1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Clinton,Louisiana

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by bdtex, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Corporal

We love visiting these spots on weekdays too. They are definitely less crowded and that adds to the experience. Sometimes silence is required for true reflection and to get the feel of the place. I think your pictures are great!

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

I was definitely the only one at the cemetery in Clinton. After viewing the courthouse,I drove straight to the Port Hudson National Cemetery and I was the only one there for the hour I was there.

Eleanor Rose likes this.
  4. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

Thanks for posting all this!!!!!

Years ago, my friend and I decided to metal detect my yard here in central Mississippi. We found a couple Minnie balls, but my friend found a brass scabbard tip (finial) to a sword. Scratched into the brass were the words: "Ripley H. Conrad" "Delta Rifles" "4th La Volunteers."

My friend researched the guy (eventually wrote a book about him). He lived and served in those areas you have visited. Was either wounded or became sick near Clinton and died in 1862. Apparently, another soldier got his sword after he died and ended up losing the finial in my yard, probably in 1864.

5. bdtex

Wow! What a great story. Thanks for sharing it. You can't make up stuff like that.

alan polk and Eleanor Rose like this.
  6. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

If y'all want me too, I'll call my friend and see if he will send me pictures of the finial. He paid a professional photographer to take close up pictures of it.

7. bdtex

You bet. You know we like pictures. :D

8. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

Ok. I called him and he said he'd send me pictures of it this evening. Also, he reminded me it was not a finial to a sword; it was a finial to something akin to a Bowie knife. When he sends pictures I'll post them.

bdtex likes this.
  9. mt155

mt155 First Sergeant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

I went to Vicksburg in January 2015 and it was great. Since the trees block most of no-mans-land you can't get a good view of the opposing lines. In the summer you just see trees and vines while looking across. In January you got a better line of site from one side to the other.

AndyHall and Nathanb1 like this.
  10. bdtex

I was mainly talking about colors. But yeah,another reason I like winter trips is that the vegetation is as down as it gets and visibility on some battlefields is as good as it gets.

11. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Great photos. Thanks for posting.

bdtex likes this.
  12. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

Not to mention not dying of heatstroke and dehydration. Besides...it's so yucky when you lie down to take a photo and leave a puddle of sweat. People look at you funny. :smile:

bdtex and mt155 like this.
  13. dlavin

dlavin Sergeant

Great thread and photos bdtex!

The other drawback with winter civil waring is the days are shorter, maybe more so on the east coast but still. An extra few hours can make a big difference. But you go when you can and we all enjoy your trip.

Nathanb1 and bdtex like this.
  14. mt155

mt155 First Sergeant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

I thought about lying down at the Sniper's Den in Gettysburg but I was too hot and sweaty and I knew I would end up with sweat mud all over me so I tried to get one of the kids to do it. No luck.

Nathanb1 and bdtex like this.
  15. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

close  up.jpg
    Above is a very close-up image of the finial owned by Ripley H. Conrad who died near Clinton, LA in 1862. I've tried to re-size the image.

Eleanor Rose and bdtex like this.
  16. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

cover.jpg diagram.jpg
    Above is the book my friend wrote about the Conrad family and a diagram (or artist's rendering) of the Bowie Knife.

AndyHall, Eleanor Rose and bdtex like this.
  17. bdtex

I can read most of that. What a great find.

Eleanor Rose and alan polk like this.
  18. AndyHall

AndyHall Lt. Colonel Forum Host

I checked on adverts for Princess, and there are three in Huber's book from New Orleans newspapers between 1855 and 1859. I love these old ads because they reveal a lot about the boats, their schedules, and so on:

Princess Adverts.png
    Leonard V. Huber, Advertisements of Lower Mississippi River Steamboats, 1812-1920 (West Barrington, Rhode Island: Steamship Historical Society of America, 1959).

bdtex likes this.
  19. bdtex

That is good stuff.

AndyHall likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)