Cleburnes Repulse of Sherman at Missionary Ridge

I think it might be an image from Battles and Leaders, not sure.

Here is Keith Rocco's depiction of the fight on Tunnel Hill, Never Forsake the Colors! The regiment featured in the 93rd Illinois. Col. Holden Putnam grabbed the 93rd's colors and told his men "never to forsake them," just before being shot in the head and killed only moments later.
25367273_1211265180_dbs_214_Keith_Rocco_12.jpg

0For%20Tunnel%20Hill%20-%20November%2025%2C%201863.jpg

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/chattanooga/chattanooga-maps/chattanooga-tunnel-hill.html

Sherman was a good strategist and truly brilliant when it came to logistics, but frankly lousy as a tactician. It's no wonder he got his clock cleaned by Cleburne.
.....Which is why I, personally, don't think Sherman was "all that".......(in MY opinion, he was not very good at logistics either.....nearly starved his army on the March to the Sea)....Anyway, I did not mean to hi-jack the thread.....Thanks for your indulgence! :smile:

.....Which is why I, personally, don't think Sherman was "all that".......(in MY opinion, he was not very good at logistics either.....nearly starved his army on the March to the Sea)....Anyway, I did not mean to hi-jack the thread.....Thanks for your indulgence! :smile:
Nearly starved his army? He had more cattle at Savannah than he had starting out. His army had never eaten better. All he took with him was what he couldn't hope to find .... ammunition, flour and salt and coffee. (Can't run an army without coffee.)

He almost ran out when going through the pine barrens, and the guys had to do with rice. But , let's face it, they didn't run out of food. Rethink that "nearly starved" thingy.

"Before daybreak on November 24, Sherman began crossing the Tennessee River (the same time that Hooker was preparing to attack Lookout Mountain). By noon, most of his troops had crossed. With 30,000 men, Sherman was to lead the Union's primary assault against the Rebels. His target was the north end of Missionary Ridge known as Tunnel Hill.

"Sherman planned to capture Tunnel Hill before nightfall and sweep the remaining Rebels off the ridge on the 25th. The Army of the Tennessee started their advance about 1:00. By 4:00, they had taken what Sherman thought was Tunnel Hill (Sherman was at the rear until nightfall). Sherman, thinking he had accomplished his primary objective and expecting a counterattack, ordered his troops to stop and fortify their position. But Sherman had made a critical mistake. He had not taken the north end of Missionary Ridge, but a separate hill known as Billy Goat Hill. Sherman's maps were inaccurate and the entire north end of Missionary Ridge still remained in Confederate control."

http://chattanooga.freeservers.com/civilwar/missionaryridge.htm

I disagree with this article.

In the book Six Armies in Tennessee, historian Steven Woodworth wrote ""Historians, including the present writer, have for years criticized Sherman for supposedly being on the wrong height, a detached hill rather than the north end of the ridge, as he supposed and reported to Grant. Careful examination of the ground and written evidence, however, reveals that the high ground Sherman's men took on the afternoon of November 24 was indeed part of Missionary Ridge."

I agree with Woodworth that the ground and maps show the hills Sherman took on the 24th were the north end of the ridge. Tunnel Hill was the next hill of the ridge.

The hill behind this gas station is where Sherman was supposed to have captured. It was occupied by Clebourne. Sherman instead and by mistake went up the rear of a detached hill, not connected to Missionary Ridge. In the Google Earth pix, you can see they are not connected and the road separating them was there during the battle. The Red outline is part of Missionary Ridge, the yellow is Billy Goat Hill and also called Battery Heights as thats where Shermans artilary was located.

Attachments

• 7E44DB72-E737-4977-97A7-2EB74C3071C3.jpeg
    7E44DB72-E737-4977-97A7-2EB74C3071C3.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 151
  • C8E58472-28BF-49CF-92A5-929A8F901837.jpeg
    C8E58472-28BF-49CF-92A5-929A8F901837.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 160
  • 30C5C594-0C48-4D14-81B5-F73A9C865555.jpeg
    30C5C594-0C48-4D14-81B5-F73A9C865555.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 182
I think Billy Goat Hill is the north end of Missionary Ridge.
I disagree with this article.

In the book Six Armies in Tennessee, historian Steven Woodworth wrote ""Historians, including the present writer, have for years criticized Sherman for supposedly being on the wrong height, a detached hill rather than the north end of the ridge, as he supposed and reported to Grant. Careful examination of the ground and written evidence, however, reveals that the high ground Sherman's men took on the afternoon of November 24 was indeed part of Missionary Ridge."

I agree with Woodworth that the ground and maps show the hills Sherman took on the 24th were the north end of the ridge. Tunnel Hill was the next hill of the ridge.

He was in the Wrong Hill. Did a Battlefield walk last fall with the Park Historian. Had to correct and make his assault the next day. It is confusing looking at it, even from a distance.

And this drawing is incredibly accurate showing the distance of Clebourne on the North End of Missionary Ridge and the Union on Battery Heights in the rear left distance. The line of Union troops in the valley is the road between the two hills. Believe me, my family lived about 1/4 mile away and I’ve walked every inch of both Clebourne’s area and the Union area!
6493BD24-AE71-4A22-82FA-3402CCD4FA77.jpeg

He was in the Wrong Hill. Did a Battlefield walk last fall with the Park Historian. Had to correct and make his assault the next day. It is confusing looking at it, even from a distance.

Glad you went as hardly ANYBODY goes to Shermans Reservation (Clebournes position) anymore as its not really safe! I mentioned it to the NPS Rangers yesterday when I was at Chickamauga, and they kind of rolled their eyes and agreed that its not the safest place to leave your car and walk to. I used to go all the time in the 80’s with my two sons but not anymore. I tried to go last week but quickly turned away. Too bad

Back