Clinch Rifles Uniform

Chattahooch33

Sergeant Major
Annual Winner
I was at the Burge Plantation over the winter for a wedding and they had this in a case. The Clinch Rifles were a pre-war militia group that became Co. A of the 5th Georgia. They are famous for their green uniforms and have been in numerous painting and drawings.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I was at the Burge Plantation over the winter for a wedding and they had this in a case. The Clinch Rifles were a pre-war militia group that became Co. A of the 5th Georgia. They are famous for their green uniforms and have been in numerous painting and drawings.

Interesting; in his Centennial series of uniform plates done in 1961 for LIFE Magazine artist, historian, and reenactor George Woodbridge depicted them in BLUE:

woodbridge-uniform-studies-002-jpg.15355.jpg

Probably did not wear these long in Confederate service.
Thanks for sharing. Here's a previous thread with some early war images of the Clinch Rifles: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/clinch-rifles.77651/

Was that an older uniform? Troiani depicts them in this print with a frock coat and forage cap, ca. 1861.

View attachment 150611

It occurs to me that as a company of Rifles they very well could (or even should) have worn European green.

The United States Regiment of Riflemen 1808-1821 wore green tail coats and green trousers. Many of the militia rifle companies probably wore green coats because of this.

Also as a pretty distinguished prewar militia (club) they may have had several uniforms.

I agree that over the life of the CR they had several type uniforms. GREAT Post and photos.

View attachment 150598

View attachment 150599
Thanks for posting. I hope it is in an environmentally controlled environment. It'd be a shame to lose it....

View attachment 150598

View attachment 150599

The Clinch Rifles were formed from the Clinch Engine Company No. 2 (Augusta, Ga.) in 1851. This uniform probably dates from this period since it wasn't being worn when they went off to war in 1861.

@Chattahooch33 do you have a close up photograph showing display placard?

1.jpg

The Clinch Rifles were formed from the Clinch Engine Company No. 2 (Augusta, Ga.) in 1851. This uniform probably dates from this period since it wasn't being worn when they went off to war in 1861.

@Chattahooch33 do you have a close up photograph showing display placard?

View attachment 151129

I wish I did... I have no idea why I didn't. Let me check around online.

Has anyone seen anything about them wearing green uniforms off to war? I would have to look a bit deeper but believe they probably wore blue when they left for war.

The initial CR uniform was their blue fire coat with the addition of more buttons and a standing red collar. This is the only blue uniform they ever wore (other than possible captured federal clothing and the post-war blue w/gray trousers). Next came the green tail coat as pictured in the initial post. By 1860 they were in the well noted dark green frock with darker green pants. A dark green jacket and yellow trimmed shoulder straps and black trousers for fatigue. These frock in what they wore to war. During the initial posting at Pensacola they were issued black "saque" coats. This is from the company's "Minute Book".

They're wearing forage caps in the 1861 photos. The one in the original post is a shako.

Here's a photo of them in Augusta, Ga., April 1861.
View attachment 167075

I would offer that all of the caps in the original photo are the same... the "dress cap" without the 'stiffener' in place resulting in various heights. The caps in the "official " pic are difficult to discern. They could, again, be the dress caps or might be the new fatigue caps ordered from New York in February, 1861

Back