty park with a nice creek that ran thru most of it. The cav guys loved it because there was always a place to cool the horses off. And the battle each year was great. Last year they actually lit haybales on fire to creat a smoke screen and did a full tacticall battle both days of the weekend. One year they even had a young woman, hunting on her farm, who was attacked by two deserter Rebs. Her crys for help were heard by both sides and a battle ensued. It was great. Even though it was small scaled, it was allot of fun.

Oh it is so very disappointing. I hate to see this one go. The problem is that it is such a small town, and they have a softball tournament on that Sunday that always brings in more people to the adjacent field then it does to the encampment. They always treated us so nice, a great meal of fried chicken or ham with potatos and treats like you wouldn't believe, and they always had such a nice dance with live music. Really knew how to treat us right. But most of all it was the setting that really did it. The park was great, and we always camped out right in front of the brick restrooms with real running water, and never had to go far to get water for camp, since there was a hose right outside. It was just a great event!!

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jenna

Back