CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 7 - 18 - 2019

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image.jpg

This week's Throwback Thursday revisits a couple of my friends from early days in reenacting. Last week @1863surgeon Doug Garnett informed me that another of the members of our old unit Douglas' Texas Battery/The North Texas Reenactment Society was in the news: after 25 years, Dr. Richard B. Winders was retiring from his post as Curator of the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas! I have known Bruce since around 1980 when he joined while working on his Masters Degree in history; later he received his Doctorate from the University of Texas at Arlington, specializing in the Mexican War. From there, he soon was hired in 1996 to be curator. In the photo above taken at a ca. 1983 Fourth of July event at Dallas' Old City Park, Bruce is the officer at left; below, a recent news photo of Dr. Winders inside the Alamo Chapel holding an original Walker Colt.

Another person in the photo above should also be mentioned: I'd forgotten about having a photo of the late Roger Johnson, standing at far right. Roger wasn't a member of our group but as a new resident of the D-FW Metroplex participated with us until starting his own unit, one of several over the years that has borne the title 9th Texas Infantry. (This is a popular identity in the North Texas area because the original Confederate regiment was the only one made up from companies raised in this area.) Roger was a tireless recruiter and I got to witness his salesmanship firsthand. By the time of the 135th Anniversary events he had created his own Confederate "brigade" within the Texas-Oklahoma-Arkansas region which he commanded as its colonel at several large-scale reenactments. I only found out about his passing a couple of years ago; he's surely missed within the hobby. Others standing between Bruce and Roger, from left to right: Corporal Glen Hargis, Privates Mike Hubbard, John Gattis, and Paul Pryor all of the North Texas Reenactment Society, and Sergeant George Susat of the Confederate Guard.

Bruce Winders at the Alamo.jpg

Anyone else having old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history events, vacation or other travel is welcome and encouraged to post them here in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
View attachment 316851

This week's Throwback Thursday revisits a couple of my friends from early days in reenacting. Last week @1863surgeon Doug Garnett informed me that another of the members of our old unit Douglas' Texas Battery/The North Texas Reenactment Society was in the news: after 25 years, Dr. Richard B. Winders was retiring from his post as Curator of the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas! I have known Bruce since around 1980 when he joined while working on his Masters Degree in history; later he received his Doctorate from the University of Texas at Arlington, specializing in the Mexican War. From there, he soon was hired in 1996 to be curator. In the photo above taken at a ca. 1983 Fourth of July event at Dallas' Old City Park, Bruce is the officer at left; below, a recent news photo of Dr. Winders inside the Alamo Chapel holding an original Walker Colt.

Another person in the photo above should also be mentioned: I'd forgotten about having a photo of the late Roger Johnson, standing at far right. Roger wasn't a member of our group but as a new resident of the D-FW Metroplex participated with us until starting his own unit, one of several over the years that has borne the title 9th Texas Infantry. (This is a popular identity in the North Texas area because the original Confederate regiment was the only one made up from companies raised in this area.) Roger was a tireless recruiter and I got to witness his salesmanship firsthand. By the time of the 135th Anniversary events he had created his own Confederate "brigade" within the Texas-Oklahoma-Arkansas region which he commanded as its colonel at several large-scale reenactments. I only found out about his passing a couple of years ago; he's surely missed within the hobby. Others standing between Bruce and Roger, from left to right: Corporal Glen Hargis, Privates Mike Hubbard, John Gattis, and Paul Pryor all of the North Texas Reenactment Society, and Sergeant George Susat of the Confederate Guard.

View attachment 316850

Anyone else having old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history events, vacation or other travel is welcome and encouraged to post them here in this weekly thread!

NOOOOOOO! Not my favorite Dr. Bruce! I hadn't seen it, so thank you for sharing. LOL....maybe he'll have time to play with other things. (Hope it was by choice and not health-related or anything). Best guardian of the Alamo ever (but he has staff he trained, so I'm pretty sure things are in good hands.

NOOOOOOO! Not my favorite Dr. Bruce! I hadn't seen it, so thank you for sharing. LOL....maybe he'll have time to play with other things. (Hope it was by choice and not health-related or anything). Best guardian of the Alamo ever (but he has staff he trained, so I'm pretty sure things are in good hands.
Hi, Nate - it's good to see you back and posting again! Are you coming to Vicksburg this October?

Back