CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 3 - 4 - 2021

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Image (16).jpg

This week's Throwback Thursday returns to school ca. 1987 for a visit to discuss the Civil War with members of a history class taught by the lady at right above and below whose name I've unfortunately forgotten. We're listening to my friend Ed Owens, one of several members of the North Texas Reenactment Society who attended wearing uniforms of both sides and various branches of service; he's a private of Confederate artillery, while I'm a generic company-grade officer. Other members were Confederate infantry and Union officer, infantry, and artillery. Educational activities like this were only another aspect of reenacting we participated in on a regular basis back in the day.

Image (17).jpg

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel that they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Last edited:

Story

Sergeant Major
I'm fairly positive this is a day or two before the festivities at the 135th Gettysburg began.

What I like about this was that - save for the car still in camp - this could be turned B&W and look like something from the Library of Congress' collection. Even the commo wire up on a 'Y' support looks field-authentic.

Note well the sheer number of tents.
hx5Pbfo.jpg

View attachment 393014

This week's Throwback Thursday returns to school ca. 1987 for a visit to discuss the Civil War with members of a history class taught by the lady at right above and below whose name I've unfortunately forgotten. We're listening to my friend Ed Owens, one of several members of the North Texas Reenactment Society who attended wearing uniforms of both sides and various branches of service; he's a private of Confederate artillery, while I'm a generic company-grade officer. Other members were Confederate infantry and Union officer, infantry, and artillery. Educational activities like this were only another aspect of reenacting we participated in on a regular basis back in the day.

View attachment 393015

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel that they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!
Love it !

I doubt many schools today would considerer such events.

history class taught by the lady at right above and below whose name I've unfortunately forgotten.
She does have an interesting look on her face.

I doubt she knew what to think about ya'll being in her classroom.

:smile coffee:

But no doubt the students loved it !