CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 3 - 18 - 2021

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
IM000869a crop.jpg

This week's Throwback Thursday goes back to April, 2012 and the 150th Anniversary reenactment of the Battle of Shiloh, featuring not myself this time (since I took the pictures), but instead Doug @1863surgeon Garnett and his sons Bradley the Yankee and Morgan the Rebel, posing to have their likenesses taken by one of the Daguerrean Artists present. The results, two fine ruby glass ambrotypes, are seen below. For additional photos from this event, please see:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/shiloh-150th-anniversary-reenactment-april-2012.183246/

Doug, Bradley, & Morgan1.JPG
Doug, Bradley, & Morgan2.JPG

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

IM000870a.JPG

Last edited:
In honor of Saint Patrick's Day, Co D 72nd PA in front of the Philadelphia Fire Department Museum back in 2004.

mzfgCjj.jpg

The 72nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment was organized at Philadelphia August 10, 1861 and drew many of it's enlistees from Philadelphia's (at the time) Independent Fire Departments. A total of 1,600 men went through the ranks of 72nd, of whom 1,053 became casualties to disease and wounds ( a 65% casualty rate).

The Philadelphia Brigade (which included the 69th, 72nd,106th and the 71st PA) stopped Pickett's Charge on July 3rd, 1863 during the Battle of Gettysburg.

The 69th PA was primarily Irish, while the 72nd took anyone who could work a rifle (but lots of Irish).
Guess that's a Fireman thing?

Appropriate music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78LzQGdWZgo

Image (8).jpg

In honor of Saint Patrick's Day, Co D 72nd PA in front of the Philadelphia Fire Department Museum back in 2004...
I suppose in honor of the day I could also post a couple of photos of the 28th Mass. of the Irish Brigade with which I served VERY briefly in the Wheatfield scenario at the 125th Gettysburg anniversary reenactment back in 1988!

Image (10).jpg

Last edited:
Back