CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 9 - 9 - 2021

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
IMG_0272.jpg

This week Throwback Thursday reverts to the subject of now-little-known or little-remembered Union and Confederate toy soldiers from the Centennial era of the 1950's and 1960's when I was a lad. I didn't own these particular figures which I discovered in a plastic bag for $2 at my favorite huge monthly flea market a few years ago, though I had a few like them. I most likely only saved from back then a single example, the officer brandishing his sword over his head, because of their overall poor quality and detail, or lack thereof. At least one pose is missing: there was another standing officer wearing a hat and holding a pistol in one hand and his sword down at his side in the other. None were "designated" as Union or Confederate but were molded indiscriminately in either blue or gray plastic; I don't remember there being any mounted figures, cannons, etc. Unfortunately (?) I no longer know the maker of these awkward figures.

IMG_0273.jpg
IMG_0274.jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, memorabilia, or artifacts from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

IMG_0275.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 413368

This week Throwback Thursday reverts to the subject of now-little-known or little-remembered Union and Confederate toy soldiers from the Centennial era of the 1950's and 1960's when I was a lad. I didn't own these particular figures which I discovered in a plastic bag for $2 at my favorite huge monthly flea market a few years ago, though I had a few like them. I most likely only saved from back then a single example, the officer brandishing his sword over his head, because of their overall poor quality and detail, or lack thereof. At least one pose is missing: there was another standing officer wearing a hat and holding a pistol in one hand and his sword down at his side in the other. Unfortunately (?) I no longer know the maker of these awkward figures.

View attachment 413369View attachment 413370

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, memorabilia, or artifacts from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

View attachment 413371
Another set I've never seen . Although I had the Marx playset , during the Centennial there were bagged Civil War soldiers that were available at many toy or department stores . I got some of those but never paid attention to the makers . We made a family trip that went as far south as Manassas in 1962 and there were all kinds of Civil War related things that fascinated a 9 year old boy from Michigan.

Another set I've never seen . Although I had the Marx playset , during the Centennial there were bagged Civil War soldiers that were available at many toy or department stores . I got some of those but never paid attention to the makers . We made a family trip that went as far south as Manassas in 1962 and there were all kinds of Civil War related things that fascinated a 9 year old boy from Michigan.
I wonder if certain things like this were more common in the South than other parts of the country? At least at this time most things like this were products of the United States - foreign imports from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and certainly Communist China were mostly in the future. There was however a "better" and much more expensive class of imports like the metal figures and sets made by the William Britain's Co. in England, Mignot in France and possibly a few others.

Last edited:
I wonder if certain things like this were more common in the South than other parts of the country? At lest at this time most things like this were products of the United States - foreign imports from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and certainly Communist China were mostly in the future. There was however a "better" and much more expensive class of imports like the metal figures and sets made by the William Britain's Co. in England, Mignot in France and possibly a few others.
I saw my first Britains ( plastic) near Manassas but they were out of my price range as a youngster . They were mounted cavalry and really made an impression . I did get several cheap souvenirs such as a group of plastic artillery pieces that you snapped together and came on a cardboard base . Also some of those old cast metal cannon that may still be available . About the only thing I have left is a "Minie ball " mounted on a thick cardboard backing that I bought at Front Royal . The backing is long gone but the bullet is easy to find because it has a hole in the side where the screw mounted it to the cardboard . Yes , travelling south during the Centennial (1962) was an amazing thing for a kid interested in history .

I had those figures circa 1970!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn´t care for them either, because the quality was poor, and they were a good bit bigger than the Marx playset figures. They came with a horse that was much too small for the mounted officer. They were my ¨spare set¨ that lived at my Grandmother´s house, reserved for visiting. I do like the pose on the far left of the first pic, and the officer swinging the sword. The lack of bases was very frustrating.

Another set I've never seen
Same here.

And Lord knows, I knew ALL of my little plastic Civil War "Army Men".
Although I had the Marx playset
I had a few of the of the Marx playsets.
But I do remember every one of them.

Plus, I had my older cousin's 1950's plastic CW soldiers thrown in with the Marx play-sets.

:bounce:

How I wish we could return to those days.
That's about all we were worried about ... back then .

I had those figures circa 1970!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn´t care for them either, because the quality was poor, and they were a good bit bigger than the Marx playset figures. They came with a horse that was much too small for the mounted officer. They were my ¨spare set¨ that lived at my Grandmother´s house, reserved for visiting. I do like the pose on the far left of the first pic, and the officer swinging the sword. The lack of bases was very frustrating.
I had the exact same gripes.

However, I thought I was the only kid that had a spare set of "un cool" toys at my Grandmother's house.

View attachment 413368

This week Throwback Thursday reverts to the subject of now-little-known or little-remembered Union and Confederate toy soldiers from the Centennial era of the 1950's and 1960's when I was a lad. I didn't own these particular figures which I discovered in a plastic bag for $2 at my favorite huge monthly flea market a few years ago, though I had a few like them. I most likely only saved from back then a single example, the officer brandishing his sword over his head, because of their overall poor quality and detail, or lack thereof. At least one pose is missing: there was another standing officer wearing a hat and holding a pistol in one hand and his sword down at his side in the other. None were "designated" as Union or Confederate but were molded indiscriminately in either blue or gray plastic; I don't remember there being any mounted figures, cannons, etc. Unfortunately (?) I no longer know the maker of these awkward figures.

View attachment 413371
These guys were made by Tim Mee Toys of Aurora, IL.
Tim Mee was named after the nephew of the founder’s secretary (duh, Timmy). They made WW II, Cowboys, Indians, Cavalry, Frontiersmen, Knights, Robin Hood, Pirates, Clowns/Circus, Police/Swat, Firemen, Farmers/Animals, Dinosaurs, Snow White figures, Dogs, and a number of vehicles. The company started production circa 1948, and the lines of figures had been sold as late as 1995, under shifting ownerships.

In addition to the standing and riding officers that have been mentioned above, there were also a drummer, a bugler, and a kneeling firer that were produced.

View attachment 413368

View attachment 413371
Who made those? Marx? TimMee? TimMee is still a respectable plastic soldier (made in USA!) to this day.

Tim Mee was named after the nephew of the founder’s secretary (duh, Timmy). They made WW II, Cowboys, Indians, Cavalry, Frontiersmen, Knights, Robin Hood, Pirates, Clowns/Circus, Police/Swat, Firemen, Farmers/Animals, Dinosaurs, Snow White figures, Dogs, and a number of vehicles. The company started production circa 1948, and the lines of figures had been sold as late as 1995, under shifting ownerships.

In addition to the standing and riding officers that have been mentioned above, there were also a drummer, a bugler, and a kneeling firer that were produced.
They’re still around. I played with Green/Tan TimMee army men in the late 1990s.

I too remember Tim Mee Toys but thought these particular figures were too execrable even for them! I had quite a few of them, mainly the WWII/Korean era U.S. soldiers. Now that you mention them I DO seem to remember the equally awkward bugler, drummer, and rifleman; I can't conjure up a mental image of a mounted figure though - maybe that was one I never had?

Back