Period Clarified Lemonade

lemonade-with-fresh-lemon-14733502632pk.jpg

Clarified Lemonade

From "The Lady's Own Cookery Book", 1844

Ingredients 6 lemons 1/2 pound of sugar 1/2 pint of rich white wine 1 quart of boiling water 1/2 pint of boiling milk Instructions Pare the rind of three lemons as thin as you can; put them into a jug, with the juice of six lemons, the sugar, white wine, and boiling water. Let it stand all night. In the morning, add the boiling milk: then run it through a jelly-bag till quite clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron
Clarified Lemonade

Ingredients 6 lemons 1/2 pound of sugar 1/2 pint of rich white wine 1 quart of boiling water 1/2 pint of boiling milk Instructions Pare the rind of three lemons as thin as you can; put them into a jug, with the juice of six lemons, the sugar, white wine, and boiling water. Let it stand all night. In the morning, add the boiling milk: then run it through a jelly-bag till quite clear.
I'm not sure this sounds good. Milk and lemonade- hmmmm.

Milk and lemonade and wine?! :eek: Those Victorians and their weird food and drink.

I could see the lemons and wine maybe, as I've enjoyed the Italian treat of Limoncello - it's an lemon liquor that is very refreshing and typically homemade by many who hail from the Naples region.

Lemon cello is refreshing.

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Silver Patron
View attachment 143405
Clarified Lemonade

Hey Albert. Have you tried this?