CivilWarTalk Throwback - Thursday 4-2-2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
A Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all!

Image (18).jpg

This week Throwback Thursday will have to relocate to Tuesday because starting tomorrow the public library where I do all my "computing" will be closed indefinitely due to the current so-called "health crisis." This week's subjects are a pair of photos of members of my reenactment group The North Texas Reenactment Society "hoking it up" for the camera in a patch of woods near the suburban home of our unit commander, Glen Smith. One reason for these photos was that we had recently improved our Confederate infantry impressions and wanted documentation. In these still relatively early days of reenacting, ca. 1980 or thereabouts, it was common for organizers of "authentic" events to request photos of units or even individual reenactors and their kits in order to weed out obvious farbs. (This was also the later case for productions like Glory and Gettysburg as well.) In these photos, although I wasn't really an officer I'd had an officer's frock tailored from a Columbia Military Academy greatcoat, so I'm performing the honors; Glen and his teenaged son Colin are the infantry privates nearest the camera - unfortunately I don't now recognize the farthest man .

Image (19).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments or other events or vacation or other travel is welcome and encouraged to share them with us in this formerly weekly thread! I don't know how long this situation will last, but once the scare is past I hope to resume everything as normal.

I am so new to the community I dont have any throwback pictures..boo!

Talked to him on the phone yesterday - he's doing fine. Says he'll be back whenever the library reopens. He's too ornery to get on high-speed Intenet. ("I REFUSE to pay the exhorbitant... et etc" was his comment)
I'm glad James is doing well !

I would have been disappointed if he would have given a different response !

BTW, let him know most libraries across the nation are closed.
Hang in there James N. we'll get through this !

I need ya' here.

You're one of a few that rembers the Confederama.

:whistling:

Last edited:
I'm glad James is doing well !

I would have been disappointed if would have given a different response !

BTW, let him know most libraries across the nation are closed.
Hang in there James N. we'll get through this !

I need ya' here.

You're about the only member that remembers the Confederama.

:whistling:

Almost. We used to travel from Louisville, KY to south Georgia when I was a kid and had to go over Lookout Mt. every time. I remember it (and the good fireworks stores).

Almost. We used to travel from Louisville, KY to south Georgia when I was a kid and had to go over Lookout Mt. every time. I remember it (and the good fireworks stores).

Lookout Mountain, Rock City, Ruby Falls . . . those were the days my friend !

I had forgotten about the fireworks stores.

But I gave my Dad a hard time from the backseat . . . to stop at every Stuckey's
along the way . . . oh those family 'vacations'.

:smoke:

Last edited:
Lookout Mountain, Rock City, Ruby Falls . . . those were the days my friend !

I had forgotten about the fireworks stores.

But I gave my Dad a hard time from the backseat . . . to stop at every Stuckey's
along the way . . . on those family 'vacations'.

:smoke:

Yes, indeed. See seven states. I'd forgotten about Stuckeys but now fondly remember them.

Those were great places. I always enjoyed Rock City. My Dad said fireworks were unsafe so we were never allowed to buy them. I do remember all the stores.

Tell James hello from me too. Our libraries are all closed and have been for sometime and will stay that way for quite a while.

My parents thought fireworks unsafe, too - especially my mother. For some reason they allowed me to buy them (and they were illegal in Kentucky). My parents were the type that would obey all laws under all conditions no matter how ridiculous. I always said my father, were he travelling across a featureless, perfectly flat, dry, well-paved road with no other vehicles visible for miles, would obey a stop sign because it was the law. Yet they allowed me to spend all my birthday money every year on fireworks and even to give them to my friends.

Who knows but I was crazy about fireworks. I still love a good show.

Yes, indeed. See seven states. I'd forgotten about Stuckeys but now fondly remember them.

My parents thought fireworks unsafe, too - especially my mother. For some reason they allowed me to buy them (and they were illegal in Kentucky). My parents were the type that would obey all laws under all conditions no matter how ridiculous. I always said my father, were he travelling across a featureless, perfectly flat, dry, well-paved road with no other vehicles visible for miles, would obey a stop sign because it was the law. Yet they allowed me to spend all my birthday money every year on fireworks and even to give them to my friends.

Who knows but I was crazy about fireworks. I still love a good show.
Speaking of Stuckey's - do you remember that there was one near Gettysburg, located across the street from the Peach Orchard? Sickles could have gone in for some treats. JamesN remmebered it form 1960 - but I don't know when it closed.

Speaking of Stuckey's - do you remember that there was one near Gettysburg, located across the street from the Peach Orchard? Sickles could have gone in for some treats. JamesN remmebered it form 1960 - but I don't know when it closed.

No I don't. We did get to Gettysburg when I was maybe 8 but I only remember one thing about that whole trip. We did eat at them on our more frequent southern sojourns so I remember them collectively. There was also Howard Johnson's. Fast food was a novel idea in the day.

Back