CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 9 - 26 - 2019

Avalon Hill, Strategy & Tactics/SPI, GDW ...
Gettysburg, Stalingrad, Battle of the Bulge ...
Terrible Swift Sword ...
War in the East ...
Drang Nach Osten/Unentschieden ...
La Bataille de la Moscova, Wagram ...
:hungry:
Quite a blast from the past. I started wargaming after I discovered AH (?) had a Starship Troopers game. I subscribed to the monthly S&T mag where you got a new game each month. What fun!

Terrible Swift Sword was one of the best if not the best game systems ever developed.

Kinda became a problem for my folks when I set up the S&T "Market Garden" game that would only fit on our ping pong table in the basement. sigh. time flies....

Avalon Hill, Strategy & Tactics/SPI, GDW ...
Gettysburg, Stalingrad, Battle of the Bulge ...
Terrible Swift Sword ...
War in the East ...
Drang Nach Osten/Unentschieden ...
La Bataille de la Moscova, Wagram ...
:hungry:
Got or had most of the first ones named; lost interest when things like 1914, Terrible Swift Sword, Jutland, Panzerblitz, etc. appeared.

Neat games! My husband LOVES history strategy games, like Axis and Allies. Would any of these vintage games fall into that category? His birthday is coming up, and he might enjoy one of these, if I could find one on ebay or something. Thank you!

Quite a blast from the past. I started wargaming after I discovered AH (?) had a Starship Troopers game. I subscribed to the monthly S&T mag where you got a new game each month. What fun!

Terrible Swift Sword was one of the best if not the best game systems ever developed.

Kinda became a problem for my folks when I set up the S&T "Market Garden" game that would only fit on our ping pong table in the basement. sigh. time flies....
I'm happy to write they I still own my Avalon Hill games and my Civil War collection of military simulations now adds up to over 45 games. While I loved Terrible Swift Sword (TSS) and still proudly own it, I have to say that the Eric Lee Smith recent game, "Battle Hymn Gettysburg and Pea Ridge" is a better system and more playable. It is however, a brigade level game whereas TSS was a regimental system.

Boardgamegeek has a treasure trove of board wargames on the American Civil War. Like Chamberson, I have a large collection of ACW games, ranging from tactical to strategic. This link is a good start: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/70657/top-10-strategic-american-civil-war-games

Also, go to the sites for Multi-Man Publishing and GMT, along with Compass Games and Revolution Games. They all have fantastic Civil War boardgames available. :smile:

Here's mine, made by Avalon Hill. Still has all the pieces too ! 1958
20190927_180611.jpg

Neat games! My husband LOVES history strategy games, like Axis and Allies. Would any of these vintage games fall into that category? His birthday is coming up, and he might enjoy one of these, if I could find one on ebay or something. Thank you!
I'm happy to write they I still own my Avalon Hill games and my Civil War collection of military simulations now adds up to over 45 games. While I loved Terrible Swift Sword (TSS) and still proudly own it, I have to say that the Eric Lee Smith recent game, "Battle Hymn Gettysburg and Pea Ridge" is a better system and more playable. It is however, a brigade level game whereas TSS was a regimental system.
Welcome to the forums! Liz, the games I'm deliberately featuring are definitely in the "beginner" category; I've never played any of the Axis & Allies but I believe the several games in that series are more advanced, certainly moreso than 1863 or Battle Cry are.

I took the 1863 game and blew it up to a large size and used it with my 6th grade students when we were studying the Civil War. They had fun learning about the topography and seeing if they could change the outcome of the war.

Back