CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 3 - 11 - 2021

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Ironclads 2 022.jpg

Since March is the anniversary of the 1862 naval Battle of Hampton Roads between the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia/Merrimac and @ami was kind enough to feature my old thread about working on the 1991 Ted Turner movie version Ironclads, I thought it was also grist for this week's Throwback Thursday as well! Above, I'm seen amid other extras, uniformed as a Union ship's officer cradling my original M.1852 Naval Officer's Sword by the Ames Mfg. Co. and aboard a small raft or barge representing the Monitor at Westover Landing in the James River. For a time in the summer of 1862 Monitor was actually moored here at what was part of McClellan's Harrison's Landing position following his unsuccessful Peninsula Campaign.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil war-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and heartily encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
View attachment 393916

Since March is the anniversary of the 1862 naval Battle of Hampton Roads between the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia/Merrimac and @ami was kind enough to feature my old thread about working on the 1991 Ted Turner movie version Ironclads, I thought it was also grist for this week's Throwback Thursday as well! Above, I'm seen amid other extras, uniformed as a Union ship's officer cradling my original M.1852 Naval Officer's Sword by the Ames Mfg. Co. and aboard a small raft or barge representing the Monitor at Westover Landing in the James River. For a time in the summer of 1862 Monitor was actually moored here at what was part of McClellan's Harrison's Landing position following his unsuccessful Peninsula Campaign.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil war-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and heartily encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!
Is there any look you can't pull off?

View attachment 393916

When I was a kid, I went with my family to the Civil War Museum of Naval History in Columbus, Georgia (2002-2003). They had an exhibit of, among other things, select props and models from the film Ironclads. They had the film playing on a small screen at the Museum gift shop, from which my uncle bought me the VHS (ancient technology, lol). Fun memories. :smile:

James,

Have you ever considered taking your amazing pictures and your detailed stories which are awesome to read, and combining all of them into a book?

Although I’m not a reenactor, I do look foward to your posts. I’m sure others here can attest to that as well.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

Back