CivilWarTalk Throwback Thursday, 2-4-2021

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (7)crop.jpg

This week Throwback Thursday revisits a vacation trip in 1997 to Old Washington Historic State Park, Arkansas, subject of a *NEW* thread this week:

Old Washington Historic State Park, Arkansas | The Traveler's Companion - Visit Historic Sites (civilwartalk.com)

I'm seen here standing beside the trunk of a HUGE magnolia "witness tree", supposedly planted in 1836 in the yard of a now-long-gone antebellum house in the charming former county seat, Washington, which served 1863-1865 as the last Arkansas Confederate State Capital. The tree now stands several stories tall, its branches curving down to touch the ground around it, covering the entire city lot on which it was originally planted! (In the thread I mistakenly attributed its age at 200+ years; it should instead be 185 this year.) For additional photos of the park and its structures, please follow the link.

Anyone else having (preferably) old Civil War-related photos, mementoes, or memorabilia from reenactments, living history or other events or vacation or other travel they would like to share with us is welcome and encouraged to do so in this weekly thread!

Last edited:
scan0032.jpg

I'll play.

1996, 'somewhere'. Our fearless First Sergeant at the time, snoozing.
View attachment 389928
The "sleepers" were always good for a laugh and a photo, as myself above and this extra below, both photographed on the "Burning Darien" set of Glory:

scan0033.jpg

Back