yankee hoorah

First Sergeant
Does anyone have any comments
on either of these companies.

I'm looking at Stonybrook's standard
grade trousers & Daley's Sack Coat.

Thank You.
YH

Stonybrook sets the standard for service and their quality is outstanding. You get exactly what you pay for and they will tell you exactly what you are getting. CJ Daley... outstanding quality if you ever get it. I will never by CJ Daley gear unless I'm holding it in my hands and about to pay for it. No mail order... ever.

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/vendor-feedback.22930/

Last edited:
Any comments on this Columbus Depot?
10404506_816183341771665_7564283895233295773_n.jpg

Looks like a fine jacket to me excepting the little tag inside the collar, which could easily be fixed.

I dunno about the Stony brook trousers, though. Don't have any experience with the company myself but wool/synthetic blend articles is not something I'd pay more than $50 for and even then only if I didn't have much money on hand and needed 'em fast. Shame as they seem to know a great deal about the correct fit and cut (which I don't).

I agree about CJ. Never do mail order with him. In person, go for it as he does make a good product.

Regarding the photo, it's hard to tell what is right or wrong about a jacket. Beyond being a tan jean with blue collar and cuffs, there's nothing else to say about that jacket. For example, look at a photo of jackets from Blockade Runner. They would pass a photo test. However, I've had an opportunity to examine one of their CD jackets at my leisure. They didn't pass muster. Interior fabric was muslin, cut of the pattern was different than the pattern sold by Childs, and sleeves were two piece not one piece. In fairness, it has been several years since I examined one so I'll give them benefit of the doubt about ones made today. That's not a blessing, it's just an acknowledgement that I haven't seen on in a while.

Malingerer, what do you mean by saying the cuffs need to be medium blue? That's not the impression I get from the definitive article about CD Jackets :
http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/articles/walden/cdjacket.htm The photos there show dark blue collars and cuffs. Any lightness may be from fading or poor photography. Many sure look dark to me.

I agree about CJ. Never do mail order with him. In person, go for it as he does make a good product.

Regarding the photo, it's hard to tell what is right or wrong about a jacket. Beyond being a tan jean with blue collar and cuffs, there's nothing else to say about that jacket. For example, look at a photo of jackets from Blockade Runner. They would pass a photo test. However, I've had an opportunity to examine one of their CD jackets at my leisure. They didn't pass muster. Interior fabric was muslin, cut of the pattern was different than the pattern sold by Childs, and sleeves were two piece not one piece. In fairness, it has been several years since I examined one so I'll give them benefit of the doubt about ones made today. That's not a blessing, it's just an acknowledgement that I haven't seen on in a while.

Malingerer, what do you mean by saying the cuffs need to be medium blue? That's not the impression I get from the definitive article about CD Jackets :
http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/articles/walden/cdjacket.htm The photos there show dark blue collars and cuffs. Any lightness may be from fading or poor photography. Many sure look dark to me.
By medium blue I meant somewhere between sky blue and navy (Prussian? - I think I was absent the day we did colors in Kindergarden). I've read the Walden article plus the Les Jensen article plus I've seen the Woodward jacket in person plus I checked my copy of Echoes of Glory - conclusion - a rich indigo blue of medium hue. I've always thought Wambaugh and White have come the closest that I've seen of all the mass produced repros.

Stoney Brook standard grade trousers are very nice. Althought he uses a wool blend his pattern sets him apart from sutler row quality trousers. I look at his standard grade as an in between level of authenticity. Outwardly they look great, if you want correct interior stitching he sells those also at a higher price.

Daley does fine work if you can get it. Currently Regimental Quartermaster is carrying some Daley items, so that is an easier source.

Back