CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 3-12-2020

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
cap008.JPG

This time of year as it gets near St. Patrick's Day always reminds me of being in Savannah, Georgia in 1989 filming Glory, so this week Throwback Thursday features a couple of screen captures of one of my favorite but purely accidental onscreen appearances. I had briefly stepped away from where I was standing off to one side to go say something to someone - I forget who or what - when the First A.D. or Assistant Director Skip Cosper literally grabbed me and stuck me into this spot where I got to watch Irish-American actor John Finn playing Sergeant Major Mulcahy drilling the troops! (Other actors in this scene are Jihimi Kennedy and Michael Smith Guess.) As I've noted before, St. Patrick's Day is to Savannah what Mardi Gras is to New Orleans, and on THE DAY itself after "burning Darien" our regular group adjourned to a suburban Mexican restaurant to avoid the downtown crowds and where we were joined by Matthew Broderick for the first and only time.

cap009.JPG

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history, or other events or work, vacation or other travel is welcome and encouraged to post them here in this weekly thread!

The Mulcahy character's language gives clues to a backstory as a regular soldier in both the British and American armies. A significant number of the rankers in the American Regular Army in 1861 were Irishmen who'd previously been British Regulars. At the time about a third of the rankers in the British army were Irishmen and British regiments stationed in Canada leaked soldiers across the border to the American army which offered better pay and conditions.

When I was stationed at Ft Stewart I was in Savannah just about ever weekend if I didn't have the duty. Back in those on St. Patrick's Day they would back that tanker truck on the old bridge a turn the river green but the tree huggers won't let them do that any more.

This movie more than anything else piqued my interest in the civil war. Like most, I had cursory knowledge based on what was taught in the classroom, but after watching this movie I had to know more.

It's fascinating to be on a civil war site with a member that was actually in the movie. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Why not show the clip James N. and the other parts of the motion picture you were in?? Sgt. Mulcahy was great!!!!! Hollywood is particular. If you're not a member of the Screen Actor's Guild (union membership required) you cant' have a speaking part. When my son was in HS here in Manassas, he took a drama class (I still don't know why he signed up for it). His teacher was the officer that read the execution order of the three Confederate soldiers that were condemned to death by firing squad in "G's and G's." I got to meet him at "back to school night". We talked all about being in the G's and G's movie at great length. Neat stuff being in the movies.

This movie more than anything else piqued my interest in the civil war. Like most, I had cursory knowledge based on what was taught in the classroom, but after watching this movie I had to know more.

It's fascinating to be on a civil war site with a member that was actually in the movie. Thank you for sharing your experience.
I was blown away when I saw it for the first time. I didn't even know about it when released, as I was in training myself at the time. I saw it for the first time in 1991. I can't remember if it was on vhs or hbo but, I remember being captivated by it. A fantastic movie. I've probably watched it at least a dozen times. Guarantee, I'll watch it again. :cool:

I was blown away when I saw it for the first time. I didn't even know about it when released, as I was in training myself at the time. I saw it for the first time in 1991. I can't remember if it was on vhs or hbo but, I remember being captivated by it. A fantastic movie. I've probably watched it at least a dozen times. Guarantee, I'll watch it again. :cool:

I saw the movie, Glory, in a movie theater in Watertown, NY, while I was stationed at Ft. Drum, NY. May have been 1989/90, about a year before I retired from the US Army. The movie got me interested in Civil War reenacting, as I saw all those reenacting units listed in the credits after the movie.

Then, at the ripe old age of 38, I retired, went back to Ohio, and started reenacting in 1993. A fellow reenactor, Ron Goodwin, then tipped me off to this forum and I've been here ever since. Ron has since passed onto his Reward but I can never thank him, and the movie, enough for getting me involved here and in reenacting.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Last edited:
I saw the movie, Glory, in a movie theater in Watertown, NY, while I was stationed at Ft. Drum, NY. May have been 1989/90, about a year before I retired from the US Army. The movie got me interested in Civil War reenacting, as I saw all those reenacting units listed in the credits after the movie.

Then, at the ripe old age of 38, I retired, went back to Ohio, and started reenacting in 1993. A fellow reenactor, Ron Goodwin, then tipped me off to this forum and I've been here ever since. Ron has since passed onto his Reward but I can never thank hime, and the movie, for getting me involved here and in reenacting.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
Oh man. I was in Aviation Logistics school @ Ft Eustis, VA in early 1990. I specifically remember a guy graduating that spring, who was horrified, he got orders to Ft Drum..! :rofl:

I've seen Glory more times than any other CW movie. I'm one of those people who routinely speak in movie quotes. Glory is still in my vocabulary :biggrin: I have considered re-enacting. I just can't commit. I have too many other interests pulling at me.

Oh man. I was in Aviation Logistics school @ Ft Eustis, VA in early 1990. I specifically remember a guy graduating that spring, who was horrified, he got orders to Ft Drum..! :rofl:

I can understand his being horrified. It was at one time, CAMP Drum, with mainly WWII wooden barracks in a part of upstate New York with just cows and fields. The winters had been shown to be colder than those in Alaska! The saying about the place when I got there was "Ft. Drum is 35 miles from Canada and three feet from HE**!" All that lake effect snow sure made for a very COLD experience!

I was lucky in one sense. The 10th Mountain Division was reactivated as a Light Infantry Division at Ft. Drum and brand new brick barracks were constructed along with all the support service a division of 15,000 to 20,000 men would need. I only spent 3 months in the WWII barracks and then had to move my MI battalion into our new barracks and facilities.

Coldest day I ever had there was on Thanksgiving, 1989, in a snow and ice covered pup tent out on an FTX. My barbecue MRE didn't quite cut it as a Thanksgiving dinner!

I've seen Glory more times than any other CW movie. I'm one of those people who routinely speak in movie quotes. Glory is still in my vocabulary :biggrin:

Thought it was a great movie and watched it many times. LOVE the drill segments! As a former 1ST SGT, how could I not?

I have considered re-enacting. I just can't commit. I have too many other interests pulling at me.

Some of the best experiences of my life happened while reenacting. Loved all of the 10+ years my wife and I did. Sorry you can't get an opportunity to involve yourself in it. Really makes you appreciate your worst days in the field with the modern Army!

Until our next post,
Unionblue

Then, at the ripe old age of 38, I retired, went back to Ohio, and started reenacting in 1993. A fellow reenactor, Ron Goodwin, then tipped me off to this forum and I've been here ever since. Ron has since passed onto his Reward but I can never thank hime, and the movie, for getting me involved here and in reenacting.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Sincerely,
Unionblue
I got out of the Army from Ft. Drum in 1988. Not my favorite post. Lol

GLORY is a wonderful movie. I've no doubt it was a lot of fun to work on. I've never had the same experience, but I've worked with a few actors in my advertising career. One of the grizzled older guerrillas in RIDE WITH THE DEVIL did voice work from time to time for our agency--a nice guy and a good actor. A humorist / author / musician / television actor retired to our city and worked with us in a regional television spot once. Fun days!

Alamo - The Price of Freedom 005.jpg

Why not show the clip James N. and the other parts of the motion picture you were in?? Sgt. Mulcahy was great!!!!! Hollywood is particular. If you're not a member of the Screen Actor's Guild (union membership required) you cant' have a speaking part. When my son was in HS here in Manassas, he took a drama class (I still don't know why he signed up for it). His teacher was the officer that read the execution order of the three Confederate soldiers that were condemned to death by firing squad in "G's and G's." I got to meet him at "back to school night". We talked all about being in the G's and G's movie at great length. Neat stuff being in the movies.
Happily, that isn't so! To digress a bit from Glory, in 1987 I spent six weeks in South Texas at Brackettville where I worked on an IMAX movie filmed on John Wayne's old 1959 movie set called Alamo - The Price of Freedom where I was cast as Moses Rose, the Alamo defender who decides Discretion is the Better Part of Valor and deserts. (The photo above shows me as Rose talking with actor Steve Sandor who played Jim Bowie; below, in a scene that was cut I'm sitting beside Bowie on his deathbed.) I was originally there on set as a reenactor representing both a Mexican soldado and (at first) an unnamed Alamo defender until I was selected for this short bit part. On the days the character "Moses Rose" was included specifically on the call sheet, I received a *bump* in daily pay, which as I remember was $45, rising on those few days to $150. For the day that included my BIG SCENE where I had and delivered a single line I was paid Union Scale, then around $430. (Unfortunately my line was cut in final editing.) By regulation I was OFFERED the opportunity to join the SAG but it was by no means required, and since I then had no reason to think an event like this would be repeated I declined.

Alamo - The Price of Freedom.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 350836

Happily, that isn't so! To digress a bit from Glory, in 1987 I spent six weeks in South Texas at Brackettville where I worked on an IMAX movie filmed on John Wayne's old 1959 movie set called Alamo - The Price of Freedom where I was cast as Moses Rose, the Alamo defender who decides Discretion is the Better Part of Valor and deserts. (The photo above shows me as Rose talking with actor Steve Sandor who played Jim Bowie; below, in a scene that was cut I'm sitting beside Bowie on his deathbed.) I was originally there on set as a reenactor representing both a Mexican soldado and (at first) an unnamed Alamo defender until I was selected for this short bit part. On the days the character "Moses Rose" was included specifically on the call sheet, I received a *bump* in daily pay, which as I remember was $45, rising on those few days to $150. For the day that included my BIG SCENE where I had and delivered a single line I was paid Union Scale, then around $430. (Unfortunately my line was cut in final editing.) By regulation I was OFFERED the opportunity to join the Union but it was by no means required, and since I had no reason to think this would be repeated I declined.

View attachment 350837

James N. ,

Although you are not a member of the Guild, I will still ask you for your autograph whenever I get the chance to see you in person.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Even when they modernized it, it was still a non-favorite of mine. :smile:

But at least we both have the satisfaction that, through our combined efforts, we held the 'evil' Canadian Empire at the border!
Yeah, right! Lol. The year before I was at Camp Casey holding off the other evil empire!

Back