Cleburne by David Wright

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
0.jpg

Maj. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne sits on Winstead Hill, about two miles south of Franklin, TN, just before the attack. Franklin and the Army of the Ohio entrenched around it are in the background. The Columbia Pike can also be seen running north to the town. The men of the 33rd Alabama Infantry of Brig. Gen. Mark P. Lowrey's Brigade stand just behind Cleburne. Probably around this moment was when Cleburne uttered his famous words to Brig. Gen. Daniel C. Govan, "Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men."

http://www.davidwrightart.com/

Last edited:
0.jpg

Maj. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne on Winstead Hill, about 2 miles south of Franklin TN, just before the attack. Franklin and the Army of Ohio entrenched around it are in the background. The Columbia Pike can also be seen running north to Franklin. The men of the 33rd Alabama Infantry of Brig. Gen. Mark P. Lowery's Brigade stand right behind Cleburne. Probably around this moment was when Cleburne said his famous words to Brig. Gen. Daniel C. Govan, "Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men."

Great picture, thanks for sharing it.

David Wright has done some other ACW artwork, mostly Confederate generals.

The Solitude of Command
view.jpg

Forrest at Shiloh
view.jpg

Jackson - Valley Campaign
view.jpg

A General's Farewell
view.jpg

Forrest says farewell to Cleburne after the meeting at the home of William Harrison before the attack on Franklin.

I am doing a program on Irish Confederate Soldiers in the Civil War. One I will be discussing is Patrick Cleburne. I will use this picture of him with others I have put together. This is a really nice one of him. This is program for my chapter of United Daughters of the Confederacy.
You may have already seen these but here are two by Don Troiani of Cleburne at Franklin and Chickamauga. The one of Cleburne in the attack at Franklin goes almost perfectly with Wright's two of Cleburne, although there are a few differences, such as the color of the sheath on his sword and the color of his trousers.

459940_313602055381202_139172046_o.jpg

0e4e839be519599f25c7a49a3b3b5ce1.jpg

0.jpg

Maj. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne on Winstead Hill, about 2 miles south of Franklin TN, just before the attack. Franklin and the Army of Ohio entrenched around it are in the background. The Columbia Pike can also be seen running north to Franklin. The men of the 33rd Alabama Infantry of Brig. Gen. Mark P. Lowery's Brigade stand right behind Cleburne. Probably around this moment was when Cleburne said his famous words to Brig. Gen. Daniel C. Govan, "Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men."

The thing that gets me with this painting isn't so much Cleburne (although I think its a wonderful representation of him) but the men in the background - these are the remnants of the Army of Tennessee whose ranks have been decimated from countless skirmishes and battles but still form ranks when ordered and advance into nearly certain death despite the fact that the cause they have fought for is lost and has been lost for some time. Just incredible to me. We'll never see their like again.

Thanks for reference to other paintings. I am using one of his monument too.

Some others I will be discussing in my program are Captain Thomas Quirk, Chief of Scouts, John Hunt Morgan's Cavalry, who was born in Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland; five other Irish born Confederate generals (William Montague Browne, Walter Paye Lane, Joseph Finegan, James Hagan, and Patrick Theodore Moore.); and Rev. John B. Bannon, chaplain, soldier and diplomat, who was born in Roosky, Ireland. They are all very interesting.

I am trying to find appropriate pictures of all of them.

I have this print of the painting and it is gorgeous! The colors are very vibrant and the location is spot on. I just had to have a print of this painting which shows Cleburne and my unit the 33rd Alabama.

The thing that gets me with this painting isn't so much Cleburne (although I think its a wonderful representation of him) but the men in the background - these are the remnants of the Army of Tennessee whose ranks have been decimated from countless skirmishes and battles but still form ranks when ordered and advance into nearly certain death despite the fact that the cause they have fought for is lost and has been lost for some time. Just incredible to me. We'll never see their like again.
I am writing a book about them--the 33rd Alabama--now. You are 101% right: we'll never see their like, again. Those men, by themselves, were the living definition of the word "soldier."

Reactions: AUG
David Wright has done some other ACW artwork, mostly Confederate generals.

The Solitude of Command
view.jpg

Forrest at Shiloh
view.jpg

Jackson - Valley Campaign
view.jpg

A General's Farewell
view.jpg

Forrest says farewell to Cleburne after the meeting at the home of William Harrison before the attack on Franklin.
Mr. Wright is a superb artist. He not only does Civil War art, but some really nice frontier artwork, as well. And he's a really nice man, too.

Reactions: AUG
I never heard of this artist. But he does produce some very beautiful historical paintings. Where can one buy his portraits? Does he just produce civil war period works or does he paint other periods of American history? David.
Thanks for reference to other paintings. I am using one of his monument too.

Some others I will be discussing in my program are Captain Thomas Quirk, Chief of Scouts, John Hunt Morgan's Cavalry, who was born in Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland; five other Irish born Confederate generals (William Montague Browne, Walter Paye Lane, Joseph Finegan, James Hagan, and Patrick Theodore Moore.); and Rev. John B. Bannon, chaplain, soldier and diplomat, who was born in Roosky, Ireland. They are all very interesting.

I am trying to find appropriate pictures of all of them.
Donna. You should contact the Military History Institute (AHEC) at Carlisle, Pennsylvania. They have one of the largest MOLLUS photograph collections in the United States. Their contact number is: (717)245-3949 and ask for Rich Baker. David.

Back